New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Details of OF platoon
  • To:All
  • 2/17/13
  • brianinwi

How do you see this going down?

Looks like they're just going to stick Duda in left unless (until?) he falls flat on his face. So, I'm guessing they'll put

Baxter/Brown - RF
Nieuwenhuis/Cowgill - CF
Duda - LF

Den Dekker will probably start the year in Vegas.

Maybe sliding Kirk to left for defense in the late innings.

If Den Dekker makes the team or gets called up, maybe Nieuwenhuis goes to the bench and spells Duda in left?

What do you guys think?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • 4545_ajd
I think Marlon Byrd is going to find a spot somewhere.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • metthunder
Collins already has Byrd penciled in as starting RF in an interview, but how about they see if he can still hit. Would be a nice pearl under the pile of poo. A righty hitting RF with pop, if there is any pop left.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • brianinwi
Yeah, let's see what Byrd has left in the tank. An interesting pick-up, for sure.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • metthunder
you're probably right, but Collins likes Byrd in RF and I like den Decker tho he's a longshot this April, but look at teams like Rockies who have OF prospects who are ready, they may be turning over their OF in a bad year to reduce payroll. Look at other teams too especially those who have players in the dog house like Backs did with Upton like Cashen would.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • brianinwi
I like Den Dekker, too, but I don't think he'll be ready by Opening Day. He needs at least a half season in AAA. If he follows his usual pattern, he takes a half-season to adjust at each level. It would be good to bring Den Dekker up by midseason so he can adjust to the majors yet this year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • metthunder
agree and when he gets here, my gut says he will surprise, or they can even be showcasing him then.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • brianinwi
Den Dekker certainly could put up some gaudy power numbers in Vegas.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • Metopia
He's got a great name if he's got power.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • RobfromLI
Valdespin will be in the mix as well, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a semi-platoon with Duda. Perhaps not every lefty but the tougher lefty pitchers. He will get plenty of PH AB's any way.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • thebobymon

You forgot Terry's new love interest.

Byrd.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • metsnation
i agree. Byrd unless he totally flops will go north with the team and they will see what he has left for the first month or two. If he stinks they will release him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 2/17/13
  • MetObserver
One thing is almost certain that out of all of those candidated we can or will only carry 5 of them. And the mix and match should be 3 lefty and 2 righty bats. My guess is Duda,Baxter,Newy and Cowgill, Byrd. If Den Dekker stays up either Newy or Baxter go. And if Brown works out then Byrd goes.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • danthemetfan
No he didnt. What Collins said is Byrd has the ability to be the everyday RF. If Byrd can play like he did a few years ago in Chicago, he will not be a part of a platoon. That is a big if. The only spot in the OF that is closed is LF.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • bmcneely
think it would be unfair to Newy's development he needs to play everyday at AAA or up here no bench role.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • bmcneely
If Byrd or Patterson make this team out of camp IMO we are in worse shape in the OF than people originally thought.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • jsmet
Looks like no body is guaranteed a spot until after spring training.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • hamp
I think that just from reading the previous posts,its a big we'll see with the exception of Duda in LF.....after that it appears that this OF competition will make spring training interesting!!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • Kranesback
A bench role may be his career ceiling...let's. hope not, but as of now, that's how it looks.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • bmcneely
Maybe but it would be foolish to not give him a proper chance to at least see before declaring him a bench player.
  • Reply to this Message