• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• So far, I give this off season a C-/C....
  • To:All
  • 1/24/13
  • DFAB

The Dickey trade was a great move so that deserves an A. However, we have pretty much done NOTHING after that....at least until we just signed Marcum, which was a GREAT move. We failed to sign a decent OFer who was CHEAP (Young) and now our "backup plan" in Hairston is gone. If we were to be done making moves, I'd rate this off season as a "C-/C". There IS one move IMO that could turn that grade into an A.....

TRADE FOR STANTON!!!!!

That would make things very interesting.....

Realistic? Probably not...but that would certainly make me feel a lot better about the OS lol...

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • fargol

"TRADE FOR STANTON!!!!!"

Well, if they did trade for him, I'd be extremely nervous about finding out what they had to give up for him.

If not Niese, Harvey, and Wheeler, then the trade would be graded far better than if they had to give up one (or more - ouch) of those three.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • danthemetfan
I dont think Fla would be on the phone once the Mets removed any of those players.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • 4545_ajd

"The Dickey trade was a great move so that deserves an A. However, we have pretty much done NOTHING after that....at least until we just signed Marcum, which was a GREAT move."

They did sign Wright to a long term deal too, which a lot of people did not think would happen.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • DFAB
well...a trade assuming we didn't get cleaned out of course...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • DFAB

Idk....sure they would ASK for Wheeler/Harvey/Niese...but if I offered:

Flores+Familia+Mejia+Syndergaard/Fulmer+DD/Kirk+Tapia/lower lvl prospect

They would certainly listen. That is a lot of talent...a lot for us to give up.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • DFAB
Well, resigning Wright was pretty much "staying the course" and I'm talking about actual ADDITIONS.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • 4545_ajd

"Well, resigning Wright was pretty much "staying the course" and I'm talking about actual ADDITIONS."

But if we didn't it would be a huge negative, so you can't just act like it was no big deal.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • brianinwi

I'll give it a solid "B" so far. Trade Flores for his equivalent in the outfield, and I'll call it an "A."

Trading Wright would have been the power move, but I completely understand the desire to keep him here.

Edited 1/24/13   by  brianinwi
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • fargol

"well...a trade assuming we didn't get cleaned out of course... "

Exactly. I like Stanton, but not at the expense of the farm.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • DFAB
I'm not saying it wasn't a big deal. I'm glad we did resign him. With that, the grade is still a C/C- IMO.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • DFAB
For me to give it a B, I'd add 1 more SP for depth...(Chris Young would be perfect for this), and bring Hairston back...which obviously can't happen now...so adding a decent OFer who is a ML player. If we added Bourn without losing a draft pick then I'd give a B+/A-.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metsnation
Those moves plus a decent bullpen arm would have made this a good offseason. It also allows the Mets to trade older starters at the deadline and bring up youngsters if they are ready while getting more prospects in return. Even move Santana and eat salary.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • burningmyeyes
DFAB,
I agree with most of your post except 1 big one! I think it is WAY to early to call trading a Cy Young winning pitcher away for an injury prone catcher and a low level pitching prospect a Great deal! d'arnoud has NOT played more then 75 games in the last couple seasons. Im hopeful it works out because if it doesnt, we are REALLY up the creek!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • 4545_ajd

" d'arnoud has NOT played more then 75 games in the last couple seasons."

d'Arnaud played 126 and 114 in 2 out of the last 4 years.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • edmet
every team in mlb wants stanton, he will be traded but not now.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • edmet
young wont want to go to minors, our starting 5 is set and wheeler should be up june.july. in a perfect world, marcum is lights out and we trade him (or johan) for good piece, bring wheeler up. if johan is healthy i would hate to see him go. but we would have to listen to offers.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • joemets22

"Idk....sure they would ASK for Wheeler/Harvey/Niese...but if I offered:

Flores+Familia+Mejia+Syndergaard/Fulmer+DD/Kirk+Tapia/lower lvl prospect

They would certainly listen. That is a lot of talent...a lot for us to give up."

Dude come on, they would not listen to that. Do you know how many teams would offer up packages centered around ELITE prospects? I'd be praising Sandy if he was able to get it done while giving up only 1 of Harvey or Wheeler.

Stanton isn't any kind of salary dump, the guy is under control for a few years still and has put up incredible numbers for his age and is as big a lock as there is in the game to be an elite cleanup hitter for the next 10+ years. You're not getting him for a package of 2nd and 3rd tier prospects, which all of those guys that you mentioned are at this point.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • brianinwi

I think it might be easier to sign a solid reliever (or two) than another starting pitcher. Matt Capps and/or K-Rod on a one-year contract would fit the bill very nicely. This would also let you use Mejia as starting rotation depth (where he's had more success), instead of in the bullpen.

If they can sign Bourn to a reasonable, short-term deal without surrendering a first-round draft pick, then Sandy is truly a magician. I still think a more likely (and ultimately better) scenario is to trade Flores for a AA/AAA outfield prospect with similar potential.

If Sandy can do ALL of these, then I'll upgrade him to wizard.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • DFAB
I understand that nothing we got back is proven yet aside from Buck...but getting TWO blue chip prospects, a good ceiling prospect, plus an upgrade at C for a 38 year old pitcher IS a good deal. Wheeler isn't proven yet but I'd still say the Beltran trade was a great deal as well.
  • Reply to this Message