• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
  • To:All
  • 2/12/13
  • drjoe807
Those were the exact words uttered by Warner Wolf when describing an Outfield of Duda, Kirk and Baxter....He said Mets are not concerned about winning in 2013....and i completely agree...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • danthemetfan
We all agreed with that, which is why they traded Dickey for players for who will make the team better in the coming years. There are very few who think the Mets will compete this year, unless they play way over their heads.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • MetObserver

Those three are all left handed options so if he thinks that is the everyday outfield Warner is not too bright.

Replacing Kirk/Baxter against left handers with Cowgill/ Brown balances that outfield much better when you look at the splits.

Not that it would be a premium outfield but also not as bad as many are making it out to be. If we have a much more solid infield including catcher I believe the team will be better than last year.

Any kid we try out there has to do better than what Bay gave us last year. And it won't be hard to get more than Torres gave us either.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • johnyringo

being better than last year means nothing to me...

Last year was a joke of a season I would like to forget all togehter....worse 1/2 a season of BB I ever saw..they completely folded up the tents

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • MetObserver

Yes I am sure that these Major league players intentionally played poorly in the second half. Because they all wanted to lower their expectations in future contract because they all want to make less in their careers. Do you see how stupid that assertion is? They played over their heads in the first half and continued to put pressure on themselves to match that in the second half only once hit with a few setbacks they failed to accomplish that feat.

But no let's just say it was a conspiracy theory like they folded their tents just to make clowns like you happy.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • burningmyeyes
Listen last season we had a little Fools GOLD that gave us fun a couple months. Reality is, This TEAM LACKS TALENT in To many spots. No Money to fix it so it is what it is. I just wish Sandy would STOP making us Met fans out to be idiots. Keep dangling carrots (Bourne) in our face then say OOPS sorry. The reality is, we lost a Batting Champion and a CY Young winner in Nack to back seasons. We better hope this kid D'arnoud is something or we are really done for a while! A catcher with bad knees and a hurt back, Yeah Im optimistic about him!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • metsheart
Mets had Pelfrey go down for the season in April.

Gee pitched w/ a numb arm for 1/2 season before going down.

Santana pitched lights out for 1/2 season & then got stepped on in Cubs gm & injured his ankle. From that time on for his last 5 starts before going down Santana had 15.43 ERA.

Schwinden/ Batista/ Beato/ Hefner/ McHugh had to be pressed into starting roles. And STUNK UP THE JOINT!!!

Plus Byrdak -- Mets most reliable reliever -- was out 1/2 the season. Missed 6 weeks up front w/ knee problem. Then out from August on w/ shoulder trouble.

So 3 of projected SP's went down for 1/2 season or more + most reliable reliever (lefty!) out for at least 1/2 the season.

From July 2012 on Mets lost 12 gms (10 of those losses by 3 runs or less) while scoring 4+ runs:

7/5 vs Phils: 5-6
7/6 vs Cubs 7-8 (when Santana injured his ankle)
7/13 vs Braves: 5-7
7/14 vs Braves: 7-8
7/17 vs Nats: 4-5
7/20 vs Dodgers: 6-7
7/21 vs Dodgers: 5-8
7/27 vs D-backs: 5-11

8/17 vs Nats: 4-6

9/13 vs Cards: 4-5
9/15 vs Brewers: 6-9
9/ 25 vs Pirates: 6-10

But you go right on believing Mets position players just "gave up" in 2nd half. Just disregard all those pitching injuries & how HORRENDOUS their replacements were even though Mets scored 4 runs or more in those 12 losses. I'm sure that had NOTHING to do w/ Mets poor 2nd half!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • johnyringo

Think about it like this on an effort scale from 1-100 a score of 49 means a player is intentionally playing poorly .

A score of 99 means the player has folded up the tent.
See…. I don’t think you understand how hard BB really is….

it’s hard….and even a 99 does not cut it…it never will...99 will never win so if you give 99 your quitting

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • johnyringo

I dont want any stats thank you...

I watched the games...all of them and I will trust in what I saw then..

thanks again anyway though

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • jgrangers2
Yes, because this allows you to avoid any rational discussion and just go on believing whatever it is that makes you happy. Had Wally been the manager and they played exactly the same, I'm willing to bet you'd be defending their effort. Again, I want examples of individual players who dogged it. Moments of complete lack of effort. Can you give me any of those?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • johnyringo

Did you even read my post...

a "complete lack of effor" are you serious...

Dont you understand that the slightest lack of effort changes everything in BB?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • jgrangers2
So you have the ability, from your couch, to see the difference between 100% and 99% effort?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • johnyringo

yeah...when you watch a team play for over 500 hours you start to get a feel...

and hey maybe I am wrong....but either way its what I felt while watching the games and nothing anybody ever says can change that...I do know how I feel with 100% accuracy.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • govmule72
What does Warner Wolf know? Yeah, 30 stolen bases would have gotten us so many more wins. smh.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • thagreat1

" being better than last year means nothing to me..."
Well last year we had 74 wins. Ten more wins (which our deeper bullpen can give us alone, not including better years from Davis and catcher position) and all of a sudden we have an outside shot at wild card.

Being better than last year means something to me.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • johnyringo

Okay but being better than last yEar by itself means nothing...

Unless we show a better effort in the second half than last year....that would mean alot to me

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • jgrangers2
Feelings are often driven by bias. Your eyes can be as deceiving as anything when you go into a situation looking for something that isn't necessarily there.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548271.18 was deleted
  • 2/12/13
  • metsheart
Just ignore Mets had THREE of 5 projected starting pitchers PLUS most reliable reliever go down for 1/2 season or more. And just ignore Mets lost TWLEVE games scoring at least 4 runs from the time Gee & Santana went down (after Pelfrey was out from April). Ignore how horrendous SP replacements performed.

Instead just keep believing young players trying to make a case for the major league team to keep them up with the big club just decided they didn't want to try to win in the 2nd half. They'd rather go back down to AAA & take it easy in oblivion. Yah. That makes PERFECT sense.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • jgrangers2
It's not really a conspiracy. This guy just sees what he wants to see. It justifies his belief that Wally is the savior that this team needs.
  • Reply to this Message