• Welcome Guest
Chicago Cubs

Welcome to the Chicago Cubs.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Ricketts: Nothing's wrong. Just injuries. We'll be fine.
  • 6/1/11
  • cubsfaninfla2
I suppose when you're a Hendry guy like Quade is, and when Hendry himself has been basically guaranteed job security by Ricketts, you can do that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/1/11
  • ageofthecubs
And this is our owner, oh boy, has this team got problems in the future!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/1/11
  • tj41

"Just" injuries is wrong. Injuries are, to be fair, part of the problem. But, and I wish a reporter pointed this out, the Cards lost Cy-candidate Wainwright before the year even started. Oh, and their previously-solid closer went into the toilet. But they weather that storm and continue to play well.

The other, bigger problem is: the team stinks. The LFer is a HR or nothing, and terrible fielder whose contract through 2014 just kills the team. The RFer has a nice OBP, but little power and can only play against righties --- and costs $14 MM this year. The defense is terrible ---- so many errors and bad plays that aren't technically "errors" such as missing cut-off men or not moving into proper position (Castro has failed to move into position to be a cut off man a few times, and that game against the Mets where Reyes scored on multiple throwing errors was accented by Big Z not backing up 3B on the throw there --- he had all day to get into position but just became a spectator).

Or how about there not being any player that is a legitimate 3 or 4 hitter? And maybe not even a No. 5 hitter, at least not on a contending team. Or the non-injured Dempster's 9.00+ ERA in April?

The biggest thing wrong is performance. Time to wake up, Ricketts, and smell the disaster.

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/1/11
  • LOCOCZAM
Well we can see that Ricketts is setting the tone for what will be the standard line when questioned why this is was one of the worst teams in baseball when the season is all said and done.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 396281.7 was deleted
  • 6/1/11
  • cubsfaninfla2

Exactly.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Injuries will become the excuse du jour.

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/1/11
  • rixter719
If you were given a job, told you would be paid millions of dollars, you were not accountable to anyone, told to just enjoy the ride, wouldn't you feel like you were going to 'be fine'?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/1/11
  • LOCOCZAM
He come off as very condescending towards the fans.
If he thinks we can't see thru his bs then he is a fool.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/1/11
  • thetruth11
Fans can do something. Add an empty Wrigley to Ricketts' problems.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/1/11
  • jOj
  • jOj
it's just a bad team. nothing to get overly upset about, nothing much to analyze. ricketts' response was pretty bad, though.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/1/11
  • LOCOCZAM
I think we see that happening now. I know I will not pay for a ticket to go watch this garbage.
I will still follow the team some this summer but not nearly as closely as in the past.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/1/11
  • jOj
  • jOj
ticket sales have tanked since opening day. i went to one game and that'll be it for the season. of course, i'll continue to follow the team on a daily basis. no more $$$.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/1/11
  • tj41
First tier of upper deck on weekends in the summer, after taxes, are nearly $80 per seat. Oh, and beer is $7 each (but at least it's 16 ounces, and you know the beer will be good as opposed to knowing that the team will stink)
  • Reply to this Message
Message 396281.16 was deleted
  • 6/1/11
  • cubkahn

Just injuries.
Just a chat with Len and Bob.
Just want to see every ballpark for ideas.
Just seagulls.
Just noodles.
Just Harry glasses.
Just new toilets.
Just market-priced seats.
Just cold weather.
Just bison meat.
Just the cellar of the Central.
Just a sweep by the Astros at home.
Just Year Two.

• Reply to this Message
Messages 396281.18 through 396281.22 were deleted
Recent Discussions
Over or under on 95 losses
Latest by HerbsWestern - 10:17 PM
Crane Kenny
Latest by cubslifer5 - 10:15 PM
HAPPY EASTER!
Latest by nsidechick - 10:15 PM
OT: Bulls v Wizards
Latest by towelieBan - 10:13 PM
Good brawl in Pitt.
Latest by ccooldbud - 10:07 PM
True or False
Latest by ccooldbud - 10:04 PM
Don't feed the trolls
Latest by glenman12 - 10:03 PM
OT - Blackhawks in Big Hole.....
Latest by glenman12 - 10:02 PM
Almora
Latest by patbourque - 9:56 PM
Sleeves Rolled-UP and READY to KICK...- . . .!!!
Latest by Daytona - 9:55 PM