• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Payroll
  • To:All
  • 12/17/12
  • alfolerud
I can't hate on the Mets at this point becuase I am very happy with the trade. But payroll is probably around $75mm now. We should sign Bourn, get it up to around $90mm.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 4545_ajd

"We should sign Bourn, get it up to around $90mm. "

He would cost us our 1st pick in next year's draft which is 11th overall.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • alfolerud
Isn't that pick protected? Wouldn't the Braves just get a supplemental pick? I don't even think we'd actually lose a pick.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 4545_ajd
No only top 10 are protected, Braves would get a supplemental pick according to the new CBA and everyone else would move up 1.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • murphstates
According to Rubin on Friday the Mets are still counting Bay's full $21 million against the 2013 payroll even though he deferred $15 million.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • skorpio520
omg! ppl keep saying that. so youd rather lose a potentially higher pick in 2014 for a guy like ellsbury or a scrub like gomez? than an 11th pick on bourne?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 4545_ajd

"omg! ppl keep saying that. so youd rather lose a potentially higher pick in 2014 for a guy like ellsbury or a scrub like gomez? than an 11th pick on bourne? "

Potentially higher? 11th is the highest possible pick a team could lose.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • skorpio520
what picks are protected?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • skorpio520
someone said it was the top 3.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 4545_ajd
Picks 1-10 are protected. Mets actually got scr-wed since they would have had the 10th pick if the Pirates signed Apell last year, but since Pirates didn't sign him they get a compensation pick and everyone gets bumped down one.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • skorpio520

nevermind you just answered that for someone else. ok,my bad.
disregard losing higher pick comment.

but still i think bournes worth a look. i mean who else is available? ellsbury,good player,always hurt.gomez? please no. who?

even if it does cost us a pick.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • Robert

Knowing the Wilpons they will count this salary this year and the years it was deferred even though they are paying it once.

How can one count this money in the budget if they are not actually spending it>?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 4545_ajd
I would try to work out a trade for Soriano, Willingham or Bourne, would cost us less than what that pick is probably worth then sign Ross
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • skorpio520

idk.would be kind of cool if by some chance austin meadows,or clint frazier was still available at the no11 spot but at the same token thats a five/six years from now team.

soriano,depending on what wed have to give up and how much is being paid.williamham,nah we already got duda.i dont want another one.
but still doesnt solve the most pressing question,whos leading off? tejada? nah dude.we need a REAL lead off hitter.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • skorpio520
also i have to ask,the mets have a habit of not signing their draft picks .what good is the 11th pick and drafting a good future player,only to give him back?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 4545_ajd

"also i have to ask,the mets have a habit of not signing their draft picks .what good is the 11th pick and drafting a good future player,only to give him back?

1st and 2nd round draft picks aren't forfeited if you don't sign them, if the Mets don't sign the 11th pick this year they get the 12th pick next year.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • skorpio520

again,hafta ask...12 pick= excuse not to sign anyone next year either?

see what i mean? its a circle bro. fine ,lets not sign burne,for fear of losing out on the 11th pick,then not sign the pick and get the 12th pick.oops,cant sign anyone this year either,cant lose that 12th pick. etc,etc...

its bogus.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 4545_ajd
12th pick next year would be a compensation pick, you can't lose a compensation pick due to signing a free agent.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • skorpio520

lol how do you understand how all that sh!t works?

ok,i can c your point on waiting.but i still think a player that will be good for the next 4-5 years will better than a players that will be good 5 -6 years from now.after all the losing seasons weve been through,i just dont wanna wait another 4 years until we are good again.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • johnyringo
Sandy traded away our future...Dickey is going to be great for years to come
  • Reply to this Message