• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mets Offered Hairston 1 Year, $2M
  • To:All
  • 1/16/13
  • nvmets10
According to Mike Puma of the NY Post. I know he's best suited as a platoon player but jeez, the guy hit 20 home runs. $2 million seems to border on insulting, no?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • fargol

"According to Mike Puma of the NY Post. I know he's best suited as a platoon player but jeez, the guy hit 20 home runs. $2 million seems to border on insulting, no? "

Well, since he's never played a full season, and only really hits lefties well, and is not a candidate for a late-inning defensive replacement, I think 3 million is about right.

But unless someone else bids higher, why wouldn't the Mets start low? Doesn't every team do that?

I think players understand that, and I doubt he's insulted.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547607.3 was deleted
  • 1/16/13
  • nvmets10
Well I guess those questions will be answered when he signs. We'll see if anyone bid higher. But the guy has statistically been worth an average of about $5.7 million over the past six years.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • murphstates
Considering Murphy is projected to make $3 million in arbitration and Hairston demonstrated better run production I would characterize that as a very low offer.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • 4545_ajd
Sandy likes guys with a high OBP, He is not going to go crazy for a guy with a low OBP like Hairston, unless he can get him at his price.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • nvmets10
Exactly. I mean, take a look at the guys that actually have gotten $2M or more this offseason. My god, Andres Torres was given 1 year and $2M. Ty Wigginton and Jack Hannahan got two year contracts worth that amount per season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • murphstates
Part of it is battered fan syndrome. Hairston isn't going to make or break this season, but we've heard this song so many times before it's getting very hard to view these reports as negotiating tactics and not simply a set up for the eventual departure.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • skorpio520
20 homeruns aside (seriously,does anyone think hes gonna do that again?) id go a little higher.maybe 3.5 mil.he hit batting skills vs lefties are non existent, his defense leaves something to be desired.his only real claim to deserving much more is ONE season ,he hit 20 hr's.
its a fair offer and if he decides to decline it then i wish him the best.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • nvmets10
I don't know that I'd characterize, say, $4M as "going crazy". The thing is we haven't signed ANY position player for more than $1.3M since 2009. Frightening statement.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • thebobymon

>>$2 million seems to border on insulting, no?<<

No.

• Reply to this Message
Messages 547607.12 through 547607.13 were deleted
  • 1/16/13
  • danthemetfan
wats the Mets record with Hairston, vs what it would be w/o him? Do you think it makes that much of a difference? Does Scott Hairston get this team in to the playoffs? If the answer is no, does it matter if they sign him or not? Does it matter the team saves a few million bucks? This team is not a playoff contender this year, unless they play way over their heads.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • 86mex17
No
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • Deadtrek
The key is to offer a contract with absolutely no chance of the player agreeing to it... "At least we tried" has replaced "lets go mets"
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • 86mex17

5.7 mil?? Iam curious man who is that according to?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hairssc01.shtml

Those stats are 5.7 a year/?? Cant be possible!

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • skorpio520

"I don't know that I'd characterize, say, $4M as "going crazy". The thing is we haven't signed ANY position player for more than $1.3M since 2009. Frightening statement."

i hear ya.and A part of me agrees but hes A fourth outfielder.not worth 8 million dollars

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • danthemetfan
and if Hairston doesnt take it, does that really hurt the team?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • DFAB
if the Mets don't sign Hairston over only 2m, then I don't know what to say....
  • Reply to this Message