• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Austin Wilson
  • To:All
  • 1/19/13
  • The5Wright5Way
It's gotta be Wilson. I can see him going 5th, 8th, 9th, 10th or 11th. hope its 11th.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • capicu76
I like Jan Hernandez a lot...If Wilson has a strong season at Stanford, I don't see him lasting until 11th when Alderson and company are on the clock...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • The5Wright5Way
Wilson
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • metrebel

It's gotta be Wilson. I can see him going 5th, 8th, 9th, 10th or 11th. hope its 11th.

As posted if this kid has a storng season I don't know if he will be around by the time it gets to the 11th pick. In any even they will take the player they feel is the best available when they pick.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • capicu76
I feel the front office will draft the player it feels is the most signable at 11. There are strong arguments to be made that the front office passed on better talent over Alderson's last two drafts in favor of signing players who didn't demand huge signing bonuses.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • metrebel

>> I feel the front office will draft the player it feels is the most signable at 11. There are strong arguments to be made that the front office passed on better talent over Alderson's last two drafts in favor of signing players who didn't demand huge signing bonuses.

Signability is going to be a big concern for all teams in the draft. With the hard slots you've got to know if you sign the kid. Many draft gurus felt Nimmo would go in the top 15, and there was a chance that Cecchini would go in the top ten. Any draft pick is a risk, but HS kids are far more of a risk than a college kid. This new system is going to make a very hard for a team to build through the draft.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • Robert
Who thought ceccini in the top ten you and your fellow kool aiders
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • metrebel

>>Who thought ceccini in the top ten you and your fellow kool aiders

There were one or two scouting reports that he could go in the top ten. The draft gurus from ESPN that were at the draft were'nt too surprised when he went that high. He's got a good ceiling, but he is a high school kid so he's a long way from the majors and anything can happen. I'm not kool aider. Far from it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • capicu76

I'm willing to go on record that I was not thrilled with Alderson's last two drafts. I wanted Barnes in 2011 draft and the front office went with Nimmo, an extremely raw player and I wanted Hawkins in the 2012 draft.

Only time will tell if the front office made the right choices.

Coupled with the departure of Reyes and subsequently drafting Plawecki, I have to admit that I was livid with the front office and ownership for allowing that to happen.

Edited 1/20/13   by  capicu76
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • Gepett0

i actually like the first draft

i understand why you wanted barnes but in many ways barnes was exactly the kind of pick that many railed on omar for making - a very close to mlb ready college pitcher that happened to continue to develop after he was drafted but was in some ways a "safe" pick....he kinda reminds me of harvey in that respect

i thought taking the risk on nimmo who still has the chance to be a superstar w/ his tools (though more likely a pence-like player) and then fulmer showed a different strategy and approach that many had been clamoring for for years...and i think both of those players will be solid to great major leaguers in a few years

last years draft i totally agree w/ you....i didnt LOVE hawkins and was higher on giolito but i did not like the cecch pick...though I am willing to give the kid a chance to prove me wrong...his cieling was just not high enough for that kind of high risk hs pick

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • capicu76
I wanted the Mets to take the risk on Giolito, who prior to injury, was being projected to be a top three pick, but I knew full and well the Wilpons wouldn't be willing to meet his bonus demands. Hawkins was my second choice.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • brianinwi
Judging by the performance of the pitchers who arrived in St. Lucie last year, I'd say Alderson did very well in the later rounds of the draft. Pill, Leathersich, and some others certainly outclassed many others in the FSL. Time will tell.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • AdrianMonk

I expect them to draft someone projected 15th-20th and more of a project.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • Gepett0
again, i said i feel the 2011 draft was a success and we see those results already...but ive really yet to see much promising results out of most of the guys he took in last years draft....i personally think the new structure messed w/ a lot of teams draft strategies and sandy was among those who did not do well the first time out
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • Gepett0
i did like the taylor and flexen picks late in the draft last year....other than that, i felt it was a bit of a bust ...it seemed to me that just about every pick from the first 10 rounds was a reach w/ limited upside
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • Gepett0
honestly, i gave them a pass on last years draft but if they pull that reaching cr*p again, im more or less done....you can't claim that your priority is building the farm and then spend less than your allotted money bc you draft high risk low reward players at every turn
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • skorpio520
HERE COMES THE JUDGE
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • AdrianMonk

There's no grammar in baseball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXR7iMbkLCM

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • 86mex17
I think we deff. should go outfielder. I just dont think Wilson will fall to us. Austin Meadows is prob. gonna be the first outfielder taken. Wilson ,I like him the most out of the outfielders after Meadows... clint frazier is undersized (I dont like undersized players) Then you have Justin Williams, I dont like his stride (he has none) I question power development when he faces pitchers with pro arms,I like aaron Judge but hes really raw IMO, He lack fundementals in hitting with making contact, seems like all or nothing, that I dont know you can teach him to break at this stage , I see alot of strikeouts for him. Like I said I like wilson , Big body room to grow his stance you can adjust if he has trouble, (open stands tall)real athletic, (Right handed) I hope he falls to us.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/22/13
  • 86mex17
I think we deff. should go outfielder. I just dont think Wilson will fall to us. Austin Meadows is prob. gonna be the first outfielder taken. Wilson ,I like him the most out of the outfielders after Meadows... clint frazier is undersized (I dont like undersized players) Then you have Justin Williams, I dont like his stride (he has none) I question power development when he faces pitchers with pro arms,I like aaron Judge but hes really raw IMO, He lack fundementals in hitting with making contact, seems like all or nothing, that I dont know you can teach him to break at this stage , I see alot of strikeouts for him. Like I said I like wilson , Big body room to grow his stance you can adjust if he has trouble, (open stands tall,power stride)real athletic, (Right handed) I hope he falls to us.

Edited 1/22/13   by  86mex17
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Joey Gallo
Latest by thebobymon - 6:52 AM
All Kirk does is swing and miss
Latest by sb51 - 6:51 AM
Duda on pace for 31hr
Latest by joebatboy03 - 6:47 AM
Random Letters Game
Latest by henry715 - 6:46 AM
Musician Name Game