• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• d'Arnaud or Buck?
  • To:All
  • 2/17/13
  • LiveWire13

Apparently I'm alone on this one, but I still believe Buck will disappoint quickly and Alderson will call up d'Arnaud will be the starting catcher for much of 2013. Am I wrong?

http://mets360.com/?p=14890

Mike

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • jets_mets
I agree. John Buck is a good back up because he can call a good game and handle pitchers. His offense leaves a lot to be desired. Offensively I'd rather have Thole to be honest. Buck is a very low 200s hitter with occasional power.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • danthemetfan
TDA will be the starter by Mid May, June at the latest.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • LiveWire13

Buck's numbers last year certainly left a lot of room for improvement...
At least Thole hit for a decent average, most of the time, even if it was all singles.

By worry about either when you have a kid who can hit for a high average and power, hopefully?

Mike

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • 4545_ajd
Thole was awful last year, even hitting .192 Buck still had a higher OBP, and obviously hit for much more power.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • MetObserver
Even with a repeat of last years numbers Bucks .198 compared to Thole's .234 Buck wound up with 12 hrs and 41 rbis against Thole with 1 hr and 21 rbis. With similar plate appearances Buck actually had about 40 less at bats.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • Oldfan

<<"Apparently I'm alone on this one, but I still believe Buck will disappoint quickly and Alderson will call up d'Arnaud will be the starting catcher for much of 2013. Am I wrong?"

I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't believe TDA will be the starting catcher for most of 2013.

The Mets didn't trade trade the CY Young winner so Buck could be their #1 catcher this year.

• Reply to this Message
Messages 548405.8 through 548405.9 were deleted
  • 2/17/13
  • Oldfan

Probably has to do with compound names, especially European.

Most cases the first part of the last name is not capitalized, i.e; Matt den Dekker.

I'm guessing the apostrophe separates the d from Arnaud and makes it a compound name.

• Reply to this Message
Message 548405.11 was deleted
  • 2/17/13
  • Oldfan
I'm pretty sure you would capitalize the d if D'Arnaud began a sentence, so it probably appears that way at times.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548405.13 was deleted
  • 2/17/13
  • Kranesback
I think it's like "from" as in "from Arnaud".
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • MetObserver
Or of Arnaud going back to small villages where everyone knew everybody in town.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • Kranesback
Exactly....I think Duda is Polish for "can't field".
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • Oldfan
I'd rather be named Dances with Wolves.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548405.18 was deleted
  • 2/17/13
  • AdrianMonk

I picture Buck as the Jon Voight character in "Midnight Cowboy".
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • thebobymon

Greek for

"Don't hit it to me"

• Reply to this Message