• Mets will now boast Worst Outfield in MLB
  • To:All
  • 2/11/13
  • citidreams
duda, kirk and baxter.. oh my..thats sad
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • drjoe807
Agree...We should not spend Major league prices for Minor league talent...I really can't stomach Freddy and his daughter Jeff....they belong in a jail cell next to Madoff for ripping off met fans all these years...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • Robert
Now that they didn't sign Bourn they better spend like drunken sailors next offseason.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • New_York_Mets_Fan
Yeah, the Mets outfield is definitely a weak point and could be the worst in baseball. I'm not sure if there is still a trade to be made to help but I hope Sandy is trying to do something before the start of the season. There has to be something a team so lacking in OF talent can do trade wise that hasn't been talked about so Sandy has work to do, hopefully they don't really think going into the season with that out field is acceptable.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • Deadtrek

not happening.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • KLake409
I can live with Duda in LF if he hits maybe 20HR+ to 30HR+,
and Nieuwenhuis (at least defensively he's excellent in CF and I think if he shortens his swing he could be a pretty good hitter) , but they really should get a Power Hitting RF if one is available.

Edited 2/11/13   by  KLake409
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • golfbone

Worst outfield in baseball for sure. There will be injuries I'm sure so you won't even have all of these players available and there is really nothing at the minor league level to step in.

We're going to have to trade some pitching talent for some outfield talent.

Either that or hope that Flores or Valdespin or SOMEBODY can be put out there and learn to catch the dam ball and hit a lick. Duda is a slug, Cap't Kirk will start to slog after 60 games, Baxter is a gamer but not an every day player, Cowbell?

Oy.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • MetsMan

The Ponz: Hogwash, we have the best outfilder in the history of the sport plus we have a rotunda for him also!!!!
Can't help it if those types let a little thing like not being able alive hold them back for an excuse for them not wanting to play! (shrugs shoulders) Too bad, got him for a bargain!

Disgusted Assistant: (Whispers) Do you realize what you said can be viewed as very racist and insensitive! Plus Mr Robinson was a 2nd baseman....

The Ponz: You don't say, I would have surely taken the boy for an athletic type, outfielder..

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • bucknerismyhero
It will be alright. This is all part of the plan to tank this season so we have our first round pick actually protected in the year when Santana's contract expires.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • 86kid

You are just going to have to grit you teeth another year I guess.

I hope that Duda will surprise this year - though I am not counting on it.

I am also figuring that we can get a top major league ready/ major league close OF prospect for Johan come July. Should able to score something got Marcum too

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • MetsMan
Thats not such a bad play, if that is actually the plan..... But don't epect them to tank the season with my buck! Don't want the Ponz to associate losing with making money too much.... You know how his mind thinks...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • gilforhof
Go for Stanton. Probably not going to happen, but what the hey. Outside of dealing our top prospects (Wheeler, TDA, etc), there are some the Marlins may want. Flores, Valdespin, Den Dekker OR Kirk, etc. Its not probable, but not impossibe. Also gives Marlins ownership the lowest payroll on Earth.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • golfbone

Look...I wouldn't have signed Bourn either for 60 million/5 years.

I agree with what Alderson is doing but he's doing it because of the things Minaya did that I didn't agree with.

We have a bad team because Minaya had a win now or die trying strategy that failed to produce short term and left us with the "no future" that is now the current situation.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 2/11/13
  • eastvisitr
Houston MIGHT have a worse outfield but we're next. It's definitely us or Houston.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • JoseJose
Funny stuff.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • JoseJose
Alderson has been here for how long?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • metsicle

hate to break it to you, but Duda, Bourne, Baxter is still probably the worst OF in baseball.

I don't agree with the Mets not matching the 4/48 (I wouldn't go much beyond that though) Yes, it is an overpayment for him, but there is NO ONE in the Mets system that will make an impact in CF over the next 4 years.

I kind of think that even if they had to give up the draft pick, they should have done it, because they're going to have to give up assets at some point for a CFer. To me a pick & $ is a lot easier to lose (even for a rebuilding team) than a couple of prospects who are already partially developed & thus more projectable.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • 86kid

Depending on how well Johan pitches the 1st half, and how much salary the Mets eat, they should be ae to land a top flight type major league ready OF prospect.

Plus if Marcum and Lyon also have good halves, they too can be chips in July to get us another outfeilder .

But there is no way you give up the #11 pick in the draft, just for the privilege of being able to over pay in dollars & years to an average talent like Bourn.

If we were a team that was one piece away from a WS, and we had a deep system, then that might be different, but we're not that team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • knightdepaix
Is F-Mart still welcomed in NY ?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • eastvisitr
Santana and Marcum are huge keys to the potential future of this team. Hopefully they log enough innings and pitch well so we can turn a good profit on them.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Matt Bowman - Binghamton
Latest by comeagain - 8:09 PM
Cubs
Latest by johnyringo - 8:08 PM
Music Thread II
Latest by vbch - 8:01 PM
Will Myers struggling
Latest by AdrianMonk - 8:01 PM
Random Letters Game
Latest by ellenbronx - 8:00 PM