Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Parnell agrees to 1 year deal
  • 1/17/13
  • metsicle
Good. I like Parnell.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • JackNicholson
team control till 2015. Not a 1 year deal. 1.7 million per.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547644.4 was deleted
  • 1/18/13
  • JackNicholson

wait.... you might have been right the first time. Which is strange because arbitration settling doesn't usually work like that.

Reports I just looked over say 1 year deal for 1.7 but team control till 2015. Don't know what Mets are doing, if they are going year per year with him, which would be stupid. Or if article got it wrong.

I apologize for correcting you, as you may be right.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547644.6 was deleted
  • 1/18/13
  • JackNicholson
huh... wonder what they are planning. Parnell would have only got around 1.5 million in arbitration apparently. Curious to give him slightly more then push his contract off again till 2014. Maybe Mets looking to trade Parnell at some point?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547644.8 was deleted
  • 1/18/13
  • ExileMetsFan
A player eligible for arbitration is still technically "under team control". He can't sign elsewhere. The only difference is he has some power over his salary.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547644.10 was deleted
  • 1/18/13
  • JackNicholson
i know how arbitration works. It's just curious that they only settled 2013 and left 2014 unsettled. Most cases settle the salary through end of team control.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • ExileMetsFan

"Most cases settle the salary through end of team control. "

No, because he's eligible for arbitration next year. Sometimes Teams lock up a player through the end of arbitration and into the first FA year or two (like the Mets did with Wright and Reyes), but it is by no means universal.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • skorpio520
If he pitches next year like he pitched last year.id like to lock him up for atleast the next 4 years next offseason
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • MetObserver
Still time to do that next year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • skorpio520
oh i know.i think its a strong possibilty next year ,especially if he pitches effectively again.i think hes under team control for the next 3 seasons. plenty of time.
id buy out the last two years of his arbitration if he does it again next year is all im saying.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • skorpio520
especially since they SHOULD have a lil more moolah to play with
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • MetObserver
Don't forget it is not only up to the team to lock up arbitration and FA years with a contract. The player and his agent must also agree. Levinsons ACES does represent a number of players on the team, eight that are listed, so they must have a report with the front office.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • ewok54
If he continues to develop the offspeed he will be a real asset. A 100MPH fastball and a sinker made Mariano a HOF. I'm not comparing him. Just pointing out that the offspeed pitch could really ramp up his effectiveness.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • skorpio520

his first attempt as A closer failed ,imo,because he was trying to blow ppl away with his fastball.i agree,mix an offspeed pitch or two ,and he COULD be an outstanding closer.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • MetObserver
Mariano Rivera throws a nasty cutter at the hands of a batter not a 100 MPH fast ball and not a sinker.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547644.21 was deleted
Recent Discussions
Matt Bowman - Binghamton
Latest by comeagain - 8:09 PM
Cubs
Latest by johnyringo - 8:08 PM
Music Thread II
Latest by vbch - 8:01 PM
Will Myers struggling
Latest by AdrianMonk - 8:01 PM
Random Letters Game