• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Wilponzis Are Killing Me
  • To:All
  • 12/15/12
  • haprecap

If the Mets trade Dickey, put them down for 95-100 losses and last place in 2013. Attendance at Citi Field won't match this past season's 2.2 million.

The Wilpons apparently have too much pride to admit how much their loss to Madoff hurt the team's ability to pay for the many players they so badly need.

I have been a die-hard Mets fan since their inception, when I was nine years old. The next few seasons are going to be difficult to watch. I know David Wright is making big bucks, but I feel for him, as he will likely spend the rest of his career with a bad organization and last place finishes.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • joemets22
They won't be 95-100 losses bad, but they aren't going to compete next year. If the Wilpons actually wanted to win and were willing to spend, we wouldn't have to trade a Cy Young award winner to fill other holes.

Edited 12/15/12   by  joemets22
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • DFAB
I'm probably the leader of the anti wilpon brigade on here, or at least have an executive seat in the matter...but it is clear that the Mets want to trade him to fill in multiple holes. There is no way they would go into the season with him not traded or extended.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • murphstates

I am also a huge anti-Wilpon Mets fan, I think they're quasi-criminals and morally bankrupt, but I support trading Dickey to fill holes. The problem is without an outfielder coming back it doesn't fill multiple holes.

I also understand the OP's point. We needed to go all in on a rebuild or try to piece together a competitive team through free agency and selective trades. We did neither again and went the half in route.

The pieces were available this winter to put a solid team on the field if they were willing or able to spend. Now, it's too late.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • 4545_ajd
What pieces were those?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • murphstates
Did you miss the free agent outfielders who signed with other teams?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • 4545_ajd
Who Pagan Victorino? I would rather have Bourne than either of those 2.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • murphstates
I said if they were willing/able to spend money. Hamilton, Upton, Bourn, Swisher, Young, et al would all be or have been huge upgrades.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • ManWithNoName
Plan has always been to spend post-2013. This trade fits in with that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • JoseJose
"Plan"? What plan? When was it officially stated the "plan" is to spend post 2013? The "plan" is to keep Fred as owner, despite the fact he neither deserves it or can afford it. This is why Spindy does not improve the team on the field, ever.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • ManWithNoName
" despite the fact he neither deserves it or can afford it. "
Seems he can, given that he's the owner right now. So yeah.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • JoseJose
Yes and this owner has been doing such a great job, right? Common knowledge says he has run this team into the ground and for some reason gets the Commish blessing who plants his guy to be GM here to sping things. Probably the worst owner in all of sports, so bad he is trying to have a small market tean in the economic capital of the universe. So, once again, the facts are he neither deserves to, or can afford to, be a mlb owner. Only corruption and his lying has him at the helm.

Edited 12/15/12   by  JoseJose
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • mets13385

Free agent market looks pretty thin for an outfielder in 2014. Who are they going to spend money on? If we're lucky... Jason Bay could be available.

Left fielders

Jason Bay (35)
Reed Johnson (37) - $1.6MM club option with a $150K buyout
Jason Kubel (32) - $7.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Nate McLouth (32)
Mike Morse (32)
David Murphy (32)
Xavier Nady (35)
Laynce Nix (33)
Martin Prado (30)
Ryan Raburn (33)

Center fielders

Coco Crisp (34) - $7.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Rajai Davis (33)
Jacoby Ellsbury (30)
Carlos Gomez (28)
Curtis Granderson (33)
Franklin Gutierrez (31) - $7.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Tony Gwynn Jr. (31)
Andres Torres (36)
Chris Young (30) - $11MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout

Right fielders

Carlos Beltran (37)
Shin-Soo Choo (31)
Nelson Cruz (33)
David DeJesus (34) - $6.5MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout
Chris Denorfia (33)
Jeff Francoeur (30)
Corey Hart (32)
Xavier Nady (35)
Hunter Pence (31)
Jason Repko (33)
Ichiro Suzuki (40)

• Reply to this Message
Messages 546413.14 through 546413.15 were deleted
  • 12/15/12
  • yard24
Well, maybe not. figure it's 10 games, right? Perhaps they can make up 10 games if they get a bullpen and some hitting?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • mets13385
sweeeeet! Give him another shot and maybe he'll hit 4 homers this time around.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • ManWithNoName
"Yes and this owner has been doing such a great job, right?"
I don't know what affording the team has to do with having it excel. Look around MLB. Pick a point to argue.

" Common knowledge says he has run this team into the ground and for some reason gets the Commish blessing who plants his guy to be GM here to sping things."
You would have to remove him for something other than baseball decisions, so not wrong moves. Even if he can afford the team long-term, and apparently he has shown that, especially with the trial over, MLB can't remove him.

" Probably the worst owner in all of sports"
No. When there's teams taking revenue sharing money and spending it on something other than their baseball team, or making moves for the purpose of receiving more revenue sharing, he can not be the worst, and we're just talking baseball.

"or can afford to, be a mlb owner. "
Then how is he affording it right now, especially with the percentage he owns versus other MLB owners?

"Only corruption and his lying has him at the helm. "
I'm looking at the numbers right now. Over the last five years the Mets rank 5th in payroll spent per year on average, and are ~37M+ above the average spent. Something called us the "Royals" when over the last five years we've spent over double their payroll on average. Spending, according to all reports, is expected to resume post-2013. The trade fits in with that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • ManWithNoName
Ellsbury, Gomez, Granderson, Choo? Spending doesn't just mean FA spending. It could also mean a trade and an extension, or simply a trade and payment.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/15/12
  • ManWithNoName
He's not being forcefully removed, and I don't mind a new owner, but if we were to get one you would have hoped for it now, considering you usually expect a transition and we weren't expected to spend this offseason but next instead.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
JSAngel: Trout a Fraud
Latest by jsmet - 7:23 AM
Musician Name Game
Latest by jereviens - 7:20 AM
Music Thread II
Latest by jereviens - 7:15 AM
Baseball Name Game
Latest by jereviens - 7:11 AM
Wilmer Flores with 7 RBI already
Latest by jsmet - 7:11 AM