• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• No Bourn!!!! Save the money for ellsbury!!
  • To:All
  • 2/4/13
  • 86mex17
Way better than Bourn. We're losing 90 games with or without Bourn this season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • nvmets10
Ellsbury is a gigantic question mark right now. To me, he's absolutely not worth saving the money for. There's also the fact that we're more than likely going to have to acquire more than one outfielder. What is your confidence level that this team spends big money on TWO of them in ONE offseason? There aren't enough quality options available next year to endorse passing on Bourn if you can get him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 86mex17
I disagree about the question mark ellsbury is leaps and bounds above Bourn IMO , there's no reason why a major sports franchise in NYC couldn't afford to on a normal basis , but we all know we don't have normal owners
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • djiboutirox
we can afford both
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • thebobymon
Only 90?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 86mex17
Dude these owners can't afford a pack of gum, so sad
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 86mex17
Ha, I was trying to be positive
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • djiboutirox
our payroll drops by 40 million next year
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • nym698641
No way will the Mets get in on Ellsbury. Scott Boras is the agent and he will be looking for the kind of contract the Mets will never go for.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 86mex17
I hear you but in your heart do you think they will spend it? When the lose another 50 mil this season the budget will just get lowered. Sad ownership
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 86mex17
Bourn is has boras too.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 86mex17
I bet
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • nvmets10

The thing is Ellsbury has missed over 230 games since 2010. He was also pretty bad when he did play last season. And he's turning 30 himself this year. This is all scary to me. Bourn, at least, has been healthy and consistent.

And right, the front office is still such a question mark right now, it's extremely difficult to be confident they'll spend big money on multiple players in an offseason. It's been quite a while since that happened.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • MetObserver
Free agency is not the only way to obtain an outfielder. Trades can be made especially if the farm continues to improve. The more quality pitchers that step up the better our chances of making a good trade for a younger outfield than what is available through FA.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • nym698641
And why he isn't signed yet by anyone including the Mets.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 86mex17
I hear you, but with that said I still like Ellsbury more . He can be a impact player, power speed defense, Id rather pay Ellsbury than bourn, IMO
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 86mex17
I hear you, other teams do not see him as that top cf'er/impact guy. Also he's not worth the money.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • nvmets10
Yea, definitely possible, but look what happened this past offseason. It's expensive. Everyone asked for Harvey and Wheeler and we got nothing as a result. There isn't a whole lot of depth at the upper level here. So you then have to bank on the lower level players continuing to rise and becoming highly regarded prospects themselves. Hopefully it happens but there's no guarantee.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • nym698641
We might be saying the same thing next year about Ellsbury.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • nvmets10
I absolutely agree that Ellsbury's ceiling is higher. Just not sure I'm comfortable handing out a gigantic contract based on that potential.
  • Reply to this Message