• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Aiming for Wil
  • To:All
  • 12/4/12
  • wright75

"The Mets continue to aim high in their talks with the Royals, pushing for top prospect Wil Myers, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com. Rubin doesn't specify who would be going to the Royals in this hypothetical deal, but I assume it'd be either Dickey or fellow trade candidate Jonathon Niese."
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#wce3xoaylGRGsE0G.99

if they get him i will take back every bad thought i ever had about sandy

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • thebobymon

I'm too lazy to do it.

Why is everyone ga-ga over this guy Myers?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • msmetsies

Sandy will get his man. Myers will be a NY Met. I'm almost certain.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=p_pbp&pid=571976

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • cjct

6'3 205 21 years old right hand hitting and throwing OF

between AA & AAA (mostly AAA) last year he hit 37 HR's and 109 RBI's with a 314 AVG and 380 OBP.

He is major league ready and a very good athlete. He is a stud.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • wright75

1. Wil Myers, of Born: Dec 10, 1990 B-T: R-R Ht.: 6-3 Wt.: 205
Drafted: Wesleyan Christian Academy, High Point, N.C., 2009 (3rd round). Signed by: Steve Connelly
Background: For much of his career, Wil Myers' eventual position has been unclear. His destiny as an impact big leaguer has been much more certain. In high school, he had more success as a pitcher than as a hitter as a junior, and he would have been a two-way player had he followed through on his commitment to South Carolina. But after his $2 million asking price dropped him to the third round of the 2009 draft, the Royals met his price. Myers began his pro career as a catcher, but after splitting time with Salvador Perez at high Class A Wilmington in 2010, he agreed to move to right field. He added center field to his list of positions in 2012 and also dabbled with third base for 15 games. Myers made the decision to tweak his stance, setting up more upright and working on backspinning the ball for more carry. It paid off to the tune of 37 home runs, second most in the minors and 23 more than he had ever hit in a pro season. In the last 50 years, only one 21-year-old has hit more homers in a minor league season (Arlo Engel, with 41 in 1963). Myers joined Tom Gordon as the only Royals to win Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year award.

Scouting Report: Myers' outstanding raw power has been clear since he put on a show at Kauffman Stadium in a predraft workout. What makes him stand out is that he pairs his pop with an advanced approach at the plate and excellent hand-eye coordination. When he uses the opposite field and doesn't worry about hitting homers, he can post high batting averages and on-base percentages. His decision to try to hit for more power in 2012 meant that Myers took more aggressive swings in two-strike counts, resulting in a career-high 140 strikeouts. After struggling with chasing balls that were too far in on his hands to hit fair in 2011, he made adjustments to lay off those pitches while showing he could pull fastballs on the inner half for extra bases. Myers has fringy speed but is a heady baserunner. He fits best in right field, where he should become a solid defender. He responded well to the challenge of center field, but his lack of quickness limits him there. The Royals see him as an average center fielder in the short term, but scouts on other teams grade him as well below average. Though he's much more raw at third base, his plus arm and soft hands would allow him to stick there if the need arose. He possibly could develop into an average third baseman in time if he was allowed to work on the positon full-time.

The Future: Myers was ready to stay in Kansas City when he arrived for the midseason Futures Game. Since he wasn't yet on the 40-man roster and didn't need to be added to it this offseason, the Royals kept him in Triple-A for the full season. If the Royals end the offseason with Jeff Francoeur still on the roster, it won't be a surprise to see Myers start 2013 at Triple-A Omaha. That would allow him to work on cutting down his strikeouts and could help delay his arbitration and free-agent eligibility. Regardless, he'll be in the major leagues before long. He projects as an eventual No. 3 hitter in the lineup because of his batting eye and power potential.

Year Team AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG
'09 Burlington (R) 16 1 2 0 1 1 4 0 3 0 0 .125 .125 .438
'09 Idaho Falls (R) 68 18 29 7 1 4 14 9 15 2 0 .426 .488 .735
'10 Burlington (LoA) 242 42 70 19 1 10 45 48 55 10 3 .289 .408 .500
'10 Wilmington (HiA) 205 28 71 18 2 4 38 37 39 2 3 .346 .453 .512
'11 NW Arkansas (AA) 354 50 90 23 1 8 49 52 87 9 2 .254 .353 .393
'12 NW Arkansas (AA) 134 32 46 11 1 13 30 16 42 4 1 .343 .414 .731
'12 Omaha (AAA) 388 66 118 15 5 24 79 45 98 2 2 .304 .378 .554
Minor League Totals 1407 237 426 93 12 64 259 207 339 29 11 .303 .395 .522

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • thebobymon

Pacific coast league power though.

Or doesn't that count for him?

Not that he doesn't look good, but he is no guarantee, and if we are trading guarantees, I want something in return that is more.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • murphstates
You're not getting more. You're probably not even getting Myers unless it's Niese instead of Dickey.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • cjct

he has hit well at every level not just PCL. He is exactly what the Mets are looking for a young major league ready right handed power bat.

I don't know what you are looking for this team needs to continue to build for 2014-2015 seasons and this is the type of player that will do that.

I thought Wright slowed down our developement and flexability but if you can get Myers for Dickey you do it 10 times out of 10 no questions asked!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • thebobymon

Has he even smelled the majors?

Seems a big risk for a position player.

Reminds me a little of Kirk, but righty.

The curve ball makes the best of em look like amateurs.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/4/12
  • melloca
I think the Mets will have to give a prospect back in return
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • thebobymon
uh-huh.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • AdrianMonk

Kirk has never really dominated AAA pitching for an extended period.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • wright75
wil is one of the top five prospects in all of baseball, he could be the mets version of harper or trout if they get him
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • AdrianMonk

Gee + Duda + one of (Christopher Swinden, Colin McHugh, Jeremy Hefner)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • dbmets9
Sniffed the majors? He dominated AAA last season and very easily could've been in the majors. You aren't going to find a better prospect. The guy was the best hitting prospect in the entire majors, what else do you want? We'd be REALLY lucky to get him for Dickey. It'd be better than the Wheeler-Beltran trade imo and you want more? Who do you want? You expect the Tigers to trade Cabrera for Dickey? I guess if you dont have a clue who Myers is, you have no idea about any prospects so therefore you probably have no idea what you want for Dickey. The Mets should throw in whatever prospect outside of Wheeler plus Dickey to get this deal done. He's exactly what the Mets need. A stud, elite prospect who happens to play OF, is RH and has power.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545868.17 was deleted
  • 12/4/12
  • dbmets9
Myers is a better prospect than Wright ever was. You're telling me you wouldnt trade a 38 year old Dickey for a 22 year old Wright? smh...IF and thats a big IF the Mets can get a top 20 prospect (let alone a top 5) for Dickey they have to do it. Our future could be a lot better had we traded Reyes like we should've and now Dickey.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • AdrianMonk

What have we got to lose?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • METMAINEAC

What kind of prospects do you think a half year of Reyes would net?

I think what he's trying to say is Dickey should command more than a prospect. A prospect is still a prospect. Surely you've seen some "sure things" flame out.

No need to be patronizing with the Cabrera trade either. Everyone knows you're not getting an established young all star, but SA should be able to net something in between.

• Reply to this Message