• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Can teams do sign and trades in MLB?
  • To:All
  • 2/6/13
  • metsheart
Was reading comments on a blog & came across that question.

Anybody know whether say Astros can sign Bourn & then immediately trade him to Mets for cash (assuming Bourn would agree to trade)?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • 4545_ajd

"Anybody know whether say Astros can sign Bourn & then immediately trade him to Mets for cash (assuming Bourn would agree to trade)?"

I think technically there is no rule against it as long as Bourn is OK with it and gives them permission to trade him, but then again all trades have to be reviewed by the commissioners office so that could be hold up.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • metsheart
Would be interesting way to go about this though wouldn't it? Come to an agreement with 1 of the protected teams & get Bourn for cash. Plus MAYBE 1 prospect (not Wheeler, Syndegaard or any other top rated prospect).

On what grounds could MLB object?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • gilforhof
The Astros would then have to agree with the Mets on a signing price (3/36 ex). The Mets would either wind up losing a prospect or ML player in the process, in addition to possible cash considerations. I think its a lose/lose proposition. Creative yes.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • themeeker
This came up with Dickey and whether or not the Mets would try to sign up cheap and then trade him. Articles at the time said it was technically allowed but considered somewhat taboo and would have a serious impact on future FA signings.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • metsheart
"The Mets would either wind up losing a prospect or ML player in the process"

Why? Couldn't Mets just agree on a signing deal for Bourn & cash price w/ Astros?

Example:

Astros sign Bourn for 3 yrs/ $36M w/ 4th yr club option (after discussing w/ Mets). Then Astros trade Bourn to Mets for say $3-4M (by agreement w/ Mets). Mets essentially wind up paying $3-4M "signing bonus" for Bourn & pay say $12M salary for 3 yrs. Averages out to about $13M/ yr ($40M/ 3 yrs).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • metsheart
"This came up with Dickey and whether or not the Mets would try to sign up cheap and then trade him. Articles at the time said it was technically allowed but considered somewhat taboo and would have a serious impact on future FA signings."

But Dickey wasn't a FA yet. Wouldn't have been til after the 2013 season. Not the same thing from where I sit.

And what makes it "taboo"? What impact would it have on future FA signings?

Edited 2/6/13   by  metsheart
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • 4545_ajd
If we were going to do this the Cleveland Indians would be the team to do this with.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • metsheart
Why so?

(Would think Astros would welcome the $$$.)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • MetObserver
Any deal for cash only is highly scrutinized by MLB. They don't like players being exchanged for cash only.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • 4545_ajd
Astros would be losing the first pick in the Second round if they sign Bourn approximately 39th overall, the Indians would only be losing the 6th pick in the Third round approximately 79th overall, if they sign Bourn.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • 4545_ajd

"Any deal for cash only is highly scrutinized by MLB. They don't like players being exchanged for cash only."

It could be a trade for a prospect instead.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • metsheart
I'm sure there's ample precedent for trading a player for cash.

What grounds would MLB have to void that trade?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • metsheart
Well that makes perfect sense for Indians to do it then.

Pardon my ignorance here -- How come Indians only have to give up 3rd rd pick but Astros have to give up 2nd rd pick?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • gilforhof
Thats feasible. If the Astros would agree to the "signing" money. I was commenting on the prospect because of his original post of possibly trading a player. And as you said, its the Mets basically paying an additional mil a year for Bourn. Personally, I don't think he's worth that, but with the ridiculous signing of Pagan at 4/40, it is what it is.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • MetObserver
Obviously they have already given up their first and second round picks due to signing free agents.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • 4545_ajd

"Pardon my ignorance here -- How come Indians only have to give up 3rd rd pick but Astros have to give up 2nd rd pick?"

Both have their first round picks protected, Indians already gave up their 2nd round pick to sign Swisher.

So Mets trade them a prospect they would value equivalent to a 2nd round pick, They would only lose their third round pick so that is an upgrade for them, and the Mets would lose that player worth a second round pick but keep their first round pick so they also win.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • metsheart
I suggested cash + MAYBE a prospect (AA? NOT Wheeler, Syndergaard or any other really highly rated prospect).

I think Bourn's probably worth $13M/ yr for 3 yrs. He'll only be 33 at the back end of the contract. And if he can produce career norm numbers that would be a HUGE step up for Mets OF & leadoff man.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • metsheart
"Obviously they have already given up their first and second round picks due to signing free agents"

Got an answer from another poster why Indians would agree to this sign & trade for Bourn.

Edited 2/6/13   by  metsheart
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • MetObserver
But I don't even think that Bourn is worth going to that much trouble in order to get him.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Musician Name Game
Latest by jereviens - 7:20 AM
JSAngel: Trout a Fraud
Latest by jsmet - 7:17 AM
Music Thread II
Latest by jereviens - 7:15 AM
Baseball Name Game
Latest by jereviens - 7:11 AM
Wilmer Flores with 7 RBI already
Latest by jsmet - 7:11 AM