• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• What good free agents are on the market next offseason?
  • To:All
  • 12/19/12
  • CoBrA
Anyone know any good names? please no garbage players.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • Gepett0

the top name are:

mike morse
jacoby ellsbury
curtis granderson
hunter pence
Shin-Soo Choo
Corey Hart
Nelson Cruz

....& Carlos Beltran....though really, i can't see him staying in the nl AGAIN

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • gomets66
and all of them will be in the 30-34 YO range and a few will be looking for the bj upton like deal or more next winter.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • PrayedforBay
This is kind of why it would have been nice to sign or trade for someone this year. There is still time, but options are running thin.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • skorpio520

ive been saying so far we should sign bourn this year.reason i think we should deviate from the "plan" a bit is because theres noone really worth rolling the dice on next year.
i might have a talk with pence,maybe hart depending on his contract demands ,length and money.but noone else i want.

it would actually annoy me off a bit if we signed ellsbury.bourn is just as good,would maybe cost a little less,and does not have nowhere near the history of injurys that ellsbury does.yet we dont sign him because of a draft pick and our payroll standing at close to 90 million,even though we are only paying around 70 of it.

what i dont want the mets to do is sign a team all in one year based on whats available that year.adding players gradually over the next cpl years to mix mlb provens in with our young guys is a good plan.and we can start with bourn.

only thing i wanna know is since when is 29 old? ive heard that arguement with bourn.29 your still in your prime. 4 year deal.other outfielders ,like beltran,are 37 and still doing it so......

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • Oldfan

I think Pence and Choo would be good fits. It would be great if the Mets could get one for 3 years. Much better than signing Ross this year.

Hart would be OK, but road numbers aren't great and may not translate well to Citi. I've seen Morse play quite a bit and although a real good hitter, I remember him a lot of HRs to right-center. That won't play as well in the Mo Zone. His approach seems to be the same as the old DW.

Ellsbury seems to be on the dl often.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • CHOOin2014

We could, theoretically, construct an extremely competitive outfield next season, simply via FA, without having to trade any of our prospects and reserving them to trade for and fill other glaring holes...

1. RF Shin-Soo Choo (30 yrs old): 3-yr, $42M contract w/4th year club option @ $15M or $3M buyout
2. LF Michael Morse (30 yrs old): 3-yr, $42M contract w/4th year club option @ $15M or $3M buyout
3. CF Jacoby Ellsbury (29 yrs old): 4-yr, $60M contract w/5th year player option that vests with 600 PAs in 2017 season @$18M

Giving us a lineup that looks like the following:

1. Ellsbury CF
2. Murphy 2B
3. Wright 3B
4. Davis 1B
5. Morse LF
6. Choo RF
7. d'Arnaud C
8. Tejada 2B
9. Niese/Harvey/Wheeler/Syndergaard/Gee

Choo, Morse and Ellsbury would add $43M to a projected 2014 payroll of $44M leaving $13-25M ($100-110M) to spend elsewhere depending on how "competitive" the Wilpons get.

And we would still have Flores, Familia, Mejia, Nimmo, den Dekker, Fulmer, Cecchino, etc along with the above named pitchers to trade away for another impact player if the need arises...

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • skorpio520

ellsbury-hurt too much.no thanks.

choo-not quite sure what your fascination with this guy is but i would rather have hunter pence.

morse-not a bad pick up at all depending on what he wants.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • CHOOin2014

That's what they said about Reyes until he won the dang BATTING TITLE and played 160+ games last season.

Jacoby is still young and only ONE year removed from a historic season of .321/.376/.552, +146, 32 HR, 35 SB. He's still young enough to overcome his early injuries...

Let's see...Choo vs. Pence

Career

Choo - .289/.381/.465, +132, accumulated 19.9 WAR w/an average 3.76 WAR last 5 seasons

Pence - .285/.339./.475, +117, accumulated 8.0 WAR w/an average 0.72 WAR LAST 5 seasons (-0.5 WAR last 2 seasons, which explains why Astros, Phillies and Giants GMs keep trading him)

So just to recap...

