• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Same thing we said when we got Keith Hernandez...
  • To:All
  • 12/17/12
  • mookie009
You older fans might be familiar with the quote of Ed Lynch after the Mets pulled off their last fleecing of a team in a trade. He said to Neil Allen and Rick Ownbey who went to the Cards for Keith Hernandez,.."Hey guys I hate to see you go but.....(he was basically saying wow, how did we get him back for this craapp. Granted Dickey is great and might be great for a few more years, but you gotta love this trade. I have been the first one to bash Sandy, but I give him major props on this one. A great catching prospect, a potentially really good starter and a chance international out. who might turn into a poss. 20/20 guy? I would have taken a baked potato with cheese for Nickeas and Thole just never made progress. Sandy, now just get us a decent bullpen arm and a halfway decent platoon player who hits rh to split time with Baxter and I am happy. Once again, kudos Sandy.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • johnyringo

We traded the best pitcher in BB in his prime for a possition player who's a backup on just about every team.

Edited 12/17/12   by  johnyringo
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • mookie009
Seriously, Dickey is not in his prime. He could easily fall off. Even if he wins 12-15 games for the next two years we win. This C could be our future. Have to be realistic about what we could get. Best C prospect in baseball and some other useful pieces for Dickey, and Tweedle dee and tweedle dumb. This is a no brainer, winner-Mets. Have you seen Thole and Nickeas in action? They suucckkk.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • johnyringo

Nah...he's in his prime....I expect him to remain extremely dominate for 3-4 year, (which should be long enought to fit into the plan for the "future")....he will be serviceable for at east 6-7

And course their is always the all important intangibles.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • _BigNick
Still can't tell if you're joking.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • nextyearm
get a clue.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • mookie009
If Dickey is still pitching in 7 years I will make a bile shake and drink it. He's good, but in the AL they will let him pitch even more innings because they don't have to pinch hit for him which will hurt him in the long run. Plus, he throws is knuckler harder than all those other knucklers that lasted a long time.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • johnyringo
Acquire a hint
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • johnyringo

Throwing the hardest knuckle ball is like being the tallest midget in the band.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • mookie009
Dickey has way more going for him than baseball and I am sure he has other life plans that he wants to achieve other than playing another 7 years of baseball.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • johnyringo
I'm not so sure about that....he's broke thought not to long ago, he is still hungry.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546687.12 was deleted
  • 12/17/12
  • johnyringo

Yeah sure verlander could win 20 on the 2012 mets...okay

Hahaha like thats even possible for a mortal man....

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • nextyearm

"We traded the best pitcher in BB in his prime for a possition player who's a backup on just about every team."

You truly believe john buck was the centerpeice for this trade?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • johnyringo
How many teams would TDA start for next year?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • nextyearm
this trade is NOT about what TDA does next year, this is about acquiring the TOP catching prospect in all of baseball and a potential all-star for the future. Its about building the new long term core, not putting bandaids on a 74 win team with the cy young award winner on it. its also about acquiring a potential top of the rotation pitcher. Sandys trying to stay competitive, but more than anything he's trying to build a long term year in year out contender.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • met_man99

Let. It. Go. The Mets just made one of the boldest moves in recent memory...trading an incumbent CY for a major league ready stud catcher and an ace in the making...AND THEY TOOK THOLE AND NICKEAS!!!! I would have traded RA straight up for John Buck if it meant Thole and Nickeas were extradited to Canada.

Face it: A personal attachment to the legend that is RA Dickey is pushing any rational feeling you have on this BRILLIANT coup by the Mets. This deal is a slam dunk for the Mets, Blue Jays, but most of all for RA.

The Mets FINALLY admit that they're rebuilding. They traded a player whose value skyrocketed higher than anyone anticipated. RA arguably went from the most underrated pitcher in baseball in 2010 and 2011 to one of the most recognizable faces in the game, nearly overnight.

If we love RA so much, we have to let him go. He's not getting any younger. He has a limited window to win, and wake up, it's not happening in Queens right now. RA's rise as a Met has been one of the few bright spots in recent memory, but honestly, we've probably seen the best of him. He's ended his Mets tenure on a perfect note, notching the ultimate pitching achievement. Maybe a ring is on its way too. You are free to watch him embarrass the Yankees anytime, you know.

It's an epic and extraordinary baseball trade. Get over it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • johnyringo

Fine but the guy just won the CY and you guys act like he's a broken down old mule who has one foot out of BB.....it's just silly.

RA is a BEAST end of story see 2012 (last year)....we'll see exactly when that changes....hes got lots left.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • murphstates
I like the trade, but Hernandez was an established star and former MVP. It may turn out to be a fleecing of Toronto, but it isn't yet.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • nymets0217
The best pitcher in baseball? Are you on glue? We traded a pitcher that finally had a great year after being in the majors for 20 years wallowing in mediocrity. We made a great trade. Next year he'll be lucky to win 12 games.
  • Reply to this Message