• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• OT: Anybody listen to Boomer and Cartoon?
  • To:All
  • 2/8/13
  • mobeen

Granted I only have a 15 minute commute to work so I don't stay for extended period, but they talk less and less sports and more and more BS. It's almost like listening to Elvis Doran with 5% the entertainment value. I used to like them a lot, as they talked sports, but I can't stand them anymore.

Maybe 15 minutes is less to judge them on. I'd rather listen to Mike and Mike or find something on XM.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • edmet
yea i usd to like them too. carton is a shock jock dope, boomer is the straight man, more or less.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • mobeen
boomer has lost the edge too... it might just be whatever get's them the ratings. But I will be shocked if the ratings have gone up or even stayed in the same.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • Bowser
I gave that show a shot for a couple of week see if I'd like it, but like you said, it became quite apparent that they only talk about sports 5% of the time, and the 95% is BS, non sports related BS.. I avoid the WFAN while they are on, I simply could not stand their show.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • metsfan541
I like listening to them but Carton has made it a point to totally boycott the Mets. On numerous occassions, he has specifically mentioned all the NY teams, Yankees, Jets, Giants Knicks, Nets, Islanders, Rangers and even the Devils but leaves out the Mets. He does it on purpose to show the Mets that he isn't happy with how irrelevant they have become.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • mobeen
do you feel like the quality level, especially sports related has gone down dramatically in their show? again I am judging on a 15 minute commute...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • metsfan541

The show has gone down a little. Yes, I would prefer more sports especially baseball talk. They really don't do any hot stove talk and I think they would greatly enhance their show. I could do with a little less humor and more intense sports.

Boomer needs to keep remembering that nobody cares about hockey.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • johnyringo
The less I hear about Cartons personal life the better the show will be for me
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • jt28da

I have tried to give them a shot a few times now, but Carton just turns me off to no end. Listening in the car all you hear is his 'right... right... right' schtick, watching him on tv, you start to wonder if he has ADHD or turrets. He's very strange, like a little kid always looking to see who's laughing or paying attention to him. I've tried to give it a shot because I like the NY talk, but half the time when Boomer is trying to talk, Carton talks over him, and Boomer doesn't finish his point, or winds up saying I'll finish after the break... what??

I used to really like Mike and Mike, but I've totally lost it for all things espn. I'll watch the sports on their channel, obviously, but I no longer watch or listen to any of their talk programs with the exception of a PTI here or there.

To me, the best sports talk on the air is the Dan Patrick Show. He gets great guests, and he asks good questions. He doesn't do softball questions, and he's entertaining without being a jerk. He's national news, not just one area, so I will probably still go to the fan now and then, whether it be mornings or Mike, but I can only stomach them for so long...

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • _BigNick
I tried listening a couple times post the whole "I'll quit my job if the Giants win the Superbowl" thing, but those couple of times I tuned in the topic of choice seemed to be Carton's hemorrhoids, which don't seem very sports-related.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • Remember86
I quit listening to show a year or two ago because of Greg Carton. He's just another loudmouth idiot who's yammering is just shtick. Who knows what his true opinions really are. If Boomer had a different sidekick, I'd give it another try. FAN probably thinks Boomer is too low key to invite alot of listeners. Maybe so. But does Carton have to be his co-host?

Edited 2/8/13   by  Remember86
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • _BigNick
Does anyone think Boomer's whole good-guy, sensible thing is just as much of a schtick as whatever Carton's doing? His job is obviously to simmer done whatever the other guy does, good cop bad cop, can't have two guys operate the same.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • JoseJose
Sounds like we have found something we all agree on. Carton is awful. I wonder who he knows that allowed him to get and keep this job. Often he tries to be funny and it comes across as bad middle school comedy, yet all the guys on the air laugh like some Orwellian laugh track, making it much worse. Very tough to listen to and yes it has been worse lately. Example: when Carton imitates Lopez from the Nets with that goofy laugh - it was never funny, yet they repeat it ad nauseum. He has no talent at all. Reminds me of a frat boy who is constantly trying to impress his frat brothers - really annoying.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • RobfromLI

I've listened daily since the show began and I'll listen daily till it ends. They do a decent job with football and basketball. Boomer tries to get hockey in which is fine by me even though I'm not a big hockey guy. They do OK with baseball but because the Mets are so bad they make it a point to bash the Mets or ignore them as much as possible.

Carton has gotten a bit more out of control as the years go on. To the point that I can't really keep it on if the kids are around and the wife simply can't stand him. He's a alot like that annoying drunk guy who might have told a sort of funny joke but just beats that joke to death over and over and over.

We all know the guy ... you know, the guy who can do the Marv Albert "Yes" pretty well at poker night but keeps doing it, for any reason ... over and over and over. And eventually you have no choice to be like "really? Seriously? What the heck? "

It just gets annoying because I don't want a guy yelling "She's a who-ore!" or "I'm gonna get you pregnant!" on the radio during breakfast with my daughters.

And seriously ... the Jim Rome thing? Carton needs to give it a rest.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • robrock30

Like you I listen daily just like I listened to Imus beforehand. For me they are good to get the day started.

No one on daily is better with NFL than Boomer. I am not into hockey which Boomer is. Dan Patrick is very good & I listen to him also. He has goofy bits too like Carton. Carton does a very funny Mad Dog impression. Bernie from Imus did a very funny New Orleans mayor impression & the mayor has been in the news recently.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • RobfromLI
Carton's Maddog bit has to be one of the funniest things I've ever heard on radio that didn't involve Howard Stern.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • robrock30
I haven't heard it lately & I understand that Mad Dog doesn't appreciate it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • robrock30
Did you catch Bernie on Imus doing Mayor Ray Nagin after Katrina?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • robrock30
I catch Mad Dog on Sirius radio from time to time. I like to listen to him when the SF Giants are in the postseason.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • DFAB

"Boomer needs to keep remembering that nobody cares about hockey."

This is what annoys me and this is why I don't like Craig. Just LET Boomer talk about hockey. There are A LOT of hockey fans. You don't have to like it. If you want to watch a joke sport, watch basketball.

• Reply to this Message