• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Get Michael Bourn
  • To:All
  • 11/30/12
  • Oldfan

Now that Wright's been extended, if the Mets are committed to winning, they need to get Michael Bourn.

One guy fills the CF, leadoff and speed deficiencies of this team and he's only 29.

If Wright was the first step, this guy needs to be the second.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • melloca
Too expensive for the Wilpons
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • anthony888

<<<<Too expensive for the Wilpons >>>>

I think it's time we put this to rest.

We really don't know the game plan. It may include some FA signings, and some salary dump through trades. One never knows.

Edited 11/30/12   by  anthony888
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • melloca
As far as trades we don't have the prospects to trade for big bats. Johnathan Niese and Dickey teams are interseted but other teams have the better prospects. FA signings the Mets are going to spend like they did last offseason so like I stated TOO EXPENSIVE for the Wilpons
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • jgrangers2
How much is Bourn worth, especially in a weak free agent market. He's been a below average player throughout his career with one plus offensive skill, speed. To me, a guy like that isn't worth the contract he'll get due to the weak free agent class.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • Moses0507

Disagree. Michael Bourne screams Contract-bust

I wouldn't go near him.

Only get guys who will be here 1-2 years.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • Oldfan

You made a good point about the Wright signing in an earlier thread.

I agree that he likely came away impressed with the Mets future plans before approving his deal. I don't think he would have stayed long-term if the plan is to sign a bunch of middling vets to short-term deals and wait 4 years for Nimmo.

Bourn's a year younger than Wright, so even if the Mets don't compete in 2013, he's another building block going forward. If the Mets don't have a lot of money to work with this year, FA signings could be backloaded, beginning with good money starting in 2014.

• Reply to this Message
Message 545701.8 was deleted
  • 11/30/12
  • melloca
If BJ Upton can get a 5 year 75 Million Dollar Contract then Michael Bourn will get a good contract from somebody.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • Moses0507

Exactly. The Mets are finally getting out under the Large contracts of Bay and Santana. Its Not time to sign another guy to a huge deal unless he's legit.

Trade for a guy who will be a year stop-gap, or sign a guy like Victorino for a year.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • jgrangers2
I really don't understand the love affair with Bourn. He steals bases, but does little else. The fact that he's considered the 2nd best position player in free agency is all anyone really needs to know about this free agent class.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • Oldfan

<<"How much is Bourn worth, especially in a weak free agent market. He's been a below average player throughout his career with one plus offensive skill, speed. To me, a guy like that isn't worth the contract he'll get due to the weak free agent class."

His OBP is .340-.350, probably better than Reyes.

Like Reyes, he plays a premium defensive position and is a leadoff hitter with speed.

Unlike Reyes, he's been relatively healthy.

He's a guy, whose offensive and defensive skills should translate very well to Citi.

I think he's a lot better than below-average. I'm thinking above average.

As far as a weak FA class, not really for CFers, but in any case, if it's a guy your team needs, then spend the money. You can't keep waiting around for a good or great FA class, thinking you'll save a few mil.

His contract terms IMO will be lower and less risky (injuries) than Reyes', for a similar type player.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • Matt H
Bourn will not be worth the contract he gets at all. He is a solid player, but I am not sold on him. I could not give out more then a 2-3 year contract for him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • Oldfan

"Trade for a guy who will be a year stop-gap, or sign a guy like Victorino for a year"

A stop-gap for who?

It's not like signing a stop gap pitcher, while waiting for Wheeler.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • cjct
you want to pay a 30 yr old "speed" OF a 100 million dollar contract...why didn't we just keep Reyes then...he is a better player and plays a more vital position
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • Moses0507

We don't have to sign a Starting Pitcher this offseason, So don't expect.

It would be VERY hard to make the 2013 team competitive on paper. They'll need some lucky breaks for that too happen. I'm looking towards 2014

Santana
Dickey
Niese
Harvey
Gee

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • jgrangers2
Actually, Bourn's numbers scream below average. A career OPS of .704 and OPS+ of 90 is below average. He's had one season with an OPS+ above 100 and that was 103 in 2011. If you're not familiar with the stat, an OPS+ of 100 indicates an average player. Last year, his OPS+ was 99. He's a mediocre player with speed and, ultimately, not somebody I'm breaking the bank for. If BJ Upton (and his 105+ career OPS) can get $15 million per year in this market, Bourn will likely get something slightly less. Bourn is not worth whatever he will receive.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • Oldfan

<<"you want to pay a 30 yr old "speed" OF a 100 million dollar contract"

No. I've read 5/85, but I doubt he gets that much.

As for Reyes, I think the Mets would have kept him for those numbers, but he got more and had injury concerns. I also would have preferred Reyes over Bourn, but don't fault the Mets for not matching that deal.

Edited 11/30/12   by  Oldfan
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • Moses0507

5-years?! NO FREAKING WAY

I'd rather Victorino, and I HATE that guy.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • DanNYM
Bourn is the best option. I can also live with Victorino and you know he will be motivated to stick it to the Phillies whenever we play them.

Edited 11/30/12   by  DanNYM
  • Reply to this Message