• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• 40-man roster questions
  • To:All
  • 2/20/13
  • brianinwi

So, I keep hearing that the Mets may have some 40-man roster issues when they get through Spring Training. Yet, when I look at the 40-man (http://mlb.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=nym), I see a couple names in the very low minors that don't seem to have much chance of playing in the majors this year.

What's the logic of having guys like Gonzalez Germen, Hansel Robles, or Wilfredo Tovar on the 40-man roster? Does this keep them from getting poached by other teams? If so, why are they on the roster instead of higher-profile prospects like Syndergaard? Are they just placeholders because they have options left?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/20/13
  • hlandrith
They were put on to protect them as they were Rule 5 eligible. They only way to take them off is to DFA them and then any team can sign them. Profile has nothing to do with it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/20/13
  • Gepett0

truthfully, germen is just on there for some added pitching depth and, if we have 40 man issues, he will be one of the first to get axed

tovar is a near ready mlb back up short stop that was eligible for the rule 5 this year....he most definitely would not have made it through

robles was a little intriguing....the thought apparently was that he was rule 5 eligible and some team might see a polished enough reliever to take him and see if they could carry him long enough to keep him around...probably a bad team like the stros

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/20/13
  • 4545_ajd

Rule 5 draft eligibility-

Players are eligible for selection in the Rule 5 draft who are not on their major league organization's 40-man roster and:

– were 18 or younger on the June 5 preceding their signing and this is the FIFTH Rule 5 draft upcoming; or

– were 19 or older on the June 5 preceding their signing and this is FOURTH Rule 5 draft upcoming.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/20/13
  • GoMets6986

Personally I would be willing to get rid of German, Havens, Elvin, Hefner, Hicks, Lutz, and maybe Lagares and Tovar. I think the Mets would be willing to get rid of Havens, German, and Hicks. If you DFA those 3 and then trade/DFA Elvin and/or Lutz we should have space on the roster.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/20/13
  • gomets66

. I think the Mets would be willing to get rid of Havens, German, and Hicks.>>>

it sounds like hicks has basically locked up a MI backup spot. FO got him for that role. not to win the role.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/20/13
  • Gepett0

i would not get rid of elvin, lagares, or tovar

honestly lagares has the best shot of anybody above AA of being an everyday mlb player (only if he can stay in center) due to his high contact ability

tovar is already a better major league player at back up SS than quintanilla (or even possibly hicks)

elvin ramirez is a very useful young bp arm that gets bashed for having little control in his mlb debut even though it was clear that (at only 24) he was not quite ready....hes not a huge loss but there is a reason that scouts like this kid - he has a very big arm

personally i am ok w/ dfaing havens and german to start and im not totally opposed to getting hefner or lutz off the roster (or dfa hicks and give tovar the job)

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/21/13
  • MetObserver
The thing is that if you want to add an outfielder to the 40 you should drop an outfielder. Pitchers are the ones that will most likely be added as we form a bull pen since Feliciano, Hawkins and a few others that have a chance may make the team. So for every pitcher added we really need to drop off a pitcher. Like wise with the outfield. The infield looks like it is set and only Havens is really not needed unless this is his year. But if he bombs in ST look for him to be DFA'd.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/21/13
  • brianinwi

OK, that helps.

Profile must have SOMETHING to do with it, though, since anyone drafting a Rule V must keep them on the 25-man roster for the entire season or they are returned to the originating team. So, the Mets must be worried that these players are good enough -- right now -- to stick at the major league level.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/21/13
  • hlandrith

Well, once a player is Rule 5 eligible, sure. You asked why Robles & not Syndergaard? R was Rule 5 eligible S not (despite a higher profile).

It's a tricky game because once you protect someone from Rule 5 (where to be taken they must stay on another's 25-man). To DFA him to make room on your 40-man, he must pass through waivers and the claiming team need not use up a 25-man spot for him. But if nobody claims him, you can sign him to a MinL deal.

• Reply to this Message