• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Full year of Harvey
  • To:All
  • 1/28/13
  • bbjmparis
There seems to be this idea that a full year of Harvey is going to make a big difference for the Mets. It probably won't. First of all, if Harvey follows the general path that most young pitchers do, he'll take some lumps the first half of the year. It's always harder the second time around the league once people have seen you, and adjust to what you're doing. If he can adjust back, he'll do well the second half and maybe well have something. However, it should be pointed out that Harvey was very effective in his 10 starts in 2012, He was good. In fact, it's quite possible he will never be that good again. Even if he is, I point out that he was 3-5, dispite pitching well. 3-5 is pretty bad. That win-loss percentage works out to 60-100 for a team...not good at all. Why the poor w-l record even though he pitched well? The supporting cast wasn't there. Bad hitting, bad defense, and a horrible BP did him in. Nothing much has changed. It's possible he could pitch great and still go 9-15. If he's just average, it could be worse. No one player makes that big a difference. We have way too many holes, and too many minor leaguers and back ups as everyday players. This is a 90 loss team, full year of Harvey or not.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • Gepett0

no one said that harvey will make them a winning team

at the same time, one santana either gets injured or traded, harvey niese & wheeler are a solid core for a pitching staff and the rotation will likely not be a major issue esp w/ gee and marcum filling out the back of the rotation

• Reply to this Message
Message 547902.3 was deleted
  • 1/28/13
  • fargol

"There seems to be this idea that a full year of Harvey is going to make a big difference for the Mets. It probably won't."

LOL I'm going to call you "Mr. Sunshine" from now on, much the same way bald guys are sometimes nicknamed "Curly".

• Reply to this Message
Message 547902.5 was deleted
  • 1/28/13
  • fargol

"But god forbid met fans are excited to see what Harvey cando."

I'm not convinced he's a Met fan.

I can fully understand folks being disappointed, impatient, and maybe even a little angry, but this guy goes out of his way to spread his "cheer".

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/28/13
  • KB24NYM

I'm surprised by the modest expectations for Harvey this season, from what I've seen...seems like most expect him to be at something like a 3.80 ERA with well under 200 IP...

I don't expect him to dominate like he did last season all summer long, but I don't see a sub-3 ERA as a stretch.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • Oldfan

I think Harvey will have some ups and downs, but look forward to watching him pitch.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547902.9 was deleted
  • 1/28/13
  • fargol

"seems like most expect him to be at something like a 3.80 ERA with well under 200 IP..."

I tend to agree with that; maybe a little lower on the ERA (3.5-ish) and a little higher on the innings (180-ish) which would be a tremendous boost to the rotation.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • Oldfan

Yea, they'll probably limit his innings.

If all goes well, I'd expect around 180.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • fargol

"Yea, they'll probably limit his innings.

If all goes well, I'd expect around 180."

I've thought a little more about IP, and since he's never pitched more than 135 innings anywhere, 150 might be closer.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • Oldfan
Last year, he pitched 110 innings in Buffalo and 60 more in NY.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • fargol

"Last year, he pitched 110 innings in Buffalo and 60 more in NY"

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification.

Okay, 180 innings it is!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • thagreat1
Not often the legendary Fargol gets one upped
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • fargol

"Not often the legendary Fargol gets one upped "

Mark this day on your calendar! :)

Wait = legendary?

• Reply to this Message
Message 547902.17 was deleted
  • 1/28/13
  • thagreat1
If not legendary then regal. You're the king of this board and lizz is the Queen. I'm the food tester to make sure no one poisoned your food.

Edited 1/28/13   by  thagreat1
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • bbjmparis

Sorry to rain on the parade, but as Jack Webb used to say on Dragnet..."Just the facts ma'am." Real Met fans care that the team stinks and is getting worse. You don't have to stick your head in the sand and whistle a happy tune while pretending everythings fine to be a fan. Everything isn't fine, and it's getting worse. Sandy and the FO lie, and the Wilpons have made lying an art form.
So, if you're a fan you have everyright to be unhappy.

I could say that TdA is going to come up in May, hit 20 HR's while hitting .290. That Murphy's fielding is acceptable and he's going to hit .320. That Tejada is a good SS and who misses Reyes? That Duda is going to hit 40 HR's. That Baxter, Kirk N, aren't as bad as they look, and that Cowgill is a hidden gem. That Harvey will win 18 games, and Santana will not only not breakdown, but will be the pitcher he was two years ago. That Mejia and Familia aren't as bad as they look, and that the BP is fixed. Finally, that Wheeler will come up in July and be Tom Seaver. I could do that, but that's SAZ's job, and it's a load of BS.

It doesn't matter. Whatever I say, or don't say. Whatever you say, or don't say. Won't add one win or loss to the record. If what I say makes people think, then good. Mindless everything is great posts are all over the place. Why do you need more?

I would never say anyone here isn't a fan, but if you think this is a good Mets team, or has a reasonable chance to be a good Mets team...you're a fan, but not a thoughtful one.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547902.20 was deleted
Recent Discussions
This just keeps getting better. lol
Latest by METCITILES - 12:00 PM
satisfied Mets fan
Latest by roywriter - 11:58 AM
Are we ahead of the curve?
Latest by metrebel - 11:58 AM
EYoung: One Incredible trend and one projection
Latest by stearnsy12 - 11:57 AM
fernando rodney
Latest by murphstates - 11:55 AM
Hitting better? Why?
Latest by sb51 - 11:55 AM
Favorite Easter Basket Candy
Latest by AdrianMonk - 11:54 AM
This Day In Sports History
Latest by hlandrith - 11:48 AM
We have a big-time Closer problem going forward (IMO)...
Latest by roywriter - 11:40 AM
Factoids Redux
Latest by thagreat1 - 11:33 AM