• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Show some love to Buck
  • To:All
  • 2/7/13
  • BigTon
Gonna like the 15-20 HR's he's going to hit this year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • 86kid

Well, hopefully we get the John Buck from 2010, otherwise you might get 15-20HR, but not much else. He's had a really poor BA/OBP/OPS/SLG. Not sure if Citifield will drop the HR total to more like 10 or not. If the defense and game calling stay good, then the extra offense will be icing.

Scouting
--------
"Strengths

Buck is a solid, improved defensive presence behind the plate. In 2012, Buck threw out 27 percent of prospective base stealers. That was a part of Buck's game that had declined from the mid-30 percent range since his first three seasons in Kansas City, but it's encouraging that the statistic is on the uptick again.

Buck also brings power to the plate, and made the All-Star team in 2010 when he hit .281 with 20 home runs, 66 RBI and 25 doubles.

Clearly a powerful hitter when he makes contact, Buck could bring another big bat to the lineup for the Mets. Instant offense is something they could definitely use, as New York ranked 25th in the MLB this past year in scoring just 605 runs—less than four per ballgame.

His eye at the plate is improving. After the aforementioned 2010 campaign where he only took 15 walks all year, he has been more selective.

Weaknesses

Hi-res-153327203_crop_exact Marc Serota/Getty Images

The problem with Buck's hitting for power is that his extremely aggressive style lends itself to a lot of strikeouts. It has also caused his production to slip significantly in the past two years, with the low point being a .192 batting average this past season.

Although he has gotten more patient with pitches, Buck doesn't get on base enough to get out of the seventh or eighth slot in the lineup.

It also remains to be seen if the spike in Buck's ability to throwing out baserunners will continue. Both Thole and Recker have had flashes of brilliance in that category.

Overall Outlook

Adding a veteran presence like Buck to the roster should help. He could serve as a valuable mentor to his younger catching teammates, including prized arrival Travis D'Arnaud from Toronto.

Having endured such an up-and-down career, Buck will be able to handle New York well and also impart plenty of wisdom.

At the same time, if he can even approach the heights he reached as an All-Star in 2010 while continuing to improve his defense, he could be a massive upgrade at the position for the Mets. GM Sandy Alderson is definitely making a cost-effective move on a pitcher with very little time left in his career and a catcher he must think has several good years left.

It's a total wild card as to what role Buck will play for the Mets in 2013, especially because of how the Miami Marlins team he most recently played for imploded under Ozzie Guillen. That could have impacted Buck's sharp decline.

But his experience and prior showcasing of power-hitting makes Buck an intriguing commodity despite the disappointment New York fans are sure to feel in losing Dickey.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • MetObserver
Our total catching corp last year had 5 home runs so even 10 would be doubling our production at that position.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • marvelousmarvin
The fair haired Rod Barajas, fortunately younger by a few years.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • thagreat1
Will he get enough plate appearances? He's definitely not splitting time 50-50 with TDA
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548166.6 was deleted
  • 2/7/13
  • 86kid
True, but regardless let's hope he's not the starter long, because if he is, that would mean that TDA is struggling in AAA. I doubt that happen though. We should see TDA and Wheeler by mid season I'd think.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • edmet
how much playing time will buck get? i see tda catching 100 games, that leaves 62 for buck. can he play 1b at all, to spell ike?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • vbch

"Show some love to Buck "

Buck Showalter would have been a good hire for the Mets three years ago.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • JoseJose
OK - hey Buck: xxoo
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • danthemetfan
100 games is a lot, especially for a rookie catcher who will miss the first 20-30 becuase he will be called up in May or June.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • bbjmparis

I don't know who wrote the report, but there is a glaring inaccuracy. We scored 650 runs last year, not 605, and you shouldn't mix NL teams with AL teams that use the DH. Any NL team looks bad when you do that.

Buck is better than Thole. How much better remains to be seen.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • FridaGates

"The fair haired Rod Barajas, fortunately younger by a few years."

i liked rod when he played for the dodgers! at least he didn't spend all his time partying in the clubs and admitted to quitting on his team like that loser russell martin did.

buck is just a stop-gap player at this point. he'll do okay, and TDA (who grew up a dodgers fan and whose favorite player was mike piazza) will take over soon enough, and the mets will be set at the position for the next seven to ten years.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • sheadro
At first I was indifferent about him coming over in the trade, but now that I'm reading quotes from tradition field from him and get a sense of the leadership he brings, I'm very happy he's here. Beyond being a productive stop gap for TDA I think that kind of leadership important for this club. Eventually the starting role will go to Travis, but with a rookie catcher coming up and a young pitching staff for the most part (or soon to be) you need a guy like that, and he seems willing and capable of that role.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/10/13
  • marvelousmarvin

I like that Buck is a seasoned catcher who calls a good game. That will be very helpful with the young arms we have.

I came across this factoid on Wikipedia on John Buck. He was listed as the 21st best prospect in baseball by John Sickels.[6] Sounds ominously like TDA. So, while we hope for the best with TDA, one never knows. In the meantime, until he's ready, it looks like we have a solid placeholder.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/10/13
  • thagreat1
? Isn't TDA a top 10 prospect
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548166.17 was deleted
  • 2/10/13
  • thagreat1
Exactly. I don't see the similarities in John Buck the prospect and TDA the prospect
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/10/13
  • capicu76
Hard to get excited over his .192 BA. D'Arnaud should be the Opening Day backstop. Who cares about the service time? If he is a player worth extending, hopefully the front office will do so before he becomes arbitration eligible.

Edited 2/10/13   by  capicu76
Edited 2/10/13   by  capicu76
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548166.20 was deleted