Choo has a career .381 OBP. Pence? .339. Choo averages +3.76 WAR. Pence? Barely contributing POSITIVELY @ 0.72 WAR.

Anything else?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

I agree with you, I want both Choo and Ellsbury.

I can live with a platoon in one of the OF spots if need be, like Hairston and Duda... Even though I can't stand Duda.

I think Ellsbury would be a great pick up honestly, and he isn't going to demand the sun the moon and the stars.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • CHOOin2014

Totally concur.

If Dud a produces (25 HRs, though that would really suprise me), then Morse becomes moot and we have another $15M to spend elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I don't see the Yankees, after being so criticized by their fan base and media for not spending, letting Hairston get away..

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • skorpio520

reyes has had one year,in the warm sun of florida,where he wasnt hurt.i wanna see him play another year on torontos domed field before im gonna call him recovered.
still say no to ellsbury. if he stays healthy this year ill re think it.but let him stay healthy first.

ok,fine,youve proven to me choo is a better player than pence.now pass on both players and look to the next option.
still not getting what your fascination is with dude though.ah well, we all have one.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • CHOOin2014

Fair enough. Jose has to prove he's wised up and has tempered his playing style to remain healthy over the course of a 162 game schedule.

Ellsbury recent injury history could play to our advantage, the market naturally lowering his demands a bit.

I like Choo because he's a very underrated baseball player that can win you 3-5 games (4 WAR) by himself. There are only a dozen or two players who can boast that. Plus, I'm a stats, OBP/OPS guy and he fits that exact Moneyball-model. Hopefully, Sandy sees it too...

Edited 12/19/12   by  CHOOin2014
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • jsmet
The only 2 on the list I would take are Corey Hart and. Nelson Cruz.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • CHOOin2014

I would take Hart over Pence. Not Choo, though.

Hart - .331 OBP, 2.1 WAR last 5 seasons
Cruz - .328 OBP, 1.7 WAR last 5 seasons (will be 33 next season)

Edited 12/19/12   by  CHOOin2014
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • metsreef

Syndergaard wont be in the 2014 rotation. Maybe 2015 but even thats pushing it. I definitly like Choo, but Ellsbury has to prove he can stay healthy and not continue down the same path as G Sizemore. Id really prefer us trading for outfielders who are young and under team control. We have a minor league system who could bring back a talented outfield. Rather than sign 3 outfielders and add 50 milliom to payroll we could aquire guys like; Viciedo, Brentz, Borjous, Heisey, Peguero, Pollock...pr try tp go big after a Marte, Fowler, Trumbo, Garcia

All young, all RH and a real outfielders

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • CHOOin2014

Everyone would prefer, young and controlled talents. But that's not the reality anymore. Teams are locking down their players at an earlier age and rarely reaches FA before the age of 30. Look at the list. Ellsbury is the only one under the age of 30.

I would rather keep our prospects, let them develop and trade them for an IMPACT starting pitcher and fortify our rotation further.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • metsreef
Im not suggesting we go load up in trades but aquring a legitimate major league outfielder via trade is absolutely achievable. There are teams who have needs who have a surplus of outfielders. Angels, RedSox, DBacks, Rockies, Royals, Pirates, Brewers, Tigers, A's all have Rh hitting outfielders that would be improvements. You trade for a cf this year maybe a lf as well and sign Choo next off season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • CHOOin2014
I understand your point, and it makes sense but I put importance on pitching. To score an ace like pitcher, we're going to have to deal multiple top-prospects to get it done. By using them to acquire a young star OF'r, we'd be diluting our trade assets pool.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • metsreef
Pitching is vital i agree but We have Niese, Harvey, Wheeler pitching is already a position of strength...we have a minor league outfield with not much help coming
  • Reply to this Message