New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Is any one else confused
  • To:All
  • 12/12/12
  • Gepett0

By arizona's haul in all of this?

they trade one of the best prospects in baseball in bauer, a guy that ranks ahead of wheeler on most lists, plus 2 solid middle relievers for a shortstop prospect that has never cracked a top 100 list or a top 10 ss prospect list w/ very little power, little ability to hit for average, and minimal ability to steal a base; another solid middle reliever; and a failed former top prospect that fell off the radar over 2 years ago

I really don't get it ....unless there are serious concerns about bauer that other scouts just havent seen, I don't see how the diamondbacks got better in this trade at all....does anyone else see something that I don't? B/c I am seriously confused...

meanwhile, the indians made out like bandits....i don't want to hear any "dickey can't command a top prospect" talk after this....choo is a very solid player but has no where near as much value as dickey should have as there is no way hes resigning for less than a monster deal w/ boras as his agent

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • DFAB
yea really....NO ONE should be laughing at what we are asking for Dickey after this nonsense....theoretically, we should be able to get Profr and Olt from Texas right? That would be about as bad of a hosing Arizona and KC got.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • gomets66
towers supposedly loves that shortstop gregorius. thats why he got in deal. to get him. some gm's target specific players. some fans dont understand that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • DFAB
I understand that GM's like certain players, but at the cost of what was paid?? KC had a Shields fetish and pretty much gave up their entire farm for him. That same package if offered to Seattle, may have possibly gotten the talks started about Felix. Then, Bauer brings back pretty much a lesser form of Ruben Tejada....so can WE hose someone with Dickey please????
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • fargol

"so can WE hose someone with Dickey please???? "

Wouldn't that be nice!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • DFAB
I have a feeling that WE are going to get hosed by "settling" for a certain return....wouldn't be surprising since we are the Mets...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • Oldfan

<<"Then, Bauer brings back pretty much a lesser form of Ruben Tejada"

I don't really disagree, but a couple of things.

1. Would the Mets have traded Tejada for a prospect?

2. The GM apparently likes Gregarious a lot. He's suppose to be a great defensive SS, has a little pop and probably faster than Tejada. What if he turns out to be a Rey Ordonez-type, with a better bat?

3. I don't know much about the guy, but heard/read that he was born in Amsterdam-not exactly a baseball hotbed. At 22, maybe he has more room to grow than some other guys.

4. Yes, Bauer's highly rated by the mags, but he's also the D'backs 3rd rated starter. They dealt from a depth position to fill a need. Bauer was beginning to drop in the Arizona ranking.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • PrayedforBay
No, we get nothing because we are the New York Mets. We will never be the beneficiaries of dumb moves, we can only aspire not to be the ones making them. We've talked and talked so much about this stuff, I feel like the fans have a better grasp on how to run this team than ownership. Im guessing we dont get better this offseason, we can only hope that the team constructed as it is right now will collectively improve and take a step forward ( and hopefully without the subsequent proverbial 2 steps back).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • DFAB

1. For a guy like Bauer? Probably not since there wouldn't be a replacement for Tejada.

2. Idk...seems like a lot to give up for a "supposed to be/what if" type of guy.

If they were willing to deal Bauer, I just think they could have gotten something better....but oh well

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • Oldfan

Yeah, I was also surprised.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • beltrain15
The Mets have starting pitching depth as well, but the fans would be up in arms if Sandy traded Wheeler for some outfielder who he "likes" because we can get a guy like Justin Upton for Wheeler.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • fargol

"We will never be the beneficiaries of dumb moves,"

Except for Wheeler.

• Reply to this Message
Message 546206.13 was deleted
  • 12/12/12
  • Oldfan

IMO, its becoming obvious that Dickey doesn't have the trade value many on here seem to think.

Maybe Alderson gets a team to up the ante, maybe not.

If Texas is the lone pursuer, maybe it's in the Mets best to keep Dickey, sell some tickets when he pitches, and flip him at the break when more than one team will need pitching. If Dickey's first-half, next year, replicates his 2012 season, the Mets should be able to get a pretty good return.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • hammr1952
especially philips who after 2000 season said manny ramirez is not a fit for US!!!!!!
with our outfield of timo perez.... benny agbayani and jay payton.... OMG lol.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • Gepett0

dude, i don't care if he liked him...he traded the 5th best prospect overall for a haul w/ a centerpiece that isnt even ranked as a top 10 short stop prospect, let alone the top 100 overall

regardless of how much he "liked" him, it was the insanely stupid

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • gomets66

I think many on here are not used to a tough negotiator as GM.>>>>

i hope thats not the best we can say about this offseason on opening day with dickey on the mound and basically the same team on the field.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • Gepett0
I would trade ruben for bauer in a half a second...and i like tejada - and for the record, bauer projects to be the best pitcher both in arizonas system AND on their current roster....it was an idiotic trade
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • robrock30
Arizona soured on Bauer. He didn't pitch well when he was called up from the minors 6.06 ERA and he was immature and not listening to coaching. Arizona prefers Tyler Skaggs & Patrick Corbin.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • DFAB
I'll take that OF over the one we have now LOL
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
This just keeps getting better. lol
Latest by METCITILES - 12:00 PM
satisfied Mets fan
Latest by roywriter - 11:58 AM
Are we ahead of the curve?
Latest by metrebel - 11:58 AM
EYoung: One Incredible trend and one projection
Latest by stearnsy12 - 11:57 AM
fernando rodney
Latest by murphstates - 11:55 AM
Hitting better? Why?
Latest by sb51 - 11:55 AM
Favorite Easter Basket Candy
Latest by AdrianMonk - 11:54 AM
This Day In Sports History
Latest by hlandrith - 11:48 AM
We have a big-time Closer problem going forward (IMO)...
Latest by roywriter - 11:40 AM
Factoids Redux
Latest by thagreat1 - 11:33 AM