• Welcome Guest
Angels

Welcome to the Angels.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• POSSIBILITY of Obtaining Cole Hamels
  • To:All
  • 7/5/12
  • bawah3

I see Cole Hamels trending a lot of late.
Putting in my 2 cents: Undoubtedly Hamels would be an AWESOME addition to what is already an excellent Angels team. There are 2 major issues we have to face if we get him through a trade this season:
1) He still is a rental for the year, and has to be re-signed at season's end; he is open to other teams Yankees, Rangers etc.
2) Who do we have to give up - Bourjos, Morales? Those are still considerable components of our FUTURE team...we have to be careful because it would NOT be guaranteed that we could keep Hamels. So we'd be giving up GREAT prospects for very little; a partial season.

Angels have to be careful before they make moves, let's not ruin the next 3-5 years just to chase a ring for this year. I trust that Dipoto will handle things carefully and wisely.

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/5/12
  • sugamonkey
If he wants to be a Yankee then I say STAY AWAY!!!
  • Reply to this Message
Message 124391.3 was deleted
  • 7/6/12
  • bawah3

Pperfectly said!
Dipoto is wise enough to not give away the future for half a season,
Though some fans cannot think that deep.

It is all about trying to sign him long term.
And I hope and assume they'll offer him a great deal.

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/6/12
  • Angeleer

< It is all about trying to sign him long term. >

If that is true, and I don't think it is, then the Angels shouldn't trade for Hamels. Hamels isn't going to give any team a discount, and if he wants to play "closer to home" then the Dodgers would probably be happy to oblige. Hamels will get a contract comparable to what Matt Cain got, 6 years and $127.5 million, and I don't think the Angels can afford that.

The Angels could still trade for Hamels with the plan being he will help them this year. Then, at the end of the season offer him whatever it takes to get a supplemental 1st round draft pick, probably in the range of $12-14 million. If he accepts, great. Otherwise the Angels get an additional 1st round pick.

The question is, what will it take to get him? The rumors are it would start with Bourjos, and I'm not convinced that 3 months of Hamels is worth 4 years of Bourjos, even with that draft pick.

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/6/12
  • pokerbrat

<Then, at the end of the season offer him whatever it takes to get a supplemental 1st round draft pick, probably in the range of $12-14 million.>

I don't mean to keep harping on this, but in the new CBA a team that acquires a pending free agent via trade can't collect draft choices if he signs somewhere else the following winter.

<Buster Olney
?@Buster_ESPN

Follow
Some rival execs think PHI would have a tougher time getting asking price for Hamels than before because of new no-compensation pick rule.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/219511182200029186

<EXPLAINING GARZA’S VALUE

Cubs right-hander Matt Garza isn’t in the class of Greinke or Hamels as a top-of-the-rotation starter, but he might be a more valuable trade asset.

Which raises the question: Will the Cubs get the value they want for Garza? If not, they simply could wait until the off-season to trade him.

Here’s the difference: Greinke and Hamels are potential free agents. Under the new labor agreement, a club that acquires such a player in the middle of a season no longer will receive draft picks if he departs at the end.

Garza, on the other hand, is under club control through 2013. He would qualify for draft-pick compensation as long as he was not traded in the middle of next season, when he would be in the same position that Greinke and Hamels are in now.

Some executives believe the entire draft-pick question is overstated. The Giants traded prized right-hander Zach Wheeler to the Mets for outfielder Carlos Beltran last season knowing that they could not offer Beltran arbitration and get draft picks on the back end.>

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Zack-Greinke-Milwaukee-Brewers-Cole-Hamels-Philadelphia-Phillies-trade-talks-070212

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/6/12
  • bleedinred

IF the Angels could add Hamels for Bourjos, I think they need to consider it strongly.

Bourjos has his talents, but they are replaceable.. he is a "spare part" right now an probably in the next several years frankly.

Trumbo needs to play, Trout is a fixture in center, an Wells is practically untradeable.
Add that Hunter is seeing success in the two spot along with his desire to stay in Anaheim at a greatly reduced rate makes him a lock to re-sign. He is a PR dream for the Angels.

