• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Wheeler better then Harvey
  • To:All
  • 4/11/13
  • jsmet
According to the minor league experts. That remains to be seen. But they might be right.
When I saw him pitch which a small sample in spring training I thought he had some nasty
Stuff in his delivery. They say he has control problems at times. Hopefully in time he will straighten that out.
They said that about Harvey as well that he had control problems at times when he was in the minors.
But as we can see now he has pretty much overcome that. Now it is Wheelers turn . He could be the second
Real deal in the making.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/11/13
  • metsfanforlife

And do you believe that the boy is so fragile that if he were to be promoted and put on the big stage, that his confidence would crumble the first time that he didn't succeed?

I personally think that he would give us a better shot to win than Hefner and Laffey.

So many people want the prospects to spend 1/2 their career in the minor leagues, yet once they arrive in the bigs and produce they want to trade them for more prospects....what a vicious cycle...

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/11/13
  • jsmet

>>>>And do you believe that the boy is so fragile that if he were to be promoted and put on the big stage, that his confidence would crumble the first time that he didn't succeed?I personally think that he would give us a better shot to win than Hefner and Laffey.So many people want the prospects to spend 1/2 their career in the minor leagues, yet once they arrive in the bigs and produce they want to trade them for more prospects....what a vicious cycle.<<<

I agree on evreything you say you are 110% right.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/11/13
  • metsfanforlife

Thank you sir. I feel like I'm on a boat all by myself and the average fan listens to everything that the Met brass tells us.

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/11/13
  • nymfan718

"So many people want the prospects to spend 1/2 their career in the minor leagues, yet once they arrive in the bigs and produce they want to trade them for more prospects....what a vicious cycle..."

Would agree if not for the gross hyperbole. In the case of Wheeler people want him down for a couple of months, Montero, fans seem to think a one more year in the minors. How is that anywhere near half their career in the minors, do you think Wheeler's career is going to last 4 months?. What fanbase actively wants their team to trade their prospects?

Edited 4/11/13   by  nymfan718
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/11/13
  • metsfanforlife

People really want Wheeler to stay a couple more months in the minor leagues? The only people that want that are the ones that are trying to save money which is not the average fan.

Do you really believe that a couple more months will cure him? Can he not work with the major league coaching staff, as well as work with the highly touted John Buck? This is all about business, nothing less.

With more practice, you might be able to tryout for the job as the Mets PR's assistant, but currently if I was your manager, I would keep you for two more months in the minor leagues.

No more posts from you for two more months!!!

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/11/13
  • thagreat1
Harvey too had control problems at Wheeler stage. Look at him now. And what experts say Wheeler is better?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/11/13
  • thagreat1
How do you remember to say let's go mets after every post?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/11/13
  • metsfanforlife

Because I truly am a METS FAN!!

I remember being at a game when I was about 16...I was sitting behind home plate. We were playing San Diego, and it was beach towel day from Met Life. Kevin Elster got beaned in the middle of his back. He turned and rushed the mound as the benches cleared. I had the smarts to start chanting LETS GO METS as I whipped my towel in the air, and then the whole stadium with about 50K Mets fans started doing it as well. Nothing like a brawl as you cheer your team on!!!

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/11/13
  • thagreat1
Omg.. that was YOU who started that chant?!!!?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/11/13
  • metsfanforlife

Were you at that game? I'll never forget it!!!

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/11/13
  • govmule72

"So many people want the prospects to spend 1/2 their career in the minor leagues, yet once they arrive in the bigs and produce they want to trade them for more prospects....what a vicious cycle..."

Amen, it gets ridiculous after a while. And these people fancy them selves intelligent baseball fans.

No, they're just thinking the same wrong way as everyone else who thinks like them because those people did first.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/11/13
  • metsfanforlife

Thanks. You would think on a 'Mets' message board, the majority of fans could agree on the big things, but that's not the case. There must be just a handful of true Met fans here, and the rest are being produced by one family on the east side with multiple screen names!!!

