• Welcome Guest
Seattle Mariners

Welcome to the Seattle Mariners.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• To:All
  • 1/20/13
  • boutit

After the last trade I think z is pretty much done besides maybe adding a backup backstop and a lefthanded starter. id rather neither be the case and go with what we have already letting zunino get his feet wet and either paxton or hultzen getn a rotation spot heres the team id like to see break camp. Im not a fan of j Bay and since smoak has options and carp doesnt i see carp making squad. what you think?

P

hernandez
Iwakuma
Beaven
ramirez
paxton
furbush
perez
kelley
pryor
wilhemlsen
capps
luetge/or framboise

C
Montero
Zunino

IF
kendry
carp
ryan
andino
seager
ackley

OF
ibanez
morse
guti
saunders
wells

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • rte29

I don't think they start Zunino's service clock right away. They have to get another catcher.

They probably trade Smoak and Wells for something. Probably another catcher or starting pitcher while also look at the rest of the leftover free agents for a catcher and starting pitcher or two.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • urbanman

Zunino is not near ready to be at the ML level. Only 44 games minor league ball, 29 at single A, 15 at AA. People need to take a breath.

Ackley, for example, played over 200 minor league games. And Catcher I would hazard to say is a much more difficult position.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • rte29

I agree for the most part, but remember he actually played in AA the same summer he was drafted and played well. I do think we see him sometime in 2013 but probably only before September if he's destroying the league.

The fact that it's late January and our catching is in flux makes it seem to me like Zunino might be aggressively promoted.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • urbanman

1) You are 100% correct about the service clock issue.

2) It would be insanity to have two so incredibly inexperienced catchers as your start-the-year tandem. Hard to believe I am typing this, but I would prefer Olivo returning for another year, to Montero-Zunino.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • TontoRinaldi
1- ackley 2nd
2- seager 3b
3- saunders lf
4- morse 1b
5- morales- dh
6- montero- c
7- wells-rf
8- guti- cf
9- ryan- ss
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • tripodus
Tonto?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • chuck8419

- Dustin Ackley
- Franklin Gutierrez
- Kendrys Morales
- Mike Morse
- Jesus Montero
- Kyle Seager
- Justin Smoak
- Michael Saunders
- Brendan Ryan

- Robert Andino
- Raul Ibanez
- Mike Carp
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia (trade)
- Jason Bay

- Felix Hernandez
- Hisashi Iwakuma
- Joe Saunders (FA)
- Erasmo Ramirez
- Blake Beaven

- Charlie Furbush
- Shawn Kelley
- Lucas Luetge
- Stephen Pryor
- Carter Capps
- Tom Wilhelmsen

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • butchie45
Don't kid yourself. The "Z" man is hardly done. I look for another major deal before the Season starts.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • safecoike

"Don't kid yourself. The "Z" man is hardly done. I look for another major deal before the Season starts."

"Major" might be a strong word, but I am also expecting another "notable" trade in the not so distant future.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • FelixForever34

"Don't kid yourself. The "Z" man is hardly done. I look for another major deal before the Season starts. "

Not sure about how major it will be.......

Everyone is thinking that the Mariners have $$$ still to spend....the problem is...there isnt anything to really spend it on..... the remaining high dollar Free Agents dont fit into our roster and if they could..... well...the Mariners havent been in pursuit of them for various reasons.

I can see them getting another Starter via free agent or minor trade.....but I think its just gonna be a ho-hum Veteran guy.

Baring some Huge Trade that no one can even phathom..... I actually think the Mariners are gonna just be left with a Bag of Money unspent. (which I actually have no problem with)

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • boutit
thats how i feel too even hoo hum kinda pitcher or catcher id jus pass on and go with what we have and live with it
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • poppintheglove

CF - Gutierrez
3B - Seager
1B - Morales
LF - Morse
C - Montero
DH - Smoak/Ibanez
RF - Saunders
2B - Ackley
SS - Ryan

INF - Andino
1B/DH - Ibanez/Smoak (unless Smoak is traded)
C - Paulino (recently signed by Seattle)
OF - Wells/Bay (unless Wells is traded)

Felix
Iwakuma
Ramirez
Beaven
______ (Wells or Smoak traded for SP or sign Marcum/Saunders)

(RH) Pryor
(RH) Capps
(RH) Kelley
(LH) Perez
(LH) Furbush
(LH) Luetge
RH (Wilhelmsen)

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • urbanman
Pop, we need another starter. A 2013 Kevin Millwood. Can't go forward relying on both Beaven and Ramirez to pan out.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • poppintheglove
Thats why I mentioned trading Smoak and/or Wells for one OR signing either Shaum Marcum or Joe Saunders. I guess right now Hector Noesi would be the 5th starter...can't say I'm not nervous about that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • KitsapFan
Your post assumes that Jack is done dealing. He will have to add a vet catcher as Zunino will not be on the roster as a backup. When he makes the team, probably on opening day '14, he will be the #1 catcher. He might get called up in Sep, but will play the rest of the year in TAC. I like Brain Schneider for the #2 catcher. Also think Jack will add a vet pitcher for the middle of the rotation. If the price comes down a little, it could be Joe Saunders. If those two moves are made, I see the 25-man roster looking like this:
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • boutit
Neosi will not be on the club trust me it will be either a vet or Maurer,Paxton,hultzen
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • urbanman
Yup, Pop, agree. If anything, I think we need to add two starting arms, if only to get some real competition during ST.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • tripodus
A guy that interests me, tho not a vet, is Stephen Fife of the Dodgers. He started, I think, four games last year during two call ups and performed very well. He got close to no run support. I'd love to see him get tossed into a deal for say....Capuano or Harang. Not saying Cap or Hurang are great, but i could see either one of them filling one of our mid-rotation spots this season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • plantier79

CF - Gutierrez
3B - Seager
1B - Smoak/Morales/Ibanez
LF - Morse/Ibanez
C - Montero
DH - Morales/Ibanez
RF - Saunders/Thames
2B - Ackley
SS - Ryan

ps-no bs...please (TRADE) JASON BAY and/or CASPER WELLS

***A FEW stat predictions*** (OPTIMISTIC-YET,REALISTIC)
.AVG HR RBI
GUTIERREZ .311 12 48
SEAGER .288 27 90
SMOAK .330 40 118
MORALES .293 44 106
MONTERO .335 34 120
MORSE .238 09 37 (GETS INJURED)
IBANEZ .278 13 42
M.SAUNDERS .312 28 80
THAMES .294 31 77 (CALLED UP-FILLS IN FOR MORSE)
ACKLEY .303 11 53
RYAN .265 13 41

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Gee man... Choi's been juicing
Latest by NWinAZ - 3:48 PM
Poor Felix
Latest by dav51lin - 3:38 PM
Recovery Game Thread April 17th M's vs Rangers
Latest by jhubbs2323 - 11:29 AM
Cano
Latest by jhubbs2323 - 11:27 AM