New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Giants To Sign Ramon Ramirez
  • 3/22/13
  • 4545_ajd

Ramon Ramirez released by the Giants.

"Andrew Baggarly ?@CSNBaggs 1m
#SFGiants announce Wilson Valdez and Ramon Ramirez have been given their release."

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/13
  • loyalfan28
posted an 11.25 era over this spring. Bullpen pitchers are crazy with how inconsistent they can be. I would think maybe steroids were involved in this case.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/13
  • Bowser
It would be hilarious if we signed him now
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/13
  • robrock30

I would like a do-over with that trade as it was one of the worst in Met history.

It is unique in that the Giants within a year had control of all 3 players in the deal.

We were hosed pretty good with that deal.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/13
  • hamp
The only thing I can say is that Pagan must have irritated some higher ups more than we know.I think any Met fan when hearing that trade was thinking.....why?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/13
  • bbyjean616

Hypothetically speaking... if Ramon Ramirez had performed for the Mets to his career average (and presumably been re-signed), would you still say it was a bad trade?

Yes because he created a hole everyday in CF for a seventh inning pitcher. The deal never made sense and failed miserable. Sandy got two players for one and he got what he paid for

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/13
  • robrock30

It was a major planning mistake.

Had the Mets kept Pagan who was their leadoff & CF, cut Pelfrey who was flawed and not vital with the young pitchers in the system, and pursued Cespedes who was stolen by the A's, the Mets would be looking really solid now.

Had the Mets traded Reyes for ML ready prospects, the Mets would be competing for a wild card this year.

It is just further proof that Sandy & the Wilpons' focus is on the payroll cost and not on building a winning ball club.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/13
  • fredhoss

I understood the trade at the time as Ramirez was the player the Mets wanted the Giants wanted to get rid of Torres and the Mets wanted to get rid of Pagan. I was not impressed with Pagan in 2011 and had no problem getting rid of him. In hindsight it didn't work as planned.

There was no way the Mets were getting two major league ready prospects back for Reyes especially with his injuries in 2011.

Pelfrey with all his flaws wouldn't have been a Met this year and was signed relatively cheap. He was pitching well until he got injured but prior to that he was good for 200 innings.

The bottom line is that hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy for us to second guess moves after they don't work out.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/13
  • bbyjean616

I understood the trade at the time as Ramirez was the player the Mets wanted the Giants wanted to get rid of Torres and the Mets wanted to get rid of Pagan. I was not impressed with Pagan in 2011 and had no problem getting rid of him. In hindsight it didn't work as planned."

Pagan was four years younger than Torres and better. He had way more of an upside. He literally downgraded Center Field in that trade to get a seventh inning pitcher. Down graded an every day position and lead off spot for a seventh inning ptcher

"There was no way the Mets were getting two major league ready prospects back for Reyes especially with his injuries in 2011."

I highly disagree. We got a top pitching prospect for a guy in his mid 30's with busted knees. You dont know what we would have got for Reyes because Sandy never tried. You cant say WE NEVER, because Sandy said Never. We kept reyes to sell tickets. Who knows what we COULD have gotten? Sandy publicy stated he didnt shop him so NO, I do not agree with you at all. He also gave SIX million to a head case. These are not good moves. they were failures

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/13
  • fredhoss

We can disagree all day long, I didn't like Pagan and it was time for him to go.

If they didn't sign Pelfrey I wouldn't have cared but they would have paid someone $6 million so I understood it.

Reyes wasn't going anywhere.

The bottom line is this is hindsight and very easy to second guess.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/13
  • bbyjean616

We can disagree all day long, I didn't like Pagan and it was time for him to go."

Because YOU didnt like Pagan it was time for him to go? Time for what? A worse center fielder? You dont downgrade an everyday position for the bullpen. It made no sense and it failed miserably.

"If they didn't sign Pelfrey I wouldn't have cared but they would have paid someone $6 million so I understood it."

Pelfrey was not worth six million. His career ERA is close to 5 and he's a mess. That money was poorly spent

"Reyes wasn't going anywhere."

You have nothing to base that on. NOTHING. Sandy didnt try. When you dont try, you dont know

"The bottom line is this is hindsight and very easy to second guess." Its so easy to second guess but the one thing your sure of is the one thing you have nothing to back it with. Reyes wasnt going anywhere because you said so. Sorry but Sandy made some <piss poor moves and its explained time and again as to why.

• Reply to this Message