• Wow, we can't even sign Hairston
  • Nov-12
  • 4545_ajd
For all those complaining about Byrd.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547795.6 was deleted
  • Nov-12
  • MetObserver
How about all the whiners that laughed at the signing of R.A.Dickey and all the crow they had to eat during his tenure here.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Nov-12
  • joemets22

I never cared about Hairston. If you actually look, I said a few times that I didn't think it mattered if we signed Hairston or not because we weren't going to be any good anytime soon.

The 6 mil comment was directed at what a waste of the limited resources Sandy did have to garbage players. And whatever comment yours was, which we don't know because your trolling got one of your names deleted.

• Reply to this Message
  • Nov-12
  • thagreat1
I just wish we would've dealt Hairston for anything last trading deadline. I doubt we could've gotten as much as we did for Byrd but something is always better than nothing.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Nov-12
  • MetObserver

Yeah teams are always looking for a slow footed, poor outfield that can only hit left handers. Most world series teams depend on platoon players.

Before you can trade you have to have a partner to trade with. Because garbage out only brings garbage in. So not every play ends up being traded some just fade away.

• Reply to this Message
  • Nov-12
  • thagreat1

But Hairston was having a productive season and at the time had some type of value. No matter how much you want to deny it, if we shopped him, someone could've used him down the stretch. I know you think this is the most impossible illogical thing in the entire universe.....but it's not.

You come from a very closed minded generation. Thank god for the new breed.

Edited Nov-12   by  thagreat1
Edited Nov-12   by  thagreat1
  • Reply to this Message
  • Nov-12
  • MetObserver

Yes of course jump to reading my mind and thinking it is the "most impossible illogical thing in the entire universe". Nice putting words in my mouth much like the arrogant younger generation.

I was stating that you have to have two to trade. Which teams were in the race that needed a righthanded hitter who's only saving grace is that he could hit lefties at a .300 rate with some power. Then think what they would give up for such a player. Remember this is not a Beltran we are talking about, nor a player to likely stay with the team. Just a two month rental.

Now tell me what type of garbage would we receive in return? And would it be worth losing a few extra games that year to acquire.

And you need not include any more age references we already know that you don't like older people. Most likely because they aren't easily swayed with BS.

• Reply to this Message
  • Nov-12
  • DanNYM
The Phillies jus got even older.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Nov-12
  • thagreat1

Now tell me what type of garbage would we receive in return? And would it be worth losing a few extra games that year to acquire.>>>>>

A few extra games loss would've given us a protected pick...the 2012 offseason would've been entirely different.

Even if we got back a single A long shot I would've taken that seeing how something is always better than nothing. Plus Hairstons value at the time was the highest it's ever been or ever will be.

I wasn't ripping the FO for not trading Hairston, all I meekly said was I wish we would have dealt him at deadline...then here comes Father Time ( YOU ) coming outta nowhere giving his grumpy old man fart input. Dolt.

• Reply to this Message
  • Nov-12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

'Even if we got back a single A long shot I would've taken that seeing how something is always better than nothing. Plus Hairstons value at the time was the highest it's ever been or ever will be.'

Exactly. Something>Nothing. Same reason I was happy with the Byrd trade.

Simple concept.

• Reply to this Message
  • Nov-13
  • Gepett0

actually a lot

there were teams lining up to take on hairston...they just weren't willing to give up more than the kind of haul we got for Krod to do it

• Reply to this Message
  • Nov-13
  • Gepett0

truthfully the guys we got for byrd could turn out to be above average major leaguers....we got a guy that is probably a solid middle reliever and has had people say that he could potentiallly be a set up guy or even a closer

AND we got one of the top 10 2b prospects in baseball (actually bt him and flores we now have the 7th and 8th best 2b prospects in baseball...) w/ a good contact tool, better power than youd expect, and no real questions about if he can stay at the position long term

thats one he.ll of a haul for a 36 year old outfielder having a career year on a one year deal

• Reply to this Message