• To:All
  • 12/20/12
  • skorpio520
LOL you guys are funny.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546866.10 was deleted
  • 12/20/12
  • Gepett0

its not smart to trade the only lefty in your system w/ any talent at all...

what do wheeler, fulmer, montero, syndergaard, familia, mejia, harvey and tapia all have in common?

in order to find a lefty w/ the potential to be more than a solid to good bp guy or a back end starter, you have to go down to kingsport w/ matz, who can't seem to pitch a full season

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • Remember86
Why are we trading a young lefty who could be our number three starter for years to come? Besides which, we've already traded Dickey (which I was in favor of), who's going to pitch next season if Niese is traded too? We need offensive help, but not at that price.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • bbjmparis
Don't you think we need someone on our team to pitch who doesn't stink?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • DFAB
that would be a HORRIBLE trade for us...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • metrebel

>> Why are we trading a young lefty who could be our number three starter for years to come? Besides which, we've already traded Dickey (which I was in favor of), who's going to pitch next season if Niese is traded too? We need offensive help, but not at that price.

Good lefty pitching is in high demand in MLB. Considering that the better pitching prospects the Mets have all throw for the right side you can't give up the only lefty you have. I don't give this kid up.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • AdrianMonk

Well, I suspect you just put this together as a shot in the dark. Don't know if Castellanos is really that much of an elite prospect. He's the Tiger's #1 and #10 on MLB.com, but he hasn't done much yet. Looks like a slightly more advanced version of Nimmo. Why don't you work out a trade getting him for a package of lesser Met prospects and maybe we'll sign off on it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • DFAB
If we dealt Niese, the return better look at LEAST something like this: Olt+Perez+Buckel
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • metrebel

>> If we dealt Niese, the return better look at LEAST something like this: Olt+Perez+Buckel

Lefty pitching is in great demand. You have to get a killer package back. Unless that happened I would not trade this kid.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • MetObserver

Pitching wins but you must have a balance. To trade away 2/5 of your starters in order to get a little better offense isn't going to help in the long run.

I would rather keep the young pitchers and improve the offense in incremental units each year in order to get to that balance. Not all at once at the expense of a young pitcher.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • metrebel

>> Pitching wins but you must have a balance. To trade away 2/5 of your starters in order to get a little better offense isn't going to help in the long run.

Pitching is the name of the game. This is an if. Everything is this game is. If Neise continues to progress, and Harvey and Wheeler pitch to their potential, the Mets in a year or two could have a top of the rotation few teams can match. Then there are these other kids behind them. They won't all make it of course.

>> I would rather keep the young pitchers and improve the offense in incremental units each year in order to get to that balance. Not all at once at the expense of a young pitcher.

If you build around pitching you do need need offense, but it doesn't have to great. It's nice if it is, but the better you pitch the less runs you need.

• Reply to this Message
Message 546866.21 was deleted