• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• WARNING--THIS IS MY PERSONAL 'DICKEY' RANT!!!
  • To:All
  • 12/17/12
  • metsfanforlife

To those of you who question my 'fanhood', while you 'fans' don't understand how I can't understand how a certain majority of you are okay with us letting the best pitcher in baseball walk out the door when he barely asked for what was fair financially and produced one of the best seasons in MLB history. How many one-hitters? How many ridiculous innings in a row did the opponent not score a single run??? HOW DO NORMAL PEOPLE reward that kind of behavior? A CY Young winner on a young team trying to find their way? What are you showing the other players in the league? That you're not serious about winning RIGHT NOW??!!! That is a defeatist, pathetic attitude.

I wish that Doubleday could buy back 51% of this 'mess/mets' and return us to respectable. These young 'prospects' we obtained could rightfully become 'all-stars', but it's never a guarantee. Dickey is the best 'guarantee' in the league, so giving your only sure 'guarantee' away is considered by me to be totally RIDICULOUS!!!

PLEASE DO NOT BASH THIS POST. BY DOING SO, YOU GIVE IT CREDENCE AND IT WILL KEEP THE POST ALIVE.

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • nymets0217

We question your sanity more than your "fanhood".

Stop rooting with your heart and start rooting with your head.

Steal of the decade for the Mets.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • frozensoda
I have many of the same feelings as you and was adamantly opposed to trading Dickey. I hear you loud & clear!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • danthemetfan
Dickey did not walk out the door, he was traded for some good players. I'll speak for myself, but I would doubt my sentiment is purely my own. In theory I was against trading Dickey. I feel as you did, he has been so good, and seems to be getting better. I was disappointed to read about it on Friday, but when the deal seemed imminent over the weekend and the deal was upgraded to what the final trade turned out to be, I could not deny that this is in the best interest for the Mets. I will miss Dickey, but more importantly, I am excited to see D'Arnaud play. This team was not going to compete this year, with or without Dickey. Also, even with Dickey, I was not really excited for baseball. Even though only Buck will be on the Mets opening day roster from this trade, I am more excited about Mets baseball than I was last week. This was a good move, a baseball move, not a money move, and the upside could be a HUGE steal for the mets in the coming years.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • metfan444
Anyone who attacks this deal is crazy. Below average team trades 38 year old pitcher for 2 studs....I'll make that deal any day.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • jgrangers2
The idea that you constantly have to be in "win now" mode is absurd. This team has too many holes and too few resources to try and patch a team together for the next year or two. We spent a decade trying the win now approach and you know what that got us? One good year and a whole lot of disappointment. And yet, for some reason, people on here want to keep trying that. I think you guys need to join us in reality. The Wilpons aren't going anywhere and the team isn't spending boat loads of money in the near future. So instead of holding onto a guy like Dickey you trade him for prospects that can help turn you into a perennial contender in a few years. As I said, not everything can be about winning "RIGHT NOW". The Mets have done that for a decade and it has led to an endless cycle of disappointment. At some point, you're best off taking a step back and gearing up to build a foundation for the future rather than try to plug up holes in the team with scotch tape and bubble gum.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • calimets14
I wasn't for him being traded until I saw the haul we got in return.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • NotAloserWIMPfan
You sir are an idiot. Its people like you that make Mets fans look stupid.

Edited 12/17/12   by  NotAloserWIMPfan
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • metsfanforlife

I hear your 'points', but I don't compare keeping Dickey for minimal money with trying to buy an older player from a different team...like the 'Bay' debacle a win 'RIGHT NOW' attitude...I just think it's common sense and if we happen to win 'RIGHT NOW' by accident because you created some chemistry and something special happened, then 'SO BE IT'!!!

I believe that if you are in the presence of a winner, then leave good enough alone.

What's wrong with you people?!!!

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • longforseaverkoosmandays

"Buy Low, Sell High"

If the Mets brass didn't make this trade, they would have been doing us a great disservice. The Mets have limited opportunities to stockpile high-end elite prospects. This was one of those rare opportunities. If the Mets are out of contention by July, and Johan is on a roll, then we need to trade him for an elite outfied prospect who projects to be ready by 2014/15.

We all have to be willing to treat 2013 as a rebuilding year. If the fans can hold off until 2015, we can field a potentially dominant young team and even have some cash left over to add a free agent OF and closer.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • metsfanforlife
blah, blah, blah...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • badfoamy
I fully understand the move as a baseball/business decision, but I'm sad to see him go. He is someone you can root for and I was proud to have him on the team I support. Eloquent and intelligent, he never gave the cliche answers that every other athlete gives. He was the only reason to watch the Mets this year and that will be especially evident next year. I wish him nothing but the best in baseball and in life.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • metsfanforlife

Wow, that was eloquent!

Dickey is a class act. How you can justify parting ways with people like him, I'll never understand.

Did management know that he's got a three speed knuckle-ball? (and opponents don't score on him for games at a time...literally!

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • jgrangers2

<I hear your 'points', but I don't compare keeping Dickey for minimal money with trying to buy an older player from a different team...like the 'Bay' debacle a win 'RIGHT NOW' attitude...I just think it's common sense and if we happen to win 'RIGHT NOW' by accident because you created some chemistry and something special happened, then 'SO BE IT'!!!>

The fact that you had to use the words "something special happened" tells me you don't think we'll be competitive next year. Keeping a guy like Dickey on the off chance that "something special happens" is ridiculous, especially when you can trade him for two very good prospects.

<I believe that if you are in the presence of a winner, then leave good enough alone.>

We won 74 games last year with Dickey being pretty much as good as you could ever expect him to be. Again, constantly worrying about right now gets you into trouble unless you have the ability to just outspend everybody else.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • NotAloserWIMPfan
Stop pretending your a mets fan with your cliche "LETS GOT METS". Seriously, it makes you look like a delusional idiot.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

'I believe that if you are in the presence of a winner, then leave good enough alone.'

Where was the winning, exactly? All I can see is a team that won 74 games.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • jgrangers2

<We all have to be willing to treat 2013 as a rebuilding year.>

Exactly. The problem is too many people on here are petrified of the idea of not trying to win now because there's always the off chance that everything can break just right and we can compete.

• Reply to this Message
Message 546708.18 was deleted
  • 12/18/12
  • metsfanforlife

He was 20-6....I'm not calling him a saviour....just a winner!!!

LETS GO METS!!!
(not delusional)

• Reply to this Message
Message 546708.20 was deleted
Recent Discussions
JSAngel: Trout a Fraud
Latest by jsmet - 7:23 AM
Musician Name Game
Latest by jereviens - 7:20 AM
Music Thread II
Latest by jereviens - 7:15 AM
Baseball Name Game