Welcome to the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Dodgers Spring Notes 2/27/08
  • To:All
  • 2/27/08
  • bennyp

Los Angeles Dodgers Spring Training Notes
February 27, 2008

LET THE GAMES BEGIN: The Dodgers today went through their final workout before tomorrow’s opening of the 2008 Grapefruit League schedule. Position players took infield and batting practice, while the hurlers conducted a pitchers fielding practice (PFP) circuit.

PITCHING CHANGE: Jason Johnson will now start tomorrow’s Grapefruit League games against the Braves in Vero Beach, going up against Tim Hudson. Chad Billingsley, who originally was tabbed as the Dodgers’ starter, will instead pitch in a simulated game due to slight tightness in his right groin. Other Dodger pitchers scheduled to appear include Mike Myers, Tanyon Sturtze, and Tom Martin. Then on Friday against the Braves at Disney, Hiroki Kuroda will square off against Jair Jurrjens. Kuroda will be followed by Esteban Loaiza and Greg Miller.

SIM CITY: A group of Dodger pitchers faced minor league hitters in a simulated game this morning at Holman Stadium in the final tune-up before tomorrow’s Grapefruit League opener. Derek Lowe faced eight hitters over 2.0 hitless innings. He struck out two, and threw 33 pitches, 23 for strikes. Takashi Saito, Rudy Seanez, Jonathan Broxton, and Joe Beimel all pitched an inning as well.

FROM THE SITUATION ROOM: The White House today announced that President George W. Bush has appointed Joe Torre to be a Member of the President’s Cancer Panel for a term expiring February 21, 2011. Here is the link to the President’s Cancer Panel: http://deainfo.nci.nih.gov/advisory/pcp/pcp.htm.

WELCOME, ROOKIES: “Dodger Idol” got underway this morning for players appearing in their first big league camp. Nomar Garciaparra played the role of Ryan Seacrest, while Juan Pierre was Randy Jackson, team physical therapist Sue Falsone was Paula Abdul, and Jeff Kent was Simon Cowell. The list of players who performed: Rick Asadoorian, Lucas May, James McDonald, John Lindsey, Mario Alvarez, and Xavier Paul. Asadoorian started things off with his rendition of “Piano Man” while playing the guitar and harmonica. Paul closed things out with a version of Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together.” Dodger Idol competition continues tomorrow morning in the Dodger clubhouse.

THAT’S THE TICKET!: Single game tickets for the Los Angeles Dodgers’ 50th Anniversary season will go on sale Saturday at 10:00 a.m. Fans can purchase tickets at Dodger Stadium, by visiting www.dodgers.com, by calling 866-DODGERS or by visiting any Ticketmaster Ticket outlets. Former Dodgers “Sweet” Lou Johnson, Bobby Castillo, Kenny Landreaux, and Rudy Law will be at the On Sale at Dodger Stadium from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for a fan meet-and-greet and to sign autographs.

T.G.I.S.: TBS today announced the first two months of its “Sunday MLB on TBD” schedule. The Dodgers will appear once in that span for the nationwide audience, Sunday, April 20 at Atlanta. The game that day will still be shown locally in Los Angeles on KCAL.

DATES TO REMEMBER
February 28 – First Spring Game (vs. Atlanta, Holman Stadium)
February 29 – First TV Game (1:05 pm on ESPN)
March 1 – Ticket On-Sale Day at Dodger Stadium
March 15-16 – Dodgers vs. Padres in China
March 29 – Dodgers vs. Red Sox at Coliseum
March 31 – Opening Day, Dodgers vs. Giants

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/27/08
  • thekillertomato
Thanks for the updates Benny!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/27/08
  • gibson88fan
Thanks for all the info and for taking the time.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/27/08
  • Blueman23
Thanks Benny. Is there any chance we will be seeing video or pictures of Dodger Idol?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/27/08
  • nryan30

awesome, cant wait to see Kuroda and Miller

EDIT: I second the photo and video request from Dodger Idol, lol

Edited 2/27/08   by  nryan30
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/27/08
  • bp_1
I remember reading somewhere that they're going to do the Idol contest behind closed doors within the clubhouse and no media outlets will be allowed inside.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/27/08
  • Blueman23
I did read that, but I took that to mean that TV cameras wouldnt be allowed. I think that we will see video from Dodger cameras and photographers, like the set of photos we see everyday.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/27/08
  • nryan30
well, there wasnt anything in todays set. although there was a pic of kersh. he's kinda goofy lookin when he pitches, haha.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/27/08
  • Blueman23
I just have to see Jeff Kent as Simon.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/27/08
  • nryan30
it makes sense though doesnt it? haha, I wonder if he dressed up in one of those low V cut shirts that Cowell wears alot, haha.
  • Reply to this Message