• Welcome Guest
Seattle Mariners

Welcome to the Seattle Mariners.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mariners Opening Day OF
  • To:All
  • 1/20/13
  • ljs1993

How do you guys think the outfield is going to play out come opening day for our team? Like it, love it, or even hate it this is how I think it could play out. Keep in mind I'm not an expert regarding contractual commitments so that could play a role in this alignment. Nor am I a saber head so that will definitely not "jive" with you saber worshippers. I guess it's obvious I like hitting and will sacrifice some defense in return.
I have to tell you I just don't feel Gutierrez will stay healthy while Bay will show Wedge more then enough to start him in left. Keep in mind that I'm also going into this trusting Jack Z on his statement that Carp is still in the plans for this club and is definitely in contention for a roster spot. Wells unfortunately is AAA bound along with Thames.

LF: Bay
CF: Saunders
RF: Morse

Ibanez LF/DH
Carp LF/1B

**NOTE: If Gutierrez stays healthy and plays like he did in Venzuela then things will be REALLY interesting.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • TontoRinaldi
Wells is out of options you doofus. Carp will never see the OF again. Are you on the right site?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • RM2013
Agreed. He's probably just trade bait at this point.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • Ackattack
LF- Mike Morse
CF Franklin Gutierrez
RF- Michael Saunders
-
Bay doesn't make team (from a guy who's favorite player was Jason Bay, jasonbayfan), instead Casper Wells makes the team as 4th OF. If Guti gets hurt Morse in Left, Saunders in Center and Wells in Right with Bay as 4th OF.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • ljs1993
Hey you tool note I said I am not considering contractual obligations in mind. Quit being a tool and give me your alignment.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • ljs1993
Yea that's a very logical alignment also and makes a lot of sense. I admit I am reaching far with Bay but I'll eat my share of crow if he doesn't pan out.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • urbanman

We still need a catcher, and preferably more pitching.

Wells, Smoak, Carp, could all be on the move, certainly we don't have enough space for all of them.

I agree with you, they really want Bay on the team. Unless he really stinks in AZ, he's on the 25 man.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • brotherfox

I think you've got it right: Morse, Guti, and Saunders.

As for those who seem to think Bay has a really good shot to play, I can only tell you I'm a Mets fan and have followed Jason's travails for two years. I can't imagine that all this faith in him comes from people with a real knowledge of his struggles. He hasn't been able to hit his weight for a long time. I mean, it was sad -- bad at-bat after bad at-bat, with only the rare glimmer that quickly faded back into a series of failures at the plate. He's shown almost nothing.

Heck, I'd love to see him resurrect his former self at the plate. But there's zero evidence that he can, and we'll only know if he has anything left when he picks up a bat in spring training. This is an extreme long shot, and Z knew it. It was worth taking, because the Mets are paying him $21M and the M's only had to toss in a chicken feed salary. If he's got something, it's a windfall. If not, no big loss to the franchise.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • TontoRinaldi
tjs- sorry for calling you a doofus. It's just that I'm tired of reading about how Wells is an afterthought in most posters minds. If Z wanted to trade him he would've been gone by now as several teams are interested. A Wells for Capuano trade sounds great since the M's have no starting pitching. And he won't be released as the M's won't just give him away. Wells is probably the best 4th OF in the league right now and he is under team control. Z is taking a gamble on Bay. Bay is similar to a horse that won the Kentucky Derby and the next year he is in a claiming race. If he can beat out Wells then Wells doesn't deserve to be on the 25 man.
And, I agree with Ackattack as to the projected lineup.

Edited 1/21/13   by  TontoRinaldi
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • FelixForever34

My lineup for opening day depends on who Starts opening day for Oakland (and there really isnt a clear cut #1 starter for the A's at this point)

This is Opening Day only

***IF Smoak starts the Season in AAA (not my preference, but He has to crush spring training to make the team)

NOTE: Bay and Wells both do not make the Team..... Bay's ST bat determines who wins spot on Roster
-- vs LHP
LF: Bay Or Wells (if Wells Makes Team, he moves to RF and Saunders to LF)
CF: Gutierrez
RF: Saunders
DH: Morse

-- vs RHP
LF: Saunders
RF Morse
DH: Ibanez

If Smoak Makes the Team
-- vs LHP
LF: Saunders (Bay or Wells)
DH Morales
-- vs RHP
LF: Saunders
DH Morales/Ibanez

Edited 1/21/13   by  FelixForever34
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • Chris88

Only one question. Why should anyone's spring training stats determine anything? Let alone something as meaningful as a roster spot or potential start role?

edit: I guess that's two questions, technically...

