New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Lannan, Gorzellany, Soto, Flores, Jurrjens, Reynolds
  • To:All
  • 12/1/12
  • CHOOin2014

Get on the dam phone, Sandy.

We need one of Lannan or Gorzellany, one of Soto or Flores (perfect RH hitting catchers to pair with Thole) and we MUST sign Mark Reynolds, if all the talk of getting a power, RH outfielder is true.

Put your money where your mouth is. Work for once and go get 'em, Sandy.

Then trade for Choo :)

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • metthunder
yes, pick some and/or offer Niese to Jays for Arrencibia and Davis
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • stearnsy12

the problem is that while you may be right in that the FO will go for some players like this they really don't improve our team...as currently constructed Lannan,Gorzellany,and Jurrjens aren't really much better (if at all) than our #5 Gee and the same goes for Soto/Flores although as a right sided platoon with Thole Flores does make sense if we're going in that direction

but Reynolds doesn't play the outfield at all so he wouldn't help us there

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • CHOOin2014
Ah, I thought Reynolds played a little OF but I was thinking of Davis...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • knarf0516
We MUST sign a 1B/3B if all the talk of getting a power, RH outfielder is true?
(I was typing this while you posted your Mea Culpa)

Edited 12/1/12   by  knarf0516
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • nvmets10

I'm in agreement that there's no reason to be spending money on these back-end starters when they'd be of no real use to us, at least right now. We don't have the luxury of putting money into insurance policies.

Catching wise, I'm very strongly in favor of bringing in Soto - that really could make a large improvement. Met catchers last season were the worst in major league baseball with 5 HR and a .567 OPS. That was 13 HR and over 150 points, respectively, below the NL average. Yes, Soto too was awful in 2012 but he's just 30 years old and has a .776 career OPS, including .891 against lefties. This is undoubtedly a risk worth taking. Flores, on the other hand, has a .663 career OPS and only .730 against lefties.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • stearnsy12

either one is relatively low risk,i'm thinking,wouldn't cost much

the real catch (no pun intended) would have been a veteran like Laird who went cheaply and could have worked well with Niese,Harvey,Wheeler,and Gee as well as possible young pen guys like Edgin,Carson,Mejia,and Familia

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • mysticpiazza
I agree about Soto. He's had some clunker seasons in Chicago, and some solid ones too. Not too expensive either. I looked at his career power number splits home vs away, and they're dead even, so the power's not necessarily a product of Wrigley. If he goes for under $4mil, I think it's a no brainer.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • skorpio520
ID BE GOOD WITH GORZELLANY AND FLORES. BUT WHAT PURPOSE WOULD REYNOLDS SERVE?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • edmet
reasonable plan. i like choo to. i would trade for him and then offer gee and some secondary prospects for arenciba,and rajai davis. there is a deal to be made there that doesnt involve dickey,harvey, niese or wheeler' . that 5 man rotation with santana can be dominant. lineup: davis tejada choo wright ike arenciba duda murphy[.by no means flawless}.
  • Reply to this Message