• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• I once got into a batting cage gunning 90
  • To:All
  • 1/20/13
  • alex8686

And was blown away and totally overpowered. I couldn't time that thing for the life of me. It is HARD. 85 I'm good with but I could not handle 90. I can imagine what getting in there against Chapman or Strasburg is like. It's impossible to hit that thing even when you know it's coming right down the pipe.

And I'm 6'4" 200 pounds. I'm athletic. It's hard to hit.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547700.2 was deleted
  • 1/20/13
  • Haldane
Very true! But it sounds like you're making an argument for letting the "PED cheats" into the hall of fame. After all, it doesn't matter how big your muscles are if you can't hit the ball!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • TheFriNgE

what?? !!!!!

Ok re-read.. you threw me with the hall of fame/PED comment. Yeah true about strength, but not an excuse, since PED's sharpen the senses too, do they not?

Edited 1/20/13   by  TheFriNgE
Edited 1/20/13   by  TheFriNgE
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • RobfromLI

When I went to the cages I was 150lbs soaking wet, I won't bother mentioning what I am now ...

Anyway, the cages are easy to catch up to. You start at the 60 mph range and work your way up and then it's just timing. My eye is always on the release, not the ball itself. If I try to track the ball itself I'm hitting opposite field and fouling off.

I can catch up ... wait ... I could catch up to 90 mph fastballs when I was in my 20's but if you went and tossed a change up in there I'd fall on face so hard I might break it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • alex8686

Yeah, well to give myself credit it was kind of hard to pick the ball up out of the gun. Kind of dark and there was this screen. Also the balls weren't real baseballs, they were these yellow balls with divets in them. That makes a difference.

I know I can absolutely dominate 86 MPH real baseballs in an outdoor batting cage.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • RobfromLI

I never went at night.

I used to tick the guys off because I fancies myself a switch hitter and I'd flip sides of the plate between pitches. They hated that lol.

And I know the yellow balls you're talking about. I didn't think any cages used real baseballs? I'd love to go to an outdoor range that used real baseballs with real dimensions. Just once I'd like to pretend I could hit a ball to the wall ... even if it was on a bounce lol.

On a side note the fastest I was ever clocked throwing a ball was 62 mph lol! I can't even throw a knuckle ball!

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • Haldane
Ummmm, no. They don't sharpen the senses. That's what the "greenies" are for!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • Gepett0

location matters too

i can catch up to 90 mph heat knee to belt high but when you get that letter high strike in there, i cant even come close

and size doesnt really matter in just trying to hit it, its all about bat speed

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • alex8686
I think this one was maybe more like 93-95. Really heavy yellow baseballs that I couldn't time at all. All I could do was foul them off. There's an outdoor batting cage in Kingston, NY and at that one you can pick the ball up better. They use real baseballs and there's a huge net that goes way back so you can kind of gauge where it would go.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547700.11 was deleted
  • 1/21/13
  • alex8686
lol, maybe I am.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547700.13 was deleted
  • 1/21/13
  • kaztast1c

I play amatuer ball in a wood bat league. Guys top out at 85 since its for ex pro/college players who are over 30. We go to a cage to get our timing on balls thrown from 90-95. Early in the season, everyone is late. A couple weeks into spring training and the whole team looks like Ted Williams in the cage. It easy when you know the speed and location. It's the difference between a thrower and a pitcher.

Once we get to live batting all bets are off. When you are focusing on seems and not divots, arm angles and not a swing arm, or spin of the ball and not speed the game gets much much harder. I can hit 90 no problem....unless its been set up by 2 curveballs away and a changeup.

Also, PEDs like roids and HGH don't help with focus. You can food up to the size that will allow you to carry a school bus on your back and it won't help you see a baseball any better.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547700.15 was deleted
  • 1/21/13
  • frkaz911

In my 40's and quite overweight, not having swung a bat in years, I messed up my sciatica in a batting cage and couldn't even walk for a week.

I consider myself foolish for what I did. I believe the Mets would consider me a low-risk, high-reward signing.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547700.17 was deleted
  • 1/21/13
  • MetObserver
I am much older than you and purposely go out of my way to not drive past the batting cages when I have my grandkids in the car. Afraid that if we stop they would want me to try it and I would kill my self with the bat. Too old to play, too young to die.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • fargol
LOL
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • frkaz911
I'm a little taller than Mo, but yea, I was close to his standards by the time I hit my 40's. And, just like Mo, I could hit a ball off the wall and still get thrown out at first.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Josh Thole is Hitting .526!!!!!!!
Latest by thagreat1 - 12:28 AM
Cardinals had 7 more hits and struck out 9 more batters
Latest by p2may - 12:27 AM
It's a shame we passed on Abreu and Cruz...
Latest by mets13385 - 12:26 AM
So far the best hitting team we've seen are the Braves
Latest by p2may - 12:25 AM
Baseball is weird!
Latest by jm1950 - 12:24 AM
Music Thread II
Latest by sparky606 - 12:24 AM
Love Dice K in the pen
Latest by mets13385 - 12:22 AM
Duda on pace for 31hr
Latest by metsfanforlife - 12:18 AM
Scrabble