New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mets have interest in Ryan Ludwick
  • To:All
  • 12/3/12
  • 4545_ajd

"Joel Sherman ?@Joelsherman1

#Mets have interest in Ryan Ludwick They may end up budgeting a few extra dollars to address their severe OF needs "

This is what I like to hear.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • PrayedforBay
That would be a respectable signing. I don't think it makes a difference at the end of the day.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • gomets66
just came across reds made him an offer. doesnt say what offer is.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • nvmets10
Well that's extremely encouraging. With a ton of big teams reportedly in on Ross and the market being poor in general, Ludwick is probably the best chance we have at improving this offense. Fingers crossed.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • wjrz
would be a nice right left platoon with Duda.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • 4545_ajd
Ludwick hit .280 vs Righties last year and had a .936 OPS vs lefties, if he is on the Mets he will play every day.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • eastvisitr
He seems like a guy that would stink on the Mets. He is better than what we have unfortunately just don't go more than 2 years.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • Oldfan

He'll be 35 next year and had his first good season last year in awhile.

16 HRs in Cincinnati, 10 on the road. I wonder how that plays in Citi.

Ludwick's better than anyone the Mets have, but I don't know how he helps them moving forward. If the Mets are just looking at him as a stop gap, he probably has higher value to a contender.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • joemets22
Ludwick's only had an OPS over .800 once since 2008, last year. He was horrible the couple years he played in SD in Petco too. He's not very good overall and seems like he'd be a disaster at Citi.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • nvmets10

Again, no denying he isn't a sure thing. I can absolutely see him failing here too. But Met outfielders had a .705 OPS last season - WELL below average. Ludwick doesn't have to be nearly as good as he was in 2012 to constitute an improvement. Even just average production would be great. We aren't in a position to go after the few more legitimate candidates available. So it's either roll the dice and give yourself a chance with Ludwick or sign complete garbage and guarantee a repeat of last season. That's sadly where we are right now.

In fairness to Ludwick though, his career home-away splits are virtually even - .263/.341/.467 at home and .263/.327/.464 on the road.

Edited 12/4/2012 9:07 am ET by nvmets10
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • DFAB
He would be a great pickup for a cheap 1-2 year deal...even if it's just a stop gap. He could be a candidate for a solid trade bait piece at the deadline.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/4/12
  • nvmets10
Now comes news that they're open to a two a two-year deal for Ludwick at $6-7 million per season, though the Reds are still favorites.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • melloca
Ryan Ludwick is not coming here as he is not leaving a team that is a playoff contender while the Mets are rebuilding.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • AdrianMonk

I'm just afraid they'll settle for him instead of Myers.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • dbmets9
Definitely. If you can get him for 2 yrs-15 million he could be a good signing. He either produces and helps the Mets for 2 years, produces and gets the Mets something back in a trade or struggles and gives the Mets nothing, which for 7.5 a year isn't all that bad considering the money we've flushed down the toilet on Santana and Bay. 7-8 million SHOULDNT be much of a gamble.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545835.16 was deleted
  • 12/4/12
  • dbmets9
Ludwick has nothing to do with Myers. If the Mets could get Myers they'd do it regardless of Ludwick. The Mets arent going to say to themselves "well we could get a top 5 prospect for Dickey but now that we have Ludwick, we'll trade Dickey for a top 50 prospect since we no longer need an OF"...1)the Mets would still need another OF 2)Ludwick isnt a long term solution 3)Myers is an elite prospect ....Ludwick wont effect Myers in any way, shape or form
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • cjct

he also doesn't want to leave that joke of a ballpark which will give him one more big pay day.

He comes to the mets he goes back to his 13-17 HR season 60-70 RBI 240-250 BA....he is what he is....mediocre.

Terrible defender as well

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • dbmets9
Would you want the Mets trading their top prospect and a top 5 over-all prospect for a 38 year old pitcher? Even one coming off a Cy Young year? I know I wouldnt. That'd be like the Mets trading Wheeler + Harvey for Dickey. I dont blame the Mets for shooting for the stars but its tough to blame the Royals for saying no.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545835.20 was deleted