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/11/13
  • 1986champs
I agree 100% with you. Why not let Wheeler pitch to Buck and let him learn the major league way of pitching. Sometimes these so called #1 prospects just are not challenged enough in the minors and they just lose concentration with the competition. If Wheeler is as good as advertised he should have no problem RIGHT NOW in pitching in the Majors.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/11/13
  • nymfan718

"People really want Wheeler to stay a couple more months in the minor leagues? The only people that want that are the ones that are trying to save money which is not the average fan.

Do you really believe that a couple more months will cure him? Can he not work with the major league coaching staff, as well as work with the highly touted John Buck? This is all about business, nothing less."

You missed the part where I said I would agree with you if not for the extreme exaggeration (saying people want to kept prospects in the minors for half their career). Being that Wheeler missed spring training, what so crazy about keeping wheeler in the minors for one month.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/11/13
  • 86kid

>>>"According to the minor league experts. That remains to be seen. But they might be right.
When I saw him pitch which a small sample in spring training I thought he had some nasty
Stuff in his delivery. They say he has control problems at times. Hopefully in time he will straighten that out. They said that about Harvey as well that he had control problems at times when he was in the minors. But as we can see now he has pretty much overcome that. Now it is Wheelers turn . He could be the second Real deal in the making."<<<

Yes. And I think the control thing gets overblown sometimes in young pitchers. It seems like I hear that much more often on prospects than not.

Its a maturing and focusing process. I'd venture to say that the vast majority of pitchers coming through the minors are learning the hone control of their pitches - especially those who have 3- 4 pitches.

I mean, Zack is rated a Top 10 prospect for a reason, so I don't think scouts are worried about him being able to learn to control his stuff better as he matures.

I think all the Mets want to see now is for him to show them 4-5 consistent starts down there. I don't think he needs to dominate down their to be called up. I think he just has to show consistency and command of stuff for a good month or so. I mean, I Harvey wasn't exactly dominating at the time he came up either as I recall.

Edited 4/11/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/12/13
  • metsfanforlife

Because the team is struggling with our back of the rotation starters. Show the team and the fan base that you're willing to do whatever it takes to try and fix the problem... I guess my expectations are higher than most, but I see promise with the core guys that we have now. We just need management to show that they have some stones!!

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/12/13
  • metsfanforlife

And even if he does have a problem, why not have the best guys in the organization help him with any necessary adjustments. If I was a young ballplayer, I would be excited to get the big league opportunity and show the world who I was. Let's bring him up and see what he's got!!!

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/12/13
  • Metsbert

~~~ This is all about business, nothing less. ~~~

You said it all right here. 20 Games in the minors and the Mets get an extra year out of him. I don't see the problem. The Mets are not expected to compete this year, so why not do the right thing and do what's necessary to keep the future phenom for as long as possible?

If the Mets were able to compete, and had a better team, then yes, I'll disagree with Mets management and have him in the Show ASAP. For an example of how it's done correctly, look at the Nationals. In 2010 they weren't ready to compete, but had Strasburg in the minors. They didn't bring him up until June. So now they have him for an additional year, and I think longer, at an affordable contract.

Now as a fan, would I prefer Wheeler be up here already? Of course. What fan wouldn't? But as I see the long term plans the Mets have, I accept what they're doing with him.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/12/13
  • Metsbert

~~~ I remember being at a game when I was about 16...I was sitting behind home plate. We were playing San Diego, and it was beach towel day from Met Life. Kevin Elster got beaned in the middle of his back. He turned and rushed the mound as the benches cleared. I had the smarts to start chanting LETS GO METS as I whipped my towel in the air, and then the whole stadium with about 50K Mets fans started doing it as well. Nothing like a brawl as you cheer your team on!!! ~~~

I remember that game. It was in '87-'88, right? I was with my girlfriend on a date, and I hated Kevin Elster because my gf had a crush on him (I was a stupid kid). We returned to her house, and her sister (who I shamefully liked better than my gf LOL) was a huge Mets fan. As soon as we came through the door, she came up to us telling us about the brawl, and how Elster had the pitcher in a headlock, and my gf playfully hit me for making her miss it. I remember I tried to get tix for that game to get the towelsm, but it was sold out.

• Reply to this Message