• Welcome Guest
Toronto Blue Jays

Welcome to the Toronto Blue Jays.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Keith Law on Brett Wallace: "It's not fixable"
  • 4/4/12
  • eastcoastjaysfan

"A classic case of a small sample size affecting everyone's decision. Wallace has great bat speed, there is no reason why he can't get to an inside fastball with some mechanical adjustments if that was indeed the problem. His skillset is still one that should lead to a .300 average and good power in the majors. He's the same guy he was last year when all of the scouts were drooling over his potential."

It's fun to read old threads

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/4/12
  • Dr_Dinger
Don't forget all the posts where he compared Wallace's swing to A-Rod and Bonds.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 71287.71 through 71287.73 were deleted
  • 4/4/12
  • connorp

I never read anything about Wallace's adjustments this Spring and what, if any, he accomplished in the off-season.. but a move to 3b was doomed to fail..

career isn't over.. AL would be a good fit for him and get him on track to a possible LH Billy Butler bat type.. I guess ceiling anyway.. but he isnt far removed from glowing scouting reports.. again, I didnt see anything this Spring about how he's handling the inside pitches now and such

• Reply to this Message
Message 71287.75 was deleted
  • 4/4/12
  • noxage

Fun fact: Brett Wallace is the same age as Billy Butler.

So Walrus spontaneously becoming a 120-130 wRC+ hitter is pretty unlikely.

• Reply to this Message
Message 71287.77 was deleted
  • 4/4/12
  • noxage

It's true.

Billy Butler is just as much of a prospect as his equally chubby cohort.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/4/12
  • connorp

we have been over this.. people peak at diff times.. think Overbay broke out at 28 or so.. Wallace has better pedigree than Overbay and he would prob be more likely to sustain it if it happens..

I'm not saying it will happen ala Grant and Cecil..

woth a shot for AL team though.. I think Butler is a pretty valuable piece at only 2+ WAR..

• Reply to this Message
Message 71287.80 was deleted
  • 4/4/12
  • noxage

"Wallace has better pedigree than Overbay"

Not really. The last 2 years have happened and are part of Walrus' pedigree now.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/4/12
  • noxage
And specific thing about Walrus indicates to you that he's an outlier and will buck the general aging/development curve?
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 71287.83 through 71287.84 were deleted
  • 4/4/12
  • connorp

"The last 2 years have happened and are part of Walrus' pedigree now."

Undoubtedly made him more of a question mark but not grave worthy yet.. 3b idea is a little crazy though.. not a recipe for success going forward

• Reply to this Message
Message 71287.86 was deleted
  • 4/4/12
  • noxage

"not grave worthy yet"

I honestly think most scouts tend to disagree.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/4/12
  • noxage
I do believe that is the implication here yes.
  • Reply to this Message