• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Can the Mets win the World Series in 2016?
  • To:All
  • 12/18/12
  • met383

I think we won this trade with Toronto.

We traded away a 38 year old whose arm is about to explode into a million pieces. Sell high bro.

On the other hand, we get a future Mike Piazza in Travis D'Arnaud and a future Justin Verlander in Noah Syndergaard (a couple of potential hall of famers).

With guys like Harvey and Wheeler on the rise, we have 3 legit aces. They should be ready to bolt this team into playoff contention in 2015. In 2016, I think we can win it all if we add a couple of more pieces.

What do you think?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • murphstates
I think equating them to the greatest offensive catcher in baseball history and the best pitcher in baseball may be a wee bit premature.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • met383

Travis D'Arnaud is projected to be Mike Piazza. Nothing wrong with stating the obvious.

There's a reason why Syndergaard's nickname is Synderlander. He's got the stuff.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • murphstates
No, no one has ever projected d'Arnaud as Mike Piazza and Snydergaard has never thrown a pitch above A ball.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • Melo15nym

Look, I love this trade, but can we stop labeling them as potential hall of famers and comparing them to other great players.

It's just stupid.

Edited 12/18/12   by  Melo15nym
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • murphstates
I love the trade too, but this is getting ridiculous. The scouting reports on d'Arnaud are all solid, but I've never seen anything that even projects him as a 30+ HR player, let alone Mike Piazza.

Edited 12/18/12   by  murphstates
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546815.7 was deleted
  • 12/18/12
  • Melo15nym
He will never ever be the hitter Piazza was. His ceiling is most likey a RH version of McCann. Maybe a tad better.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • met383

Just wait...he'll prove you all wrong.

He hit 16 home in 67 games last season. The season before, he had 21 home runs in 114 games.

That's 37 home runs in his last 181 games.

• Reply to this Message
Message 546815.10 was deleted
  • 12/18/12
  • Melo15nym
What are you talking about that he'll prove me wrong? I'm not denying that he has potential, I'm saying that why do we always have to compare him to some hall of famer? It's just as stupid saying he will be bust.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • met383

Yes. Syndergaard has nothing pitched about A ball.

He's only 20 years old and he'll be in AA already.

Verlander never reached the majors full time until he was 23 years old.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • Melo15nym
Thanks for telling me something new.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546815.14 was deleted
  • 12/18/12
  • met383
Why are you comparing D'Arnaud to McCann. McCann's career high in home runs is 24. Do you really think he can't match that?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • met383

The Mets offered RA Dickey a contract extension at the retirement age of 38.

They proved that money will be spent!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • Melo15nym
I'm not comparing him to McCann, I'm saying that is probably his ceiling offensively.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546815.18 was deleted
  • 12/18/12
  • murphstates

Good God. Justin Verlander was drafted out of college. He made his minor league debut at 22 and pitched in the major leagues the same year. He went from A+ to the major leagues in the same season and only threw 118 minor league innings.

When Mike Piazza was the same age as d"Arnaud is now he hit .318 with 35 HRs and 112 RBIs IN THE MAJOR LEAGUES.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • met383

Nope. When D'Arnaud begins the season with the Mets in April, his career will have begun before Piazza began his major league career. So your point is invalid.

Whether Verlander went to college or not, doesn't matter. Syndergaard at 20 years old in AA is well ahead in his progress. He's slated to be in the majors by 22.

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Brian McCann
Latest by Bwaah - 12:07 PM
Knock Collins all you want!
Latest by elguapo111 - 12:05 PM
Since those first 3 games...
Latest by thagreat1 - 12:03 PM
Chris Young batting .200, anyone surprised?
Latest by elguapo111 - 12:03 PM
Oh, and BTW.. Davis is 0-9 and at .227
Latest by panthernet - 12:03 PM
Minor League Baseball
Latest by miracl3met - 12:00 PM
Beautiful play!
Latest by AdrianMonk - 11:59 AM
Musician Name Game
Latest by jereviens - 11:54 AM
It's a shame we passed on Abreu and Cruz...
Latest by ucpatoi - 11:53 AM
Three Funniest Posters
Latest by jereviens - 11:43 AM