Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• The sliming of R.A. Dickey
  • To:All
  • 12/13/12
  • murphstates

'Too Absorbed with His New Celebrity': The sliming of R.A. Dickey

By Howard Megdal

10:45 am Dec. 12, 2012

The New York Mets held a holiday party for 100 local children on Tuesday, and it somehow turned into a public-relations crisis.

It's happened before, of course: Perhaps you remember the saga of Anna Benson, whose low-cut Mrs. Claus outfit at the Mets' holiday gathering back in 2005 reportedly led to the trade of her husband Kris shortly thereafter.

This is different, though. It concerns R.A. Dickey, the reigning National League Cy Young Award winner who is well-liked by the fans and the media, and who attended Tuesday's holiday party at Citi Field dressed as an elf.

After Dickey called out the Mets for an incredibly low contract offer, the team decided to revisit the playbook they used with Anna Benson, and with various players they've disagreed with in recent years; they attacked.

From today's Post:

"The Mets, meanwhile, have mounting concerns whether all of Dickey’s off-the-field endeavors could impact his on-field results or his standing in the clubhouse if the perception is that he has become too absorbed with his new celebrity.

The Mets already were annoyed, The Post has learned, Dickey last week turned down a personal appearance request from owner Fred Wilpon."

Here's Dickey, meanwhile: "In the context of the market, you want what you think is fair. I feel like we're asking for less than what's fair because that's how it's been for me. There is a surprise sometimes when things don't get done quickly and you already think you're extending the olive branch. At the same time, they have a budget they have to adhere to. I don't know those numbers. And I try not to take it personally."

That must be hard, when your team's management is suggesting anonymously, and on the basis of no apparent real-life evidence, that your ego is having an impact on your ability to play well and be a good teammate.

Perhaps the "distractions" the team sources are referring to are that book event at Citi Field that the Mets hosted, charged admission for, and offered at a discount as a season ticket holder perk; or Dickey's work with the Citi Field Kids program.

Or maybe they're also referring to the book itself, the adventure at Mt. Kilimajaro and Dickey's numerous other charitable endeavors.

The resulting lack of focus on the field in 2012 led to... the first 20-win season by a Mets pitcher since 1990 and the first Cy Young Award since 1985.

If only Victor Zambrano had been similarly unfocused.

The Mets have every right to lowball Dickey, as shortsighted as it may be to engage in a public spat with one of the team's most popular players when ticket sales are awful and the player is asking for less than market rate. But to then be surprised that the guy you're trying to avoid paying market rate doesn't want to do you a favor?

It's about as logical as asking that guy to be a public spokesperson at your event, and expecting he won't answer forthrightly about the state of his contract talks.

The Mets are supposedly busy engaging in trade talks for Dickey, who has one year and $5 million remaining on his contract. They are attempting to simultaneously lowball Dickey, indicating a willingness to improve a two-year, $14 million extension offer--or exactly what Joe Blanton, off of his E.R.A.+ season of 84, just received--to a three-year, $25 million total package, which is exactly what Jeremy Guthrie just received off of his 94 E.R.A.+ season.

For those keeping score at home, Dickey's E.R.A.+ last season, in more innings than either Blanton or Guthrie, was 140. Over the past three years, it has been 129, in case you thought he was a one-year wonder.

But the Mets aren't conducting business in a bubble. The teams they are talking to? They see how little the Mets are willing to commit to Dickey. And Dickey? He sees how much the Mets are demanding from other teams.

And while the Mets may believe they hold all the leverage, with the option of simply letting Dickey pitch in 2013 for $5 million is no option at all for the team. Sandy Alderson acknowledging the possibility that the 2013 roster won't look much different than the 2012 roster. That would be the same roster that won 74 games last year, that Alderson described as needing major changes way back on ... December 2, a roster that as of today, lacks a viable starting major league outfielder, catcher, and more than a skeletal bullpen.

Having Dickey in 2013 won't be useful. Dickey, or what he gets the Mets in a trade, should be hugely useful to the team in 2014 and beyond.

Dickey can eliminate any leverage the Mets think they have by ending this dance tomorrow, playing out his option year and reaching free agency next winter. Gone will be the team's ability to claim they might sign him, while teams can simply wait for next winter to acquire him for nothing but a draft pick.

And even that return might be beyond the Mets. It only comes about if the Mets make a qualifying offer next winter. This winter, a qualifying offer was for $13.3 million or, roughly what the Mets offered Dickey over two years. It's no guarantee the Mets will be willing to take the chance Dickey accepts it next winter, while some expect the qualifying offer to increase to $15 million next year.

If the Mets don't make that offer to Dickey, and he signs elsewhere, they won't get the draft picks they got when Jose Reyes left town. They'll let the fans down again. And they'll get nothing.

The Mets can still satisfactorily resolve this by increasing their offer to the still well-below market level Dickey is asking for: three years, $31 million, including 2013's ultra-bargain $5 million for the reigning Cy Young Award winner.

And if the fallout and subsequent unattributed character-sliming the Mets do so well leads to an unproductive divorce from Dickey, the Mets will have no one to blame but themselves.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/13/12
  • murphstates

Here's an interesting thing I just noticed today that has nothing to do with this article. From R.A.'s statement:

"At the same time, they have a budget they have to adhere to. I don't know those numbers. And I try not to take it personally."

"I don't know those numbers". I keep being told Sandy convinced R.A. and David Wright that his "plan" was solid and I can't say anything because I don't know what was discussed.

How much detail could R.A. have been given if he doesn't even know what the budget for this season is?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • melloca
RA Dickey is a class man and the way the Mets are treating RA is going to come back and haunt the Mets. If RA does get traded to Texas at least he will have a chance to go the Post Season while David Wright will be sitting at home watching.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • Bozack
Good article, but one error, it stated "they won't get the draft picks they got when Jose Reyes left town.", when in fact the Mets got no draft picks when Jose Reyes left town, because despite having a better team, the Marlins finished behind the Mets in 2011.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • murphstates
They did get compensation picks. It was under the old CBA and they didn't get the Marlins first rounder, they got their second round pick and a compensation sandwich pick.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • joemets22
I like Megdal, one of the few members of the media who will say what's on his mind, not what will get them in the Mets good graces. No doubt this is a setup for a smear campaign in case they trade him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • bbyjean616
I have little faith... but Im HOPING that smearing RA DICKEY will wake up the remaining hopefuls who will then finally stay home. To treat RA Dickey this way in the same formulated, calculated manner that they treated others is pushing it. Reyes, Pagan? Those stories were more believable at least but no one wants to lose faith in their "hero"
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • murphstates
The campaign started more than a week ago. Davidoff has had two articles in which he made snide references to Dickey as an attention seeker and referred to him as "chatty".
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • wrghtknght
I would hope the smear campaign is executed regardless. Just making sure, the smear campaign is against the Wilpons and the Mets' front office, right?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • 4545_ajd
Dickey is already paid for this season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • PrayedforBay

Where does this come from?

""The Mets, meanwhile, have mounting concerns whether all of Dickey’s off-the-field endeavors could impact his on-field results or his standing in the clubhouse if the perception is that he has become too absorbed with his new celebrity."

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • murphstates
And that has something to do with what?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • 4545_ajd
They got the 35th and 71st overall picks last year for Reyes, they selected Plawecki and Reynolds.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • 4545_ajd
Dickey talked about budget, you said how could he not know the budget for this year, why do you assume Dickey meant the budget for this season when the extension won't come into play until 2014 & 2015?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • PrayedforBay

You can be sold on a directional plan without having numbers. I can say, we are building our farm system with strong starting pitching and plan to be active is veteran player acquisition in a year or 2 to surround our newly formed pieces with.

It's not crazy to be sold on a plan. And even if he was told what future budgets may be, he has no idea how his pay factors into that because he only knows what he is asking for, not what everybody else is asking for. So, with that uncertainty, you can't even expect a GM to know exactly how much money will be left for who because those players aren't even here yet.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • PrayedforBay
Exactly.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • murphstates
Okay, my error. Must have been a real detailed explanation of the plan. One would think payroll in 2014 and 2015 would have been part of the discussion.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • 4545_ajd
The Wilpons don't even know what the payroll in 2014 will be, if they finish 68-94 and draw 2 million it will be a lot different than if they finish 88-74 and draw 3 million.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • murphstates
Right, so how exactly do you provide Wright and Dickey with a plan that convinces them the team is building a winner without having any idea what payroll will be moving forward?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/13/12
  • thebobymon

I didn't like when I read that Dickey used the charity event to soapbox his situation.

If he doesn't like the negotiation, leave the table and finish the contract.

The Mets have no reason to hurry, if anything the lack of interest should worry Dickey a little bit.

I think he will be signed, but he really should just let things happen and shut up.

• Reply to this Message