With club options on "Dr. Jeckyl" Santana & "hobbled" Haren to be determined, re-signing Hamels would not be out of the question really. That would be the best scenario.

Truth is, it has been a decade since the team has seen the big dance...and you know Texas is gonna make some kind of run at pitching before the deadline...

The Angels should kick the tires...and make the move, even if it is a rental. PB does not have a place on this team (except as a defensive replacement for Trumbo late in games).

I would LOVE to see Weaver, Wilson, and Hamels even for the short term.
Let next year take care of it's self.

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/6/12
  • lightitupbaby
I don't think Hamels is the target. I think there's a decent chance we'll see a trade for Greinke in the next 24 hours.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/6/12
  • pokerbrat

<6 years and $127.5 million, and I don't think the Angels can afford that>

Assuming the Angels don't pick up Haren and Santana's options, and don't offer Takahashi arbitration along with Ianneta opting out, the Angels payroll should be in the $118M range. That should be enough to acquire a high end starting pitcher, catcher and a quality relief pitcher or two. The Angels will shed $27M in payroll after Abreu and T. Hunters contracts expire.

Hunter: $18M

Abreu : $9M

Takahashi : $4.2M

Iannetta : $ 3.5M ($5M club option that Iannetta has the right to void)

Hawkins : $3M

Izzy: $3.8M

Haren : $12.75M ( $15.5M option for 2013)

Santana: $11.2M ( $13M option for 2013)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAA/2012-roster.shtml

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/6/12
  • pokerbrat

< I think there's a decent chance we'll see a trade for Greinke in the next 24 hours. >

???????????

Have you heard anything? Just asking :)

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/6/12
  • lightitupbaby
Nope. Just speculating. We need a starter on Sunday and Zack's day to pitch is tomorrow.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/6/12
  • pokerbrat
Oops sorry. I just now read your reply to me on another thread regarding draft pick compensation and the new CBA
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/6/12
  • pokerbrat

lol! I figured. I just had to ask :)

I think Santana will get the start of Sunday on short rest with all hands available due to the All Star break.

Greg Smith could also be an option

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/6/12
  • suiteglove

Peter B has no future in Anaheim.
Im pretty happy about that. The guy has average hands. Drops the Ball way too often and can't hit.

Calhoun will be his replacement and were locked on Wells.

Our starting pitching depth with an unhealthy Haren is trouble. We will be adding a starter if Haren comes off the DL and still struggles. This would clearly mean that Peter B will be gone.

Morales is key to our lineup for the next 2 years and goes nowhere.

BEEN SAYING this for 12 months and people won t listen.

PETER B was replaced by Mike Trout... thank god.

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/6/12
  • lightitupbaby
Santana certainly didn't get overworked in his last start! And pitching at home is a big plus for him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/6/12
  • AprilThruSeptember

Drops the ball way too often?

You really don't like Bourjos, do you?

I like Kole Calhoun a lot, but I've asked this question before and haven't had a reply; is Calhoun as fast as Bourjos?

I'm guessing "no."

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 7/6/12
  • angelscubs

I would assume that Haren has had an MRI by now. Would love to know the results. Lower back pain, since he has had it all season, probably isn't going away in a 2 week DL stint.

I agree with LIU that something is going to happen soon.

The trouble with a Garza trade, is that the Cubs are going to want to try and include Soriano in any major deal they do. They are desperate to dump his contract somewhere. If not for that, Garza would probably be here now.

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/6/12
  • Gone_Fishing
Calhoun has adequate speed for a corner outfielder. Trout is the CF of the future for the Angels. If Bourjos, a reserve outfielder, can be packaged for a decent pitcher, then the deal needs to be done.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/6/12
  • lightitupbaby
Tests were negative to any damage. Showed inflammation only. Haren is planning on missing just 2 starts.

Edited 7/6/12   by  lightitupbaby
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/6/12
  • exileindc
So it's just muscle then and not any sort of issue with discs or bone?
  • Reply to this Message