• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mets BullPen Depth Chart
  • To:All
  • 1/28/13
  • 4545_ajd

Tell me if you agree with the players and or placement.

Closer
Francisco*
Parnell

Set-Up Man
Parnell*
Mejia
Edgin
E. Ramirez

LOOGY
Edgin*
Feliciano*
Carson
Laffey
Byrdak

Middle Reliever
Mejia*
E. Ramirez *
Edgin
Laffey

Long Relief / Spot Start
Laffey*
Familia
Mejia
Heffner
Mchough

*My prediction for opening day.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • bbjmparis
Except for Feliciano, I think you might be right. That's a pretty bad pen. We have to hope Francisco bounces back. Maybe he did pitch hurt. It's not like he's never pitched well in the past. Relievers often have good years following horrible ones. So maybe he will too. If he's not a lot better than last year, the pen is putrid.

Edited 1/28/13   by  bbjmparis
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • Gepett0

outside of the closer, i actually dont really think its bad at all

most of those guys are young and unproven but they do have a lot of talent in there....really francisco is the only thing holding this back from being halfway decent as far as bullpens go

very few teams have GOOD pens

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • rnixon
I think Familia in the pen and Meijia in the minors to be a starter. I think those are their long term roles so they wil work toward that. Injuries/trades at the deadline might mean the need to keep Meija ready.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • 4545_ajd

"If he's not a lot better than last year, the pen is putrid.'

Putrid really? I do not see that, the Mets have a lot of young hard throwing arms available to them in the BP this year including Mejia, Familia, Edgin, E Ramirez, and Carson. Unproven I will give you bu putrid is premature considering not a single one of those 5 players has even half of a season's worth of major league experience. I think this years pen can be anywhere from a huge negative to a big positive or somewhere in between.

But the one thing this years pen has that last years didn't is depth, none of those 5 players were quite ready last year to start the season this year they all are and they all have options so if they are struggling they can be sent down and someone else will be ready to take their place unlike last year where we had to stick with guys like Acosta and Batista because no one was ready to replace them.

Last year Byrdak was pretty much the Mets only lefty to start the season, this year they have 4 lefties I am fairly confident in to be at least decent and that does not even include Byrdak who is going to available in the 2nd half.

The same with the Long man/ spot starter role, last year it was only Batista this year its Mejia, Familia, Laffey, Heffner, McHugh and even maybe Dillon Gee once they bring Wheeler up.

Edited 1/28/13   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/29/13
  • 4545_ajd

Update to include Atchison

Closer
Francisco*
Parnell

Set-Up Man
Parnell*
Atchison
Mejia
Edgin
E. Ramirez

LOOGY
Edgin*
Feliciano*
Carson
Laffey
Byrdak

Middle Reliever
Atchison*
Mejia*
E. Ramirez
Edgin
Laffey

Long Relief / Spot Start
Laffey*
Familia
Mejia
Heffner
Mchough

*My prediction for opening day.

Edited 1/29/13   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/29/13
  • edmet
about right. we just signed atchinson. i believe mejjia will be a starter at AAA. atchinson has a shot at being a guy that comes in for a batter or two when terry is negotiating lefty-righty matchups. dont want to overwork the guy with his elbow issue.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/29/13
  • Kranesback
Looks about right,...so aside from having no closer or set up guy, the pen is taking shape
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/29/13
  • 4545_ajd
I think Parnell is a solid set up guy, as for closer we shall see. Lets hope Francisco has a good year pitching for a contract like he had a great 2nd half the season before we signed him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/29/13
  • Kranesback
I almost agree with you. I think Parnell could develop into a setup guy or even a closer in the next couple of years, but right now, I would be nervous trusting him in the 8th or 9th inning of a close game. Would be nice if we could have Parnell as sort of an everyday seventh inning guy for this season and let him refine his game.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/29/13
  • DFAB
our bp certainly has a decent chance to be solid this year...we have much more depth than what we had last year. If we can have a solid bp this year, I think we have a shot at competing for that 2nd WC...of course everyone would have to have great seasons as well...
  • Reply to this Message