• Welcome Guest
A's Fan Forum

Welcome to the A's Fan Forum.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Melvin gets extension
  • 1/14/13
  • rushhead
Great news!!!!! Let's hope we can get a Ring or two with him!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • flaminpen
I was SOOO heartening to get that 2 year extension, I think he and Showater are two of the best "player" oriented managers in baseball, it is like Melvin crawls into every players' role, and at game time right into their cleats. Another in their mold is Washington in Texas. He did such a wonderful job with the A's and was mainly responsible for Eric Chavez's development.
I think NOW it is time to get down to business, planning ahead for this season. Beanie says the "secret void" for the year...."continuity"!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • TiggerBounce

His contract was already through 2014. This extension continues him through 2016. There was no need or rush to do this. It's just a testament to the confidence the Oakland management has in Bob.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • flaminpen
How about the Tigers Tigger? Management is pat with your organization too...correct? I hope so, you Tigers have a future Hall of Famer! How could I not mention him in my earlier post! I apologize! My all time favorite managers were Sparky Anderson, Tony LaRusso and Yogi Berra.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • cufc

This news has been out for about 3 days now.... Think, it was a slam dunk for the A's to make this move so, didn't bother posting it...

He is the best manager, we have had in a long time... Hopefully, he will do it again this year...

I was hoping, he was going to be locked up for a longer period than he was in the end...

Like 5 or 10 years

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • rushhead

Excellent post!

I can't wait for Spring Training!

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • esyiam
Agreed. No need, but nice to see them do this for him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • TiggerBounce

Yeah, I really liked Sparky. Good manager and great interviews.

The Tigers extended Jim Leyland through the end of 2013 last October. I think they'll continue on a year by year basis until Jim decides to retire. He's 68 years old, so this might be his last year before calling it quits.

Jim's okay, but the guys who really earned their money in 2012 were Bob Melvin and Buck Showalter. These two took teams that looked no better than fair on paper and coaxed every last bit of performance out of them. Anyone can build a team with high paid stars, but it takes vision from guys like Beane and Melvin to get there on a budget.

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Can't We Remodel the Coliseum?
Latest by BeaneBall - 3:04 PM
Tough loss, but great trip
Latest by dnrapp - 10:14 AM
Reddick Not In The Line-Up Again Today...
Latest by rw01 - 2:07 AM
A's Seek 10 Year Lease In Oakland
Latest by esyiam - Apr-18
Great Starting Pitching - Bullpen Weak
Latest by bayfever - Apr-17
Reddick..how much longer?
Latest by BeaneBall - Apr-17
Callaspo at 1st
Latest by BeaneBall - Apr-17
C'mon mannn
Latest by repko23 - Apr-17
Reddick & Sutcliffe