• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Dickey and Hairston won us a lot of games last season..
  • To:All
  • 1/24/13
  • anthony888

I don't know the actual numbers, but I do remember Hairston saving us a lot of games with late inning, timely homers.

And.... Dickey... well lots of well - pitched innings.

We better have a few miracles in our cards.

Those two guys played a big part in the few wins we did have.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • p2may

"I don't know the actual numbers, but I do remember Hairston saving us a lot of games with late inning, timely homers.

And.... Dickey... well lots of well - pitched innings.

We better have a few miracles in our cards.

Those two guys played a big part in the few wins we did have.?

maybe i am a little bit bitter about this offseason...but Ralph Kiner tells a story...about negotiating a contract with Branch Rickey...when he asked for a raise after winning the home run crown....Rickey told him..."we came in last with you...we can come in last without you"...in the overall scheme of things....losing Dickey at 37 and Hairston a nice guy who had a career year...out with the old...in with the new.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • MetObserver

You also have to remember how many times our catchers would come to bat and get us nothing. With better catchers we may be replacing some of the offense we got from Hairston. And they will have some help from a healthier Davis.

What ever happens with the pitchers that replace Dickey's 34 starts. They may not have a 20 game season but they also aren't going to lose all 34 games. So you can't say that losing Dickey will cost 20 games. We don't know who or how many pitchers will be used during this coming season. Harvey may be one of those pitchers to step up and cover some of those starts. Johan is another that if he stays healthy could complete the season strong and take up some more of his starts. The rest will have to be picked up by Gee and now Marcum plus a possible Wheeler later in the season.

So we don't know what the effects will be on the team so far. And there may be further moves made to help by getting bull pen help and or more offense in the outfield.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • TheGMan47
We won't be losing Dickey's 20 wins. Wins are team dependent. I believe Dickey's WAR was around 5.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547767.5 was deleted
  • 1/24/13
  • TheGMan47
I agree that war is not a perfect stat, I'm just saying that we won't have to replace 20 wins.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • reinman43
Yeh, but no more Jason Bay & Josh Thole and the back up scrub Nickeas that will offset the departure of Dickey and Hairston.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 547767.8 through 547767.9 were deleted
  • 1/24/13
  • metsnation
Hairston probably won't repeat last season but the Mets needed that RH bat. The whole lineup is practically LH
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Kranesback
So we basically traded Hairston for Marcum...not bad but no BFD
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 547767.12 through 547767.13 were deleted
  • 1/24/13
  • bbjmparis
Buck is no hero...but better than Thole who was going to be our catcher of the future only two years ago.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • johnyringo
Defeatists....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • p2may
Not a defeatist...fan since ,62....like Cosell used to say....just call em like I see um
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • jsmet

Yeh, but no more Jason Bay & Josh Thole and the back up scrub Nickeas that will offset the departure of Dickey and Hairston

Exactly

• Reply to this Message