• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Sandy is working on a trade for a RF
  • To:All
  • 1/17/13
  • alex8686
Reading between the lines on his interview today it's obvious he's going after someone. Probably waiting on signing Hairston to see if anything goes through. I wonder which RF he is looking at. Justin Upton plays RF. That would be something if they got that guy.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • 4545_ajd
Francessa asked him to handicap the chances of a trade for a RFer happening he said 50/50. So we shall see.

Edited 1/17/13   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • sheadro
I think he definitely has an eye on Upton and ideally would like to land him, but I think that it would be at a certain cost and I just don't know if the market will ever match the value he wants. It would be nice though.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • alex8686
Yeah. It seemed more likely that the trade wouldn't happen reading between the lines.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • alex8686
It's a long shot, but Upton has a fairly big contract the next three years and it's possible the Mets could get him cheap, ie without giving up Wheeler or D'arnaud. I wouldn't count on it but it's a possibility.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • hamp
I saw the interview and that was my impression as well.....Every team wants Wheeler.....if they got an every day RF I think they would be satisfied with Hairston/Duda in LF and Kirk/Cowgill in CF
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • DFAB
I'm sure SA is trying to do something...but that something should be in ADDITION to bringing back Hairston. We have to do EVERYTHING we can to improve the team not just 1 or 2 things.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • 4545_ajd

"but that something should be in ADDITION to bringing back Hairston."

He said sticking point with Hairston is playing time, so doing both probably not an option.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • govmule72

Even the Sandy apologists have to admit this whole thing is becoming comical. I actually do agree with Francessa's general point which is you kind of have to field a team out there.

Even if it seems very obvious we're going nowhere you have to at least try. We can't go out there with an AA outfield. It's ridiculous.

I mean can we really spend NOTHING? I just can't believe that, sorry.

This is whole debacle is fraudulent.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • sheadro
The key right now is Bourne. I think there is a decent chance he ends up in Texas when all is said and done. If he goes there and takes the Rangers out of the mix for serious bidders then our chances dramatically improve assuming that the D'Backs remain motivated to move him. I think we have the pieces to get a trade done without giving up Harvey, Wheeler, or TDA, but first we need to have Texas out of the picture
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • MetObserver
It is Hairston that whats to be a starter and that is most likely why no team is interested in paying a starters salary for what they would use him as a bench player.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • alex8686
Yeah. Atlanta is serious about Upton too.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • gomets66

“We’re still confronted with 2013, and I’m not happy with the preparation for 2013,” Sandy explained.>>>>

he has had only 2 months to do something for 2013. not sure why he is getting down on himself for doing absolutely nothing for 2013 to this point.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • murphstates
There was a report the other day that Texas decided to hang onto their prospects to make a run at Stanton when he becomes available..
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • sheadro
And that's fine. I didn't say if not Texas he is ours just that the our chances are greatly improved. Texas has MLB ready or near ready top prospects to offer up, Atlanta's system much like ours in that the strength is high upside lower level pitching depth. They do have Terheran to offer, but it remains to be seen if they would include him with his value being at a low point or whether Towers is high on him at this point. If you take Texas out of the mix after the M's our best non-Wheeler/Harvey/TDA package is instantly more competitive
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • alex8686

The problem with an Upton deal is fan perception is often a crucial factor. You usually need one big name top prospect to headline the deal. That'd have to be Wheeler.

I think the Mets have the prospects outside Wheeler to make a trade for Upton, but they're probably going to need a headliner prospect to sell it to the fans.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • sheadro
I don't totally disagree, but apparently Towers doesn't care. See: Trevor Bauer trade. The fans don't support trading him to begin with, no matter the names it isn't going to go over well and will be a tough sell.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • alex8686
Yeah, true. He doesn't seem to care as much. Unloading Bauer for a relatively unknown and not highly regarded shortstop was pretty bold. I think that's actually the way to success most of the time. Perception is often misleading.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
Yeah, working on getting another fourth outfielder. How can you be working on a a trade when they don't want to trade their best pieces.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • nextyearm
The only way Upton makes it here is if Wheeler is involved. That;s not gonna happen and ARI isent gonna lower the price. They have plenty of teams that would pay an =prospect of Wheeler + more. I would love Upton but it makes no sense for anyone but us IMO.
  • Reply to this Message