• Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • KB24NYM
ty, haven't seen any of the beat writers mention him
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • 4545_ajd

Jay Horwitz ?@Jay_HorwitzPR
Ruben Tejada talks with media at Citi Field today. Says he will bat anywhere in Terry Collins' lineup. http://pic.twitter.com/gOxM8SDZ

8h Eric Simon ?@AmazinAvenue
Mets Morning News: Port St. Lucie Dreaming http://sbn.to/Ya8sJ2

5 Feb Jorge Castillo ?@jorgeccastillo
Reporting to camp on time isn't early enough for Terry Collins. So Ruben Tejada is reporting 8 days early: http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2013/02/mets_14.html #mets

5 Feb SportsNet New York ?@SNYtv
#SNYSportsNite @KBurkhardtSNY talks with Ruben Tejada about his game and 2013 http://on.sny.tv/VGz9dp #snymets

Edited 2/6/13   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • 86kid

Yeah, I heard he was going to make it a point to come early this year. Nice to see the kid working hard with his off-season training this year, and learning his lesson from last year by coming early this time. Getting a shot to be a starter in the majors doesn't come around for many for guys, and so you'd be crazy not to do all you can to make a good showing of the opportunity you do get.

I have a good feeling that Ruben could be a very solid-good hitter if he really applies himself. Just try not to do too much. Stay within himself and hit the ball to all fields. And also improve his eye at the plate. He doesn't have to hit .300 to be big value to us. Just play above average defense, and hit around .280+ with .350ish OBP, steal more bases, and I'll be more than happy.

Edited 2/6/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • KB24NYM
I only follow Horwitz out of those people.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • Gepett0

he also spent a few weeks working w/ reyes so hes entering camp in great shape

apparently one of the biggest things he worked on w/ jose was base stealing...

• Reply to this Message
Message 548147.8 was deleted
  • 2/9/13
  • KB24NYM
Looks like you were wrong, Horwitz tweeted that he arrived today.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • 4545_ajd
I guess he arrived the other day and officially reported today.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548147.11 was deleted
  • 2/9/13
  • KB24NYM
I'm sure he'll swipe a could more but not too many...he's just not very fast, unfortunately.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • danthemetfan
If you learn how to read pitchers, base stealing becomes more about technique and know how than pure speed. Many of these guys are really fast. Reyes has always relied more on just speed than technique. JR faltered a little when Rickey tried to give him proper tutelage. Also, that first step (which reyes does do a great job off) is as important as over all speed.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548147.14 was deleted
  • 2/9/13
  • ewok54
Until a late season slump, probably wore down, he was hitting something like .318 with a .360 OBP. For a 22 year old rookie, with more range than Reyes, he has the potential to be pretty special. Adding a few more stolen bases and he starts profiling as a first rate leadoff or #2 hitter. Also, showed a skill for hitting n big spots. I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to develop, if fans forget "What his Name"?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • thebobymon
Maybe we can move second base in a little bit for him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • 86kid
I hope so.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/10/13
  • Gepett0

hes swiped around 20 before in the minors (18 & 19 if im not mistaken)

granted, its easier in the minors but clearly he's not exactly SLOW....if he learns how and when to steal, he can probably snag around 10-15 a year, which is totally acceptable

• Reply to this Message