• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• TOP 30 WESTERNS OF ALL TIME - NOW TOP 60 !
  • To:All
  • 1/27/13
  • 86kid

Okay folks, as suggested be a number of you, I have now expanded the TOP 30 listing I did, to now be a TOP 60..

You all gave a lot of good input on the other thread, and I did the best I could with re-ranking thing with new entries. I even juggled my TOP 10 a bit.

Not all our your suggestions made it into my new rankings, but have mercy, no TOP 100 list is coming today... LOL

1. The Searchers (John Wayne)
2. Fort Apache (John Wayne, Henry Fonda)
3. The Magnificent Seven (Yul Brenner/Steve McQueen)
4. Shane (Allen Ladd/Van Heflin)
5. The Oxbow Incident (Henry Fonda)
6. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Jimmy Stewart/John Wayne)
7. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (Clint Eastwood)
8. Stage Coach (John Wayne)
9. The Gunfighter (Gregory Peck)
10. High Noon (Gary Copper)

11. True Grit (John Wayne)
12. Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid (Robert Redford/Paul Newman)
13. Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood)
14. Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner)
15. The Outlaw Josey Wales (Clint Eastwood)
16. Red River (John Wayne/Montgomery Clift)
17. My Darling Clementine (Henry Fonda/Victor Mature)
18. The Big Country (Gregory Peck/Charlton Heston)
19. Yellow Sky (Gregory Peck/Anne Baxter)
20. Winchester '73 (James Stewart, Shelley Winters, Dan Duryea)

21. How The West Was Won (Jimmy Stewart)
22. Open Range (Robert Duvall/Kevin Costner)
23. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (John Wayne)
24. Jeremiah Johnson (Robert Redford)
25. The Fastest Gun Alive (Glenn Ford)
26. Rio Grande (John Wayne/Maureen O'Hara)
27. The Unforgiven (Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Audie Murphy)
28. A Fist Full of Dollars (Clint Eastwood)
29. Lonesome Dove (Robert Duval/Tommy Lee Jones)
30. 3:10 To Yuma (the orginal) (Glenn Ford/Van Heflin)

31. Gunfight at OK Coral (Kirk Douglas/Burt Lancaster)
32. The Alamo (John Wayne/Richard Widmark)
33. The Cowboys (John Wayne)
34. Angel and The Badman (John Wayne)
35. Tall in The Saddle (John Wayne)
36. Rooster Cogburn ( John Wayne, Katharine Hepburn )
37. Appaloosa (Ed Harris, Viggo Mortensen, Jeremy Irons)
38. 3:10 to Yuma (the remake) ( Russell Crowe, Christian Bale )
39. Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford (Brad Pitt)
40. Once Upon a Time in The West (Henry Fonda, Claudia Cardinale, Jason Robards)

41. Broken Trail (Robert Duvall, Thomas Haden Church)
42. MacKenna's Gold (Gregory Peck, Omar Sharif. Telly Savalas, Edward G. Robinson, Eli Wallach)
43. Firecreek (Jimmy Stewart/Henry Fonda)
44. The Naked Spur (Jimmy Stewart/Robert Ryan)
45. Last Train From Gun Hill (Kirk Douglas/Anthony Quinn)
46. El Dorado ( John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, James Caan)
47. The Violent Men (Glenn Ford, Edward G. Robinson, Barbara Stainwick)
48. Duel in the Sun (Gregory Peck, Joseph Cotten, Jennifer Jones)
49. Pale Rider (Clint Eastwood)
50. Broken Arrow (Jimmy Stewart)

51. Chishum (John Wayne, Forrest Tucker)
52. Tombstone ( Kurt Russel, Val Kilmer, Sam Elliot )
53. High Plains Drifter (Clint Eastwood)
54. The Man Without a Star (Kirk Douglas, Jeanne Crain, Clarre Trevor, Richard Boone)
55. Geronimo - An American Legend (Jason Patric, Gene Hackman, Robert Duvall and Wes Studi)
56. Shenandoah (Jimmy Stewart)
57. The Way West (Kirk Douglas, Robert Mitchum, Richard Widmark)
58. Buck and The Preacher (Sidney Poitier, Harry Belafonte, Ruby Dee)
59. Rio Bravo ( John Wayne / Dean Martin )
60. Sliverado (Kevin Kline, Danny Glover, Scott Glenn) ..I DID NOT SEE THIS ONE BUT ON THE LIST BY POPULAR REQUEST.

Edited 1/27/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • 86kid
So many good westerns are even on this list, but I can't do them all lol
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • gilforhof
Great job 86 ... very proud of you. Howwwwwwwwwwwwever LOL... naw... great job. I would change positions on quite a few of them, but its unnecessary. Just the fact you actually included many that weren't there and expanded it is good enough for me. I could give you alot more for the list, but that can come on the "86kid is doing a top 100 list" day. At least you and I agree on #1.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • 86kid
Yeah, so many good movies, and I'm sure everyone would position things a bit differently on their own listings. Hopefully more great westerns can continue to be made in this day and age.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547896.5 was deleted
  • 1/27/13
  • gilforhof
Hopefully, but if not, you've provided everyone with a list to watch for the first time or to watch for the 10th time over and over again. Its a win win, I think. You can't get tired of watching most of them more than once (my opinion only).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • gilforhof
Unfortunately, today, most movies are special effects and blood and gore to replace good story lines and good acting. Westerns are lost in the shuffle.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • 86kid

>>>"good list westerns are a forgotten genre"<<<

Yeah, for the most part, but there have been a few in recent years that have kept things going.

True Grit (the remake) (Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Josh Brolin and Hailee Steinfeld)
3:10 to Yuma (the remake) ( Russell Crowe, Christian Bale )
Open Range (Robert Duvall/Kevin Costner)
Appaloosa (Ed Harris, Viggo Mortensen, Jeremy Irons)
Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford (Brad Pitt)

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • AdrianMonk

No "Brokeback Mountain"?

Edited 1/27/13   by  AdrianMonk
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • hamp
When was the last great original western even made?....seems like the only recent good ones have been remakes
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • AdrianMonk

"Serenity" (2005)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • archgraham
Thanks for the list Kid. I was never a huge Western guy, but I watched The Searchers this afternoon because it was too darned cold to go out. Good pick.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • gilforhof
"The Missing" was made in 2003 (Tommy Lee Jones), not bad... then the only other thing I can think of recently is "Cowboys vs Aliens" lol. No doubt there are others, not coming to mind just yet though.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • ohhthepain
I don't understand how they don't list bronsons name first for once upon a time in the west. That movie is all about bronson. Not sure I saw any Newman westerns? Can't have a top 60 westerns list without at least 1 Newman western. Hombre is a Newman classic. How about The Appaloosa with Brando. More Clint, 2 mules for sister sara and Joe Kid. 100 Rifles with Reynolds and Jim Brown as well as the smokin hot Raquel Welch. The Shootist in my opinion is John Waynes best movie. McLintock is another classic John Wayne movie. I also did not see any Lee Van Cleef movies where he was the main star..How about death rides a horse which is one of his best..He was in some of the best period. A professional gun aka Il Mercenario is one of my all time favorites. It has a song composed in it by Ennio Morricone called L 'Arena which I think is his finest work ever and the greatest song in any western ever made. It was also used in Kill Bill as Quentin is constantly pulling stuff out of old classic westerns. Great list btw! I don't know if I would consider Jeremiah Johnson a true western. But that is among the best movies that will ever be made.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • hamp
is cowboys vs aliens any good....i saw bits of it on HBO
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • ddiscostu

Edited 1/27/13   by  ddiscostu
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • 86kid

>>>"No "Brokeback Mountain"?"<<<

Yuckkkkkk

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • 86kid

>>>"Thanks for the list Kid. I was never a huge Western guy, but I watched The Searchers this afternoon because it was too darned cold to go out. Good pick."<<<

Good. Glad you liked it. I have seen it several dozen times, and it never loses it's appeal. The camera work and acting and storyline are all excellent.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547896.19 was deleted
  • 1/27/13
  • 86kid

>>>"I don't understand how they don't list bronsons name first for once upon a time in the west. That movie is all about bronson."<<<

I don't know. I think it was a good movie, but not all that crazy about some of the lingering that goes on in it. It one of those movies I only watch on a Saturday when I have plenty of time and patience to get thorough it.

>>>"Not sure I saw any Newman westerns? Can't have a top 60 westerns list without at least 1 Newman western."<<<

I put a Newman movie on the list. In the Top 15. Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. Not sure what else of his solo would qualify. Hud ? Not really western in the classic sense or in the period I was focused on,

>>>"Hombre is a Newman classic."<<<

I like that one a lot too. Although I would not call it a "classic". But I watch it all the time. I actually like Fredrick March's performance in that as much or better than Newman's.

>>>"How about The Appaloosa with Brando."<<<

I didn't see that one. Only the one with Ed Harris. The only movies I put on the list are the one's I've personally seen. The only exception is #60 - Silverado. I did not see that, but I put it on the end of the list because several people felt is a good and needed to be on the list.

>>>"More Clint, 2 mules for sister sara and Joe Kid."<<<

There is plenty of Clint on the list though I think. I liked Two Mules For Sister Sara too, but I thought some of the other things on the bottom part of the list were just as good, if not better. But sure, there were several other Eastwood films that could have made the list to. Unfortunately I can't fit everything... LOL Plus I didn't want the list to all too many of one or two guys, so if all else was even between two movies, I sometimes might give the benefit of the doubt to films other than Wayne, Eastwood, Stewart...etc.

>>>"100 Rifles with Reynolds and Jim Brown as well as the smokin hot Raquel Welch. "<<<

Yes. Very good too. Don't even get my mind thinking about Welch. I won't be able to sleep tonight...lol

>>>"The Shootist in my opinion is John Waynes best movie. McLintock is another classic John Wayne movie.'<<<

Both good Duke movies for sure.

>>>"I also did not see any Lee Van Cleef movies where he was the main star..How about death rides a horse which is one of his best..He was in some of the best period."<<<

I agree.

>>>"Great list btw! I don't know if I would consider Jeremiah Johnson a true western. But that is among the best movies that will ever be mad"<<<

Yeah, it's not the standard gunfighter type western, but I think anything that is from the period that has mountain men, and savage indians, falls into the western relm. lol

• Reply to this Message