Edited 1/21/13   by  Chris88
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • urbanman

I wouldn't say its ST stats, as in focusing on the printed stat sheet. Instead, it's ST performance, looking at specific instances and general characteristics. As in, does Bay look to be in very good physical condition, demonstrate good bat speed, an ability to handle a variety of pitches. How does he look when he's facing a pitcher who is actually gonna make a 25 man?

ST may not be highly meaningful, but it's not meaningless either.

2011 was an off-year for Jason Bay, but he was just as good or better than Casper Wells has ever looked (outside of Wells' 2010 partial season with Detroit - small sample size). Bay in 2012 had fractured ribs, then a concussion. Let's make sure when 2012 is evaluated, this is remembered.

Edited 1/21/13   by  urbanman
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • ljs1993
Well whatever you say man but a little forum etiquette is obviously something you are lacking. If someone attacks you then go all out. But if someone posts a legit thread expecting intelligent responses either give one or just stay out of the whole conversation all together.
With that said I too like Wells but I honestly believe management is going to give Bay a shot if he shows something in spring training. Like was stated above it doesn't have to pertain to purely statistical results with Bay. The fact is considering his past production if the guy shows his bat is still live and he can man his position he's on the opening day roster. I know it's a major gamble but I bet that's how it goes. I think management really wants some bats and I believe Carp can and will out hit Wells thus landing on the squad.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • ljs1993
Good points Urban. A lot of experts talk as if Bay's decline was just some mysterious anomaly that occurred suddenly. The fact is the man had two concussions and a myriad of other injuries while playing hard. He may be done but if he's healthy, just like Gutierrez who everyone seems to have a lot of faith in, there is no reason why he cannot produce. He may not be the Jason Bay of 2004-2005 but he'll still be a boost to our anemic offense.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • TontoRinaldi
Gee, didn't Wells get hit in the face with a 98 mph fastball? Now you are saying that he belongs in AAA? ( even though he is out of options.) Didn't he lead the OF in assists last year while playing only half the games? Why is Dave CAmeron comparing him to Cody Ross, Mike Morse, Justin Upton, huh? You guys want him traded. I can't wait to see Bay and Morse in the OF, what a joke.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • Chris88

Okay so let me refine my question for you.

How good does Jason Bay have to look in the small handful of meaningless warmup games that is spring training to convince you the last 3 years didn't just happen and that you want Jason Bay as a player on your team?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • TontoRinaldi
for $500,000 a year I'm sure Bay will go all out!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • ljs1993
Tonto I think you have a hard time with reading comprehension. Where did I say I did NOT like Wells? I think he should have received more playing time and much more opportunity then he has. However I just feel management is going to give Bay a legit chance over Wells.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • ljs1993
Bay is already wealthy enough Tonto. He could have easily retired but instead wants one last chance to see if it's time to call it a career or not. Believe it or not some guys love playing the game. By the way where is the Lone Ranger?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • ljs1993
Chris though your inquiry wasn't directed towards me let me say what I believe. Someone in the Mariners organization must have scouted him enough to know that there is something left in the tank. If he looks ridiculous in spring training then I am more then confident the Z man will cut him.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Recovery Game Thread April 17th M's vs Rangers
Latest by kingkoufaxii - 5:01 PM
Cano
Latest by MyOhMyMarinersx96 - 4:52 PM
Velcome to the Austrian Weight-Lifting Academy of Managing
Latest by jhubbs2323 - 2:23 PM
Elias vs Ramirez
Latest by Algus - 1:21 PM
closer
Latest by MyOhMyMarinersx96 - 11:39 AM