• Welcome Guest
Houston Astros

Welcome to the Houston Astros.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Astros acquire Theron Geith from Rays
  • To:All
  • 9/21/12
  • Ashitaka

The compensation for Ben Francisco: www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/09/astros-notes-martinez-bogar-geith.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

Don't have anything to go on other than MiLB stats, but the guy just got finished posted a 2.98 ERA (2.70 FIP), 8.12 K/9 and 1.82 BB/9 in 54.1 innings for the Charlotte Stone Crabs of the A-Advanced Florida State League.

Great name too, very Norse mythology.

• Reply to this Message
  • 9/21/12
  • unionstation82
His name sounds very Game of Thrones.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/22/12
  • Bortaz
I immediately thought "Cheap ripoff of Theon Greyjoy".
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/22/12
  • Ashitaka
Who/What/Where?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/22/12
  • Bortaz
There's more to life than Astros and Pokemon, son.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/22/12
  • PAASTROFAN

"There's more to life than Astros and Pokemon, son."

Leave this kid Ash alone. He reminds me when I was a kid and the only way I got MLB stats was waitng for the weekly "Sporting News" to arrive in the mail.

I was always a week behind, kids these days don't know how good they have it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 9/22/12
  • Ghick

I immediately thought "Cheap ripoff of Theon Greyjoy".
=========

Me too.

Guess we can nickname him 'Reek'.

Edited 9/22/12   by  Ghick
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/22/12
  • Ghick

Who/What/Where?
========

He's referring to those old-timey things that contain many individual swaths of fibrous material all bound together.

Edited 9/22/12   by  Ghick
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/22/12
  • thehebrewhammer

Haven't found much listed about him, but I am excited. Seems to be a great return for what we gave up. I think Luhnow made an excellent move here.

"In other Rays-Astros news, the two teams decided on who the player to be named would be for the Ben Francisco trade that happened back on August 31st: left-handed reliever Theron Geith. Geith, 23, pitched well for High-A Charlotte this season, posting a 2.98 ERA, an 8.1 K/9, a 1.8 BB/9, and a 0.3 HR/9 in 31 games and 54.2 IP. Geith, who was the Rays’ 39th round pick in 2011, is a 6’4?, 170 lefty with a fastball in just the high-80's and a good slider. He’s a little bit interesting because he’s a lefty who may have some projection remaining, but trading him was certainly worthwhile to acquire an outfielder to contribute to the Rays’ MLB effort immediately. Good luck to Geith in his new organization." http://rayscoloredglasses.com/2012/09/21/rays-notes-dave-martinez-finalist-for-astros-manager-ben-francisco-trade-strikeouts/

• Reply to this Message
  • 9/22/12
  • Ashitaka
Another guy with good command, solid secondary stuff, but lacking in velocity. I wonder if Luhnow's crew really does know something. It will be interesting to see how many, if any, of those guys we've picked up see a Nitro-esque velocity bump over the next 12-18 months.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/22/12
  • thomasj13
Rhymes with Geek....Flay that f*cker
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/23/12
  • Ghick

.Flay that f*cker
=======

Ha! We got our new mascot. The Flayed Man.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/7/76/Bolton.png

• Reply to this Message
  • 9/23/12
  • Bortaz
I didn't remember you knuckleheads knowing how to read, or being fans of SOI&F. Excellent.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/23/12
  • Ashitaka

"SOI&F"

???

• Reply to this Message
  • 9/23/12
  • thomasj13
Songs of Ice and Fire
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/23/12
  • Ashitaka
Ah, I've heard of them, series of novels right?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/23/12
  • thomasj13
Have you read the spoiler for the next book, Winds of Winter, yet? On Grrm, it is an excerpt of Theron chapter.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/23/12
  • thomasj13
Yes, GOTR is the first book of the series. Which will happen first, Astros having a .500+ season or Winds of Winter, the 6th book in SOI&F, to be published?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/23/12
  • Ghick

I didn't remember you knuckleheads knowing how to read, or being fans of SOI&F
=========

I posted on this board years ago when I found out HBO was going to make a series on the books and suggested everyone read the books before it comes out.

I have a nice collection of Martin books (1ed/signed) that cost me exponential less than they go for now.

Yes, I'm a book geek.

On that note, If you are into fantasy that doesn't <suck, read Patrick Rothfuss 'Name of the Wind' if you haven't done so yet.

• Reply to this Message
  • 9/23/12
  • Ghick

Have you read the spoiler for the next book, Winds of Winter, yet?
========

Nope, I stay away from teaser chapters. Martin takes so long to release a book, they end up adding more cliff hangers to have to deal with.

• Reply to this Message