• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Was anyone surprised?
  • To:All
  • 2/12/13
  • shawnfrompa

Was there actually anyone left on this forum that was surprised Bourn agreed to a four-year, $48 million deal with the Indians? Does anyone beleive the Mets decision was based on anything other than MONEY? Does anyone beleive they were ever going to pay him close to market value? Even if it may have been their last chance in 2013 for them to field a product that resembles a Major League baseball team?

It was all a smokescreen, and if you beleive different good luck with life because being naive in this world is a huge disadvantage. Just ask the Wilponzis about all the money they lost with their naivety.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • reinman43
I was 90% sure the Mets were not going to sign Bourn. We all know the SA m.o. and I am all for it at least for this season, S.A. is bargain shopping and building, stocking the minor league system. I was not dissapointed at all that they didnt sign Bourn.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • giantsmets
Pleasantly surprised yes. In my mind, I thought they would sign him and it would have turned into a mistake contract for 3 of the 4 years, clogging up the teams pitiful payroll. Would he have helped this year? Sure. Was he a real game changer? No, .270 hitters with no power are not game changers. He is a decent player, don't get me wrong, but a 4 year year deal for him has mistake written all over it. Since he depends on his legs, at age 30 he is already stealing less and that trend is likely to continue. What we would wind up with is another Castillo but for $12M instead of $6M, except Castillo got on base more. Remember how bad we wanted him out of here by year 2 of a 4 year deal? Like I said, he would have helped this year, but having him have over 10% of this teams payroll would not have been good in future years.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • DFAB
let's see what the Mets do now....probably nothing...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • shawnfrompa

No, .270 hitters with no power are not game changers.

--> How would you describe Mookie Wilson? Did he fill a need for the Mets while putting up similar if not lesser numbers than Bourn? The Mets desperately need a center fielder and desperately need a lead off hitter. He fit those needs and if you believe Alderson was affordable for the Mets. How many draft picks end up with numbers even close to Bourn?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • DFAB
there is more to baseball than just hrs...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • kazmiritis
The first few months of the off-season all we read about was Upton. Now, Bourn. I never once believed for an instant that either one was coming here. I've been so conditioned for disappointment I was surprised enough this team made any MLB signings (Marcum, Lyons). The OF will be a recurring joke all season long.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • nutz4pugs

Mookie was a good CFer but not the greatest of leadoff hitters, he struck out too much, and he wasn't the fielder that Bourne is.

Mookie was at his best when he was part of the Dykstra/Wilson platoon and even at that, Lenny was the better leadoff hitter/fielder.

I loved Mookie, but he wasn't by any stretch a game changer.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • nutz4pugs

I'm okay with it, if that 4th year and not the dollars was the determining factor. Speed is his game, we all know that. But there are two things that afflict players whose main game is speed. Age and injury.

Now, maybe Bourne has'nt been hit by the injury bug, but I'll bet that between now and the end of his contract, he'll spend more than a few days on the DL as he gets older and those legs start to ache more and more.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • shawnfrompa

--> Do the Mets win a championship in '86 without Wilson? Can speed at the top of an order change a game? Can an error or lack of range in CF change a game? You can argue that Bourn is a better all around player than Wilson was. Exactly who do you see in the Mets system that is going to provide what the Mets need at the top of the order and in CF in 2013?

Not signing Bourn confirms what many already believed to be true. The Mets are not the least bit serious about being competitive in 2013. Some on here (maybe most) are OK with this. I am not part of that club. It is my belief that when you have the privilege of playing in the largest sports market on the planet you can and should be able to build and compete at the same time.

And they REALLY REALLY need to stop their transparent and insulting attempts to deceive their dwindling fan base.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Deadtrek

There is also a great possibly that Bourn never wanted to be a Met....

if true - smart man.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • lizzz

" How would you describe Mookie Wilson? "

Good point. The game of baseball is not only about homeruns. Getting on base, moving runners over....that'll score runs too.... Stuff that doesn't show up on stats.

I thought Melvin Mora was very valuable to our organization. When they traded him, I thought it was a big mistake. Oh well.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • shawnfrompa

--> "As a guy that likes to drive in runners, I would love Bourn to be on the bases when I'm hitting just because how he CHANGES the game," Davis said before being honored at the Thurman Munson Awards in New York City. "We're going to see more fastballs if he's on the team, he's definitely going to help out the second hole hitter, David (Wright), me, in every aspect of the game. Yeah, it would be great. He's also an amazingly good defender out in center field."

~~ Ike Davis

• Reply to this Message
Message 548253.14 was deleted
  • 2/12/13
  • giantsmets
How would I describe Mookie Wilson? I loved Mookie but he was a platoon player with Dykstra when the Mets one it all. He was a nice complimentary piece to a team that was had a number of big name players in the lineup. Not so sure that Michael Bourn makes that much of a difference over the platoon the Mets will have. And please read my post and realize that I said nothing about the draft pick as I am well aware of what a cr ap shoot they are. I simply did not think Bourn is worth the contract and don't think he would have helped all that much. He doesn't hold a candle to Jose Reyes as a leadoff hitter and where did that get us?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • giantsmets
Really, thats all you took from that? Brilliant....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • nutz4pugs

You are'nt suggesting the Mets win the WS this year if they signed Bourne, because they won a WS with Mookie on it?

That seems to be what you're suggesting.

Do the Mets win the WS in 1986 if Mookie isn't on it? I'll answer that question with a question: Do the Red Sox LOSE the 1986 WS if Bill Buckner isn't on it?

These ifs can go on, ad infinitum.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • nutz4pugs

--> "As a guy that likes to drive in runners, I would love Bourn to be on the bases when I'm hitting just because how he CHANGES the game," Davis said before being honored at the Thurman Munson Awards in New York City. "We're going to see more fastballs if he's on the team, he's definitely going to help out the second hole hitter, David (Wright), me, in every aspect of the game. Yeah, it would be great. He's also an amazingly good defender out in center field."

~~ Ike Davis

===================================

I saw the interview, doesn't change a thing. Ike Davis has an opinion, you have one, I have one. Doesn't change a thing.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • edmet
from what i understand from this mornings papers, the mets made a good faith competitive offer. i wanted him, i thought 3 to 5 yrs with an aav of $13m for 3 to 5 yrs and an opt out after yr 1 or 2 BUT sandy came close enuf and i didn't want sandy in any bidding war. i think sandy played it right.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • edmet
they will go with platoons in rf and cf. likely be sellers at deadline looking for more prospects. santana, marcum, and the vet bp guys the likely bait. draft pick #11 better be a solid pick AND they better sign him. what a hoot if they draft a boras guy and he demands more than slot!
  • Reply to this Message