• Welcome Guest
Toronto Blue Jays

Welcome to the Toronto Blue Jays.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Snider's Wrist & Vladi
  • To:All
  • 6/5/12
  • kirksaw33

Expected to come off the DL and rejoin the 51s Thursday. He's probably ready now but with Vegas having tomorrow off, he will use Wednesday to get work at Extended Spring Training. This roster move could also affect Vladi Guerrero. The plan (for now) seems to be for Guerrero to rotate DH and LF every other night. Tonight Vladi is at DH. Thursday he could be with the Blue Jays at DH. He would then play left field at Atlanta Friday and Sunday and would be a pinch hitter/ bench bat on Saturday.

I guess we'll all see if it plays out that way.

• Reply to this Message
Message 82502.2 was deleted
  • 6/5/12
  • over500
Can't wait till he replaces the token black guy.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 82502.4 through 82502.5 were deleted
  • 6/5/12
  • over500
<In case of absolute suckness, probably same as Thames. Six weeks or so.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 6/5/12
  • Hazel33Mae
looking back, how stupid is that decision to have Thames in major and to send Snider to the minor.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 82502.8 was deleted
  • 6/5/12
  • kirksaw33

"How long of a leash would he have?"

No idea. It would all depend on health. If he's fairly healthy and the bat speed is there, then long. If he just looks old and battered and with no bat speed, short.

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/5/12
  • kirksaw33
I'm excited that Snider is apparently healthy. It would be great to see him return and pick up where he left off prior to being hurt. If that happened, I can't imagine that he would be in Vegas at the end of June.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 82502.11 was deleted
  • 6/5/12
  • DavidPadres50
If he back Thursday and starts mashing AAA again for I'd say a week to ten days, no reason not to call him up
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/5/12
  • AdamGreenwood

"looking back, how stupid is that decision to have Thames in major and to send Snider to the minor. "

Not stupid at all.
If Thames did well in ST, the job was his.

Other than defense, why should Snider get the call?

Success at AAA? Thames had that too.
Success in spring training? Thames had that too - .367 with an OPS of .987 OPS - higher than Snider.

Snider had been given many chances to succeed at the bigs, and while he often started out well, he eventually faltered, and looked ridiculous on breaking balls and change ups.

Thames performed decently last season (offensively), and it was hoped that he could sustain that or even improve on it.

I think they were ready to make the switch right before Snider hurt himself.

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/6/12
  • saskjayfan
wierd......vlad had his worst statistical season ever last year with a .744 OPS(which is far from terrible) By all accounts he's in better shape this year....rested...knees feeling better....he's a career .318 hitter....a career .931 OPS guy..he's 37 not 47....and most jays fans would rather talk about him failing than the prospects of him contributing.....most of you aren't old enough to remember guys like winfield who at age 40 contributed to a world series team....or a molitor that at age 36 and 37 contributed to the jays world series team.....all most fans have ever known is failure or mediocrity and are incapable of even considering the possibility of success...lol
  • Reply to this Message
Message 82502.15 was deleted
  • 6/6/12
  • 2BMAN
Vladdy DH and Snider LF. Francisco traded or dfa'd. Bench of Cooper, Mathis, Omar and Davis.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/6/12
  • okayyybluejays
Not any stupider than having Snider in the majors and Thames in AAA. Neither is the long term option in LF. I am quite confident in saying that Snider would have given us equal or worse value so it really didn't matter who was up.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/6/12
  • andybfour

thats sounds 100% correct to me

+1

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/6/12
  • 7tools

At 37 I know I'm old enough to remember Winfield and Molitor vividly and fondly, both players were special to watch when with the Jays and I obviously dream, like most fans, that Vlad could have the same impact.

Realistically, it will be tougher for Vlad and the odds are not on his side. Pitching as well as scouting of hitters tendencies is much different than it was 20 years ago. Furthermore, Molitor was still performing at an elite level and while Winfield was clearly in decline was still consistently hitting for power.

Edited 6/6/12   by  7tools
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/6/12
  • mallrat11
I imagine the coaching staff would make a decision based on his results obviously, combined with how he actually looks at the plate. hopefully his bat is still quick enough and he's not just guessing like frank thomas was with the jays
  • Reply to this Message