• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mets Have "Gotten Serious" Trading RA
  • To:All
  • 12/3/12
  • nvmets10
Via Jayson Stark on Twitter: "Sources say #Mets have gotten "serious" about trading R.A. Dickey as soon as this week." Mentions Royals and Rangers as most logical fits.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • DFAB
as long as the Mets get multiple QUALITY pieces, then trading him would be a good move. I just hope the Mets don't get pressured into accepting a deal that isn't worth trading for
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • METMAINEAC
Yup, hope everyone's happy here when they get a chance to evaluate the bag of balls the Mets will get back.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • melloca
I would love for the Mets get Nelson Cruz
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • cjct

the fact that it seems multiple teams have reported interest in dickey can only help the mets. They can hopefully use other teams involvement as leverege to up the other teams offer.

Also the fact that he is still under contract and most likely wants to sign an extension to lock in money makes him more tradeable and giving a window to a team to get a deal done probably ups his value as well.

It's not like he is a Boras client and wants to test FA we probably should get good return from what im understanding.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • nvmets10
I really would have to think Alderson knows what he's doing here and realizes that it is a pretty big deal to let go of someone like this. You have to get at least one top notch, near major league ready prospect if we're doing it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • Oldfan

Pass on Cruz. He's 32 and would probably have a tough time in Citi. Last year, 18 HRs in Texas, 6 on the road in more ABs. Overall OBP .319.

If Cruz is the centerpiece, I'd keep Dickey.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • bbyjean616
I think it needs to be done to improve the teams future....... BUT.... if we're just looking to shed more payroll and get rid of him hastily than its a huge waste
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • fargol

"I really would have to think Alderson knows what he's doing here and realizes that it is a pretty big deal to let go of someone like this. You have to get at least one top notch, near major league ready prospect if we're doing it. "

Agreed. Assuming the trade happens, this would be a very big indicator of SA's abilities.

• Reply to this Message
Message 545827.10 was deleted
  • 12/3/12
  • Oldfan

I don't think shedding payroll plays into it.

Dickey will make 5 mil this yr, so even if he's replaced by a guy making MLB minimum, the Mets are only saving 4.5 mil. Ticket sales on some of the days Dickey pitches, should more than offset that amount. Not to mention merchandise sales and he gives the Mets a better shot of being competitive longer into the season than a guy like Hefner. Dickey probably makes money for the Mets next year.

Edited 12/3/12   by  Oldfan
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • oceans48
If the Wilpons are serious about improving this team, RA has to go. Wright WAS a serious trading chip, now he's not. The only viable chip left with significant value is RA. You can't get rid of young, inexpensive talent like Ike, Niese, Tejada, Harvey, Wheeler, or Nimmo. Anyone else is fair game....but RA's value will never be higher. Bring him back and next year is the same as last....just juggle the scrubs a bit.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • tomg1964
It looks like the Royals might give up Wil Meyers for RA. Say a prayer.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • jgrangers2
If they're willing to, Sandy better pull the trigger before they pull their offer.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/3/12
  • thebobymon
Sandy rolled up his sleeves and everything...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • Matt H
I would hate to give up Dickey for Nelson Cruz. That would be a terrible deal. I would really only want to give up Dickey if Wil Myers is part of a deal. Not many other players on the Royals or Rangers I would really want badly.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • thebobymon
What if they get 2, 19 year old knuckleballers, in the deal?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • alfolerud
Lol...you crow about how good Nimmo is but don't want to trade Dickey for Myers. Shows how unobjective you are.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • alfolerud
Agreed completely.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/3/12
  • alfolerud
Is this general speculation or is there a new report about this? That would be amazing.
  • Reply to this Message