• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Niese is undervalued
  • To:All
  • 12/10/12
  • stearnsy12

i don't claim to know if Niese was offered anywhere for anyone but all i can say is if Haren and Greinke are making the money they're making and Shields and Wade Davis are bringing back THAT package of prospects Jon Niese is one undervalued pitcher

the guy pitched to a 2.57 ERA his last 10 games and finished with a 3.40 ERA and was wisely signed by Alderson to a very friendly deal that gives his team control for i believe another 4 years at a bargain price

a young lefty coming into his own signed at a bargain basement contract?

he's not Jerry Koosman but he's better than Haren and especially at that price

we don't get a premium prospect or two for him just hang on to him

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • CoBrA

its more like the opposite.

Niese plays in a big ballpark

Niese plays in the national league

In the last month of the season teams bring up their prospects and most are not very good so numbers against those players will make any pitcher look good

Niese doesn't strike out many batters

Niese has very hittable stuff

Niese playing against junk teams like the phillies who had everyone and their mother injured, the marlins who stink etc.

OVERRATED

Edited 12/10/12   by  CoBrA
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546118.3 was deleted
  • 12/10/12
  • stearnsy12
UNDERVALUED when taking into account his performance,his age,his contract,and the fact that he's a lefty especially when compared to the guys that are flying around making ridiculous money
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • CoBrA
I don't look at stuff like "young and lefty" because the same argument was made for Oliver Perez when we signed him and I had 90% of this board giving me grief about being against signing him. I ended up being right which I am most of the time just that most people on here hate when I am right.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • fargol

"Niese plays in a big ballpark"

Did you see my post where I stated Niese's ERA is HIGHER at home than AWAY?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • stearnsy12
that can't be,Cobra is ALWAYS right!!...he just told us so,lol
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • fargol

"that can't be,Cobra is ALWAYS right!!...he just told us so,lol "

LOL

So by his logic, pitchers should be standing in line to come play for the Mets in our fantastically pitcher-friendly park.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • stearnsy12

Niese pitched to a 3.40 ERA will be 26-27 and make 25 million over the next FIVE years meanwhile guys like Greinke who had a better year in some ways but not others will be making 25 million PER YEAR

this contract reminds me of Zito's contract when they were paying him for how he pitched YEARS before....they're paying Greinke for what he did in 2009

but nope,Niese isn't undervalued because he pitches in a big park

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • bbjmparis
Absolutely correct. Niese is very undervalued by fans here. Winning 13 games for the 2012 Mets is like winning 18 for a decent team. We have...no hitting. No defense, a horrible pen. None of that is good for pitchers. Yes, Citifield is a big park, but with guys like Duda stumbling around in the outfield, turning everything not hit right at him into a hit, and turning routine singles into doubles, the big park hurts. The pen hurts worse. How many one run leads did it protect? Niese is good, and getting better.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546118.11 was deleted
  • 12/10/12
  • alfolerud
You claim to not be a koolaider, but you tend to ignore many realities and focus only on the positive.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • PrayedforBay

"I don't look at stuff like "young and lefty" because the same argument was made for Oliver Perez when we signed him and I had 90% of this board giving me grief about being against signing him. I ended up being right which I am most of the time just that most people on here hate when I am right."

This comment makes no sense. Are you suggesting that a young left handed pitcher isn't a favorable thing for a team based on how Oliver Perez turned out?

If you have a solid young pitcher, thats worth a ton. Its not cheap to find quality pitching, so I don't know what you're talking about.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • CoBrA
King Felix > Niese
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • PrayedforBay
Huh?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • DFAB
Babe Ruth>Scott Hairston