• Welcome Guest
Chicago Cubs

Welcome to the Chicago Cubs.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Brad Ausmus
  • To:All
  • 9/27/13
  • glenman12
Didn't hear the interview myself but Gammons was on the Score earlier and said that if Dale is fired Ausmus could be a candidate for the job..
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/27/13
  • Czarcastic
He would be an excellent choice.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/27/13
  • rcs777
Quotes:
•Ausmus to MLB.com in 2010 on the idea of a managerial career path, and why he didn’t necessarily think that minor league experience was necessary: “In the minor leagues, a lot of the decision-making is out of the manager’s hands. The organization wants certain guys to play. They dictate at-bats, innings pitched, pitch counts. Development is the top order in the minor leagues, whereas winning is the most important in the major leagues.”Coaching in the major leagues — third base, pitching coach, hitting coach and just being around the manager in the dugout as part of the process — might be the more prudent way to prepare for major league managing. The last two years, being a part-time player behind [Russell Martin] — which is the extreme of being a backup catcher — allowed me to be on the bench and watch [Joe Torre] and to ask questions of [bench coach] Bob Schaefer or Donnie [Mattingly] or Larry Bowa and to learn more about the game.”
•One major league talent evaluator and longtime acquaintance of Ausmus: “I can’t speak highly enough about Brad as a managerial candidate. I’ve sat at many games with him, talking about situations from a game management standpoint. The way he breaks down players, both mentally and physically, he already sees that part of the game. He’s got such good feel for the game, playing it for as long as he did, but he can look at it through a different lens, too, not just as a player. He can look at it through the lens of a front office guy. He can look at it through the lens of if he was managing the player. He can look at it through the lens of if he was purely a scout. He’s got this rare combination. To me, he’s got so many traits that will serve him well if and when he decides to do it. It’s a slam dunk that he’s going to manage in the major leagues. It’s really just when he wants to do it.”
•The same evaluator suggested that Ausmus would need to learn the administrative aspects of managing and might face an adjustment to both the time management requirements and, in Boston, the volume of media covering the team. As such, Ausmus likely would need a veteran bench coach with experience running spring training to help him with some of the logistics of the job. Still, the evaluator raved about Ausmus’ skill set: “Would he be a great manager right off the bat? I don’t know. Especially in that environment. But he has all the ingredients you’re looking for – from game management to managing players to how to interact with the superstars, the rookies, the foreign guys, how to interact with the media, game management – he has everything you’d want to find in a manager. … Dealing with the players, running the game, running pitchers and a pitching staff, those things are going to come so naturally to him. The actual management of the game and the management of the clubhouse I think are going to be really strong areas for him immediately.”
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/27/13
  • Czarcastic
I would love to have Brad Ausmus as the manager. I've always seen him and Mike Matheney in a similar light.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/27/13
  • glenman12
Matheny was the first name that came to mind when I heard this..
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/27/13
  • jerm42991

Interesting. Can't say I would be against it.

My biggest concern with any manager is what they do with Bosio and McKay. They have done excellent jobs thus far and I would like to keep them

• Reply to this Message
  • 9/27/13
  • truck19

If Gammons said it, it won't happen.

He hasn't been right since the 90's.

• Reply to this Message
  • 9/27/13
  • The Chico

LOL! So true about Gammons. Ausmus is intreguing canidate and always had the leadership type qualities when he played.

The Chico

• Reply to this Message
Message 424963.9 was deleted
  • 9/27/13
  • rcs777
He's an Ivy Leaguer so he fits the Dream Team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/27/13
  • flhtcu
Ditto jerm.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/27/13
  • Batman66
He was also a pretty good catcher so I'd imagine he'd handle a pitching staff well ........that would be a nice change.
He's also only 41 so he can probably relate well with the younger players.
If they can't bring in Girardi , Scoscia or Gardenhire I'd be fine with Ausmus.
I'm actually not as high on Gardenhire as some people on here are so Ausmus might be my third choice.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/27/13
  • SheboyganFrank

"what they do with Bosio and McKay. "

I thought about that as well. Their contributions to this team are often overlooked. What usually happens tho is new manager, new blood.

• Reply to this Message
  • 9/27/13
  • rcs777
So was Sandy Alomar Jr a few years ago. Maybe we'd be ahead instead of behind.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/27/13
  • The Chico

Not a big fan of Gardenhire either for some reason. I see him as a guy that could not get the Twins far in the playoffs.

The Chico

Edited 9/27/13   by  The Chico
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/27/13
  • dAn
  • dAn

Cubs Den has a story on this.

Ausmus seems a reasonably choice, but I think I'd rather have Girardi. Girardi has everything Ausmus has, plus a successful track record as an MLB manager in two vastly different cities/situations.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 9/27/13
  • bacubsfan
Ex-catchers seem to make good managers. I guess it's the fact that they are so involved in every aspect of the game when they are players.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/27/13
  • evotz2

Is Ausmus coaching any where? Epstein and Hoyer wouldn't hire anyone without major league coaching experience the first time through. As far as I know, Ausmus hasn't been a coach any where in the major leagues, has he? I'm not sure why the criteria would change this time around, should Epstein/Hoyer be looking for a manager.

All that aside, I do agree, I think Ausmus would make a great manager some day. Catchers do tend to make good managers.

• Reply to this Message
  • 9/27/13
  • Batman66
I wouldn't have been opposed to Alomar but for some reason he keeps not winning a lot of openings despite being one of the final candidates.
Edited 9/27/13   by  Batman66
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/27/13
  • truck19
I admit I am a bit intrigued.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
CJ Edwards
Latest by xxxxxxxxxxxxx0101010 - 7:41 AM
cover hit off a baseball
Latest by xxxxxxxxxxxxx0101010 - 7:24 AM
Is Milwaukee a major market team?