• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Bourn or Lohse???
  • To:All
  • 1/21/13
  • gokemaster

Again, the Wilpons and their lack of spending is an obstacle, but it seems like both Bourn and Lohse have lowered their asking prices big time. Both would cost us the 11th pick in the draft, but if the price was right, I would go for one of them.

Lohse (34 yrs old) : 16-3 2.86 ERA 1.09 WHIP
Bourn (30 yrs old) : .274 BA 9 HR 57 RBI 42 SB

Lohse's age is a big factor but in a way, he would be the safer choice due to the fact that Bourn relies on his legs so much. At the same time, our OF is pathetic while we do have some SP depth despite dealing RA. Who would you go with, assuming the price tags would be pretty similar?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • danthemetfan
The Mets OF is woeful, but i'd rather Loshe. Bourne is not worth his desired contract (as a Boras client i feel safe saying that), and the Mets would lose their #1 pick.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547719.3 was deleted
  • 1/21/13
  • alex8686
Pass on each. No sense overpaying for veteran free agents. It's almost never a good idea to do that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • gokemaster
I believe lohse would cost us our first round pick too...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • danthemetfan
then no to both... not enough upside.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • gokemaster
I'm just saying that both guys are desperate to sign because ST is only a month away. Reports have said that Lohse hasn't received an offer upward of 2 years. 3 years/24 million could get it done, but Im not sure.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547719.8 was deleted
  • 1/21/13
  • gokemaster
No way will anybody offer 7 years to a 30 yr old CF. 5yr/60 million is decent to me
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • Gepett0

i wouldnt give up the 11th pick in the draft if lohse told me that hed pitch for the major league minimum on a 2 year deal

hes just not that good and the 11th pick in the draft is worth more

id be wary of giving up that pick for bourn on anything shorter or longer than a 3 year deal...if bourn took a 3 year 24 million dollar deal w/ a team option for a 4th year at an additional 8 mil, i would give up our pick for that

anything over 4 years, i wouldnt do...anything under 3 years i wouldnt do...it would have to be 3-4 years at a price range that wouldn't kill our ability to sign other players even if the contract didnt work out....otherwise, the 11th pick in the draft still has more value imo

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • skorpio520
if im losing the 11th pick,its for bourn. not lohse.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • AdrianMonk

I don't want either. We need to stay the course.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • 86mex17
None! Draft pick instead!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • wrghtknght
WHAT COURSE? A course of self-destruction? Wilpons just want to recover as much money as they can, and don't seem to care that the public perception of them is that they don't know which end of the team is "up"!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • PigIron
Typical of the Mets. Bourn to Lohse.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • CPCP
Pass on both. Neither of these guys is going to help us get to the playoffs and if we sign them, at this time next year I will be reading posts all over this board about how much money we would have to spend had we not signed Bourn and Loshe. We already know 2013 is going to be a bad year for us, let's just take our licks now and come back in 2014.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • metman79

I thought top 15 picks were protected, but I would still pass, I would prefer the draft pick.

Of the 2 I would rather have Bourne

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • edmet
j.upton via trade, m.bourne 5ys $65m w player opt out after yr 2, scott hairston 2yrs $4m per in that order. k.loshe, pass with wheeler coming,
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • fargol

"Typical of the Mets. Bourn to Lohse. "

Ha well done.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • MetObserver
Well if you speak the truth everyone will get their wish of a new owner sooner rather than later. Because if they continue to just cut payroll they will not be able to hold on to the team for long. If the young pitchers and TDA start doing well going into 2014 and the owners have a $50 million dollar payroll they will be forced to do something to support that pitching staff and infield. If not at that time they will be signing their own death warrants as owners.
  • Reply